Shampoos And Skin Conditions

voloclydes

i wanted some advice about shampoos..

there is 2 pages of the stuff here..

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/Products/Medicated-Shampoos-Conditioners

the back ground saga! :coffee:

dog has had some skin condition with scabs since winter, in fact he at one stage licked an ulceration on his leg....

he had some other skin dramas, so i frontlined him suspecting mange... wombats and foxes round here.. so not out of the question.

it improved after 2 frontlines about 3 weeks apart(was in augustish)... but the leg was still bad. now have gotten leg healed after bandaging. as both dals were licking it... the owner of the leg cause it hurt and the mothering one to make it better. :banghead::shrug:

the other skin drama on his head, face and ears is worse. in the begining i blamed rough play.. now not so sure.

the new packets of frontline are in the letter box as i type and this morning bathed in triocil. i have been putting some neocourt on it as well... it seems to get better slightly and then flare up.

so with all that back ground is there anything else that is different to triocil... or more effective over a broader range of bugs?

Edited by voloclydes

I'd suggest you establish precisely what you're dealing with before treatment.

A skin scraping would confirm mange. At any rate, I suggest a trip to the vet.

If you are dealing with an allergic reaction, you need to treat that quite differently to a staph infection or similar. Get a diagnosis.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

lets see frontline won't hurt him. neither will a good bath rather than his morning fall into the dam...

but in the mean time the dog is scratching.... my vets away atm... and i am not going to the expensive one as we have already had 3 very expensive trips there recently. i need to wait till pay day any way.

in the mean time i wanted to try some stuff first so he does not at best get worse... but thanks for the comparison, it really helped... i'll just take pot luck.

Perhaps try calendula tea - medicated shampoos can do more harm than good on certain conditions and shouldn't be applied to any open wounds and a lot of them strip oils out of the skin which can cause further issues.

Instead of frontline I'd consider switching to revolution or advocate - if demodex mites is a possibility they seem to work better.

Agree with HW you really need a diagnosis at this point and the chemicals may potentially make things worse in some instances and be ineffective in others. If you want to do something in the meantime I would actually not be bathing too often as it will remove natural oils from the skin. Rinse with vinegar if infection is suspected. But again depending on the condition this may be ineffective and you really need to know what it is so you can treat the cause appropriately. Until then you may just end up with a situation where you are throwing money and effort at it for months (as you pretty much have already) to treat it to no effect when the right treatment may clear it up quickly.

Agree with HW you really need a diagnosis at this point and the chemicals may potentially make things worse in some instances and be ineffective in others. If you want to do something in the meantime I would actually not be bathing too often as it will remove natural oils from the skin. Rinse with vinegar if infection is suspected. But again depending on the condition this may be ineffective and you really need to know what it is so you can treat the cause appropriately. Until then you may just end up with a situation where you are throwing money and effort at it for months (as you pretty much have already) to treat it to no effect when the right treatment may clear it up quickly.

yes...

try the calendula tea to help generally .... no bathing with any sort of detergent/soap ..and get a diagnosis as soon as you can - so then you can treat it effectively. :)

lets see frontline won't hurt him. neither will a good bath rather than his morning fall into the dam...

but in the mean time the dog is scratching.... my vets away atm... and i am not going to the expensive one as we have already had 3 very expensive trips there recently. i need to wait till pay day any way.

in the mean time i wanted to try some stuff first so he does not at best get worse... but thanks for the comparison, it really helped... i'll just take pot luck.

[/quo

Your comment about the dam raises a red flag for me...we have a small dam here and all 4 of my dogs have frequent not serious skin issues...due to the dry the dogs are now fenced off from using the dam and surprise not ONE skin issue since. Something to think about. When they have had issues due to swimming in the dam water they have needed antibiotics and Malaseb shampoo as a back up to the antibiotics. Hope you get it sorted.

The dog had his first shampoo in gosh I can't remember. There is no way he's too chemialised.

Frontline was a precaution due to the rabbits they have been chasing, I thought that striking fleas and mange off would be the vets first stop, as we have had mange a few times.

Even tho he didn't look dirty boy did some grit come out. The fact the girl dog is mothering the sores makes me think fungal/bacterial. Dals seem to want to stress lick everthing.

The dog had his first shampoo in gosh I can't remember. There is no way he's too chemialised.

Frontline was a precaution due to the rabbits they have been chasing, I thought that striking fleas and mange off would be the vets first stop, as we have had mange a few times.

Even tho he didn't look dirty boy did some grit come out. The fact the girl dog is mothering the sores makes me think fungal/bacterial. Dals seem to want to stress lick everthing.

From what I've just googled, Frontline is not effective on mange mites. You need Frontline Plus or Advocate.

Dogs will lick any irritation. I really think you should visit the vet.