Choosing A Flea/worm/mite/tick Treatment Confusion!

It has been maaaany years since I had a dog. Back then it was heartworm tablets and flea powder/wash. Now the treatments are much more broad based!!

So with all the different treatments... Some cover some things and others don't. I will be taking delivery of a Cavalier King Charles tomorrow (wheeeee!) and I can't decide which treatment I want for him. Cavs are prone to ear mites, fleas and worms are the last thing I want him to have and Revolution seems to do everything (bar ticks and that one also kills flea eggs whereas others apparently don't). However, Ticks are a worry (friends have lost dogs) but then again I don't live in a bushy area (suburbs but with a heavily treed park over the road).

So confusion abounds; I will be seeing the vet once I get the pup home but I'm still in the dark. Any personal stories of using any of these "multi" products and how they work?

Hi SCC, bet you are excited about your new Cavy. I love all the excitment, fun & love new puppies bring. Enjoy & welcome.

To answer your question. I use Advantix spot on with my 2 BC's. Does fleas, also helps keep mozzies & sandflies away. Does ticks but you should

still need check your dog daily for those just in case. I am not sure where you are but unless you live in Vic. or somewhere where there aren't ticks,

you still should go over your pup. They can pick them up pretty much anywhere. Sure there is less chance in suburbia than in the country say but they are there.

We find Avantix very effective. My dogs are vac. for heartworm yearly at vets & I stomach worm them 3 times a year with Drontal.

If you are worried about Ear mites you may be better off with Advocate, another spot on that does fleas & mites but NOT ticks.

Heard really good about Comfortis flea tablets too. So that may be another to look into.

Your right there are lots of spot ons & tablets around nowdays, just got to find one that suits your pooches needs. Hope I was of some help.

Good luck with your new baby :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I use Advocate for my dogs.

For my fosters I use Advantage plus Heartguard and I worm them. This is when I first get them if they haven't had a Heartworm test yet. Heartguard is OK even if they have Heartworm.

Once I get the all clear, I switch to Advocate.

For ticks I use a Preventix tick collar but you really can't rely on anything totally and need to check your dog thoroughly, morning and night and that includes looking under the gum flaps.

There have been many dogs with ticks in my area in the last few weeks, not all have made it.

More tips - just make sure the product is the right one for a puppy. Buy online - it's much cheaper.

I won't use Comfortis as there is a risk of a reaction, a friend tried it on her 6 yr old dog and he fitted so badly she thought he wasn't going to make it. he'd been in fine health all his life, the only change was the use of Comfortis. Since he's been off it, no more fits. I have old dogs and it isn't recommended for them apparently.

I live in Queensland on the coast, and although I'm in the suburbs there is bush nearby.

As far as chemicals go, I'd rather that than a dead or sick puppy. I will make an appointment with the vet ASAP also and ask what is appropriate for his age.

I am aware that pets have had reactions to Comfortis so I think I'll stay away from that. I will also check him every day.

Edited by SunnyCoastCav

Guest donatella

Ok i'm in Brisbane and I use Frontline Plus (my breeder said not to use Advantix as she herself had a showdog that had skin burns plus she knew of other small dogs who had the same effect). Frontline Plus and Advantix are the only 2 spot on treatment for paralysis ticks but you need to apply every 2 weeks for effect, it does get costly but yes its better then a dead dog (mine live inside pretty much 100% so i'm not as worried).

As for fleas and heartworm I use Interceptor Spectrum every 4-6 weeks. I say 4-6 weeks because you can actually make the drug last 6 weeks but it says give monthly (easier to remember) however if you read the fine print you really only need to give every 6 weeks and the drug is still effective.

My dogs are tiny. One is 1.5kgs at 5 months and has been on all of the above since she was an even smaller puppy, a Cav is much larger then that, you will be fine with any chemicals you chose to use :D.

Hope that helps.

Edited by donatella

Guest donatella

There is a new flea & tick (including paralysis tick) spot on available called Exetick.

Made by Coopers who have been around for ages.

That's interesting to know. I'm off to google Exetick! Always interested to hear about new products.

ETA: Wow its quite cheap! $40 for a 6 pack (15kg and under), I'm sure I pay nearly $60 for Frontline Plus

Edited by donatella

Guest donatella

..and just remember NOT to use adult products on baby puppies ...

I'm pretty sure they are all for puppies 6 weeks and older, I don't think there is specifically formulated flea/tick/worming just for puppies?

Guest donatella

Hey great news! I thought the breeder would have sent you a little plan, I know mine had all mine written down too :D

By the way Deals Direct have free shipping today if you wanted to check out pet carriers.