Sleep Build Up On Eyes

Waggy

My dog seems to develop a constant build up of sleep & junk near his eyes and if you try to pull it off it causes him some discomfort and then it looks sore around the area. Any ideas on how to remove this without stressing out the dog.

What breed of dog and how old? The best way to remove gunk is to get a warm wet facewasher or cotton ball, hold it on the area for about a minute and then wipe or comb the gunk away. You should clean his eyes regularly to prevent it building up, and perhaps wipe the lids with saline to help them dry.

Check first incase it is a medical condition,

But my bullmastiff gets eye gooba,

(aswell as plenty of drool and foamy froth plus things hidden in his gums !!)

But he has his own face washers in the laundry , and i also keep a box of baby wipes at the back door for quick freshen ups:-)

He does seem to do the.....awe do you have to....

But he knows the routine and i think its better then when he tries to wipe his face clean on me or my pants:-)

Could it be dry eye? This is one of the symptoms.

Even if it isn't, you could try using Systane eye drops - most human eye medication is good for dogs too.

Systane eye drops are really good, you only need one and they seem to last. I have dry eye and so does one of my dogs!

I'm having lots of trouble at this time of year and also bought an eye bath and solution ...