High Liver Enzymes In Dogs

Thanks to Stellnme for the kind words.

There are two Cushings tests. With the first, Grumpy came up negative. The eight hour Dexamethasone Suppression Test, he came up positive. Addisons is the opposite of Cushings, not enough cortisol in the body rather than too much. Grumpy gets tremors but this is a result of the medication. He didn't have them beforehand.

Grumpy doesn't do we'll at the vet. He gets, well, grumpy. For the DST test, I stayed at the vet all day with him. They set me up in the back room with Grumpy and I worked from there. Perhaps you could ask to stay as I did.

Thank you Sheridan for your reply :)

If it comes to that I will stay with her, if she needs that other test. I will bring it up with the vet.

Hope Grumpy is doing ok all things considering?

He's having his 3 monthly update test on Friday. Hopefully, his cortisol levels will be good.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Jules. Good luck for tomorrow and please let us know how Renae is. Please don't blame yourself, whatever it is, with a well-loved and looked after dog like I'm sure yours is, you have done everything you can. Always good to know what you are dealing with, though.

Thanks stellnme :)

Her appointment is at 9.45 SA time.

The good news is they didn't find any tumours just some weak areas eg her gall bladder, so given all the symptoms and recent blood test results, they have come to the conclusion it is most likely reactive hepatitis , either built up from source of toxin (mostly found in dogs that have eaten diseased dead carcases) which in her case thats never occurred (as they are mostly inside or in a small area of our backyard which we keep clean and we mostly supervise them), or it could be some viral bacteria thats got into her system somehow, or in the rare case she might have also had a rare reaction to the comfortis we started on them earlier this year. They are not convinced its that, but they cant outrule it. (its very rare they said as a reaction to comfortis or any medication a dog has been on, but it can happen) Her liver is showing signs of shutting down, so they want her go on 2 lots of medications (one is being especially being made up atm) and either it will help rejuvenate her liver and organs, and if it doesn't work, then she will deteriorate. blank.gif She has to have another blood test in 6 weeks time to see if the meds are working or not.. unless she gets worse then she has to come in sooner. They don't quite know if the tremors/shakes are associated but it does make sense the vet said if there are toxins in the liver then its possible its coming out in that form.. so either shes going get better, or worse. Time will tell but for now she's not losing weight or vomiting, so that's a positive thing ..

They did suspect Cushings but its more probable to be this reactive hepatitis condition.

I forgot to check about giving her that milk thistle that some of you have given your dogs, but when the vet rings again to let me know to pick up the second lot of meds, I will ask then.

I guess we will have to go from what the results reveal in 6 weeks time..

She's just over 10 years old, and still healthy otherwise.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

The good news is they didn't find any tumours just some weak areas eg her gall bladder, so given all the symptoms and recent blood test results, they have come to the conclusion it is most likely reactive hepatitis , either built up from source of toxin (mostly found in dogs that have eaten diseased dead carcases) which in her case thats never occurred (as they are mostly inside or in a small area of our backyard which we keep clean and we mostly supervise them), or it could be some viral bacteria thats got into her system somehow, or in the rare case she might have also had a rare reaction to the comfortis we started on them earlier this year. They are not convinced its that, but they cant outrule it. (its very rare they said as a reaction to comfortis or any medication a dog has been on, but it can happen) Her liver is showing signs of shutting down, so they want her go on 2 lots of medications (one is being especially being made up atm) and either it will help rejuvenate her liver and organs, and if it doesn't work, then she will deteriorate. blank.gif She has to have another blood test in 6 weeks time to see if the meds are working or not.. unless she gets worse then she has to come in sooner. They don't quite know if the tremors/shakes are associated but it does make sense the vet said if there are toxins in the liver then its possible its coming out in that form.. so either shes going get better, or worse. Time will tell but for now she's not losing weight or vomiting, so that's a positive thing ..

They did suspect Cushings but its more probable to be this reactive hepatitis condition.

I forgot to check about giving her that milk thistle that some of you have given your dogs, but when the vet rings again to let me know to pick up the second lot of meds, I will ask then.

I guess we will have to go from what the results reveal in 6 weeks time..

She's just over 10 years old, and still healthy otherwise.

Jules,

Would one of the meds be artificial bear vile (ursodeoxycholic acid) ? it's really good for helping the gall bladder cope.

I'm sorry the diagnosis is so confusing, hope the next blood test sheds more light on the problem and that the meds help. It does make you wonder where she could have got it from if it is reactive hepatitis. Hope she improves and you get somewhere with it all.

Jules,

Would one of the meds be artificial bear vile (ursodeoxycholic acid) ? it's really good for helping the gall bladder cope.

I'm not sure tbh, the vet is ordering them in. My husband was the one to take Renae to the U/S, and he cant remember what she said they were? All we know is they going be quite expensive ! eeek I will let you know what they are when they are ready to be picked up..

the ones we have atm is an Antibiotic called Metronidazole 200mg every 12 hours for the next 21 days.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

That doesn't sound great. Hopefully the medicine will work.

The other thing that is supposed to be very good for the liver is SAMe. Did they suggest Hills L/D food?

We hope the meds will work too Jules ! :crossfingers:

No she didnt suggest the Hills L/D food actually. Renae has that in the past for upset stomachs. I might bring it up with her when i check with her about the milk thistle, as i have no idea when i find it, how much to actually give her of it?

What us SAMe?

I'm sorry the diagnosis is so confusing, hope the next blood test sheds more light on the problem and that the meds help. It does make you wonder where she could have got it from if it is reactive hepatitis. Hope she improves and you get somewhere with it all.

Thanks stellnme :)

It does seem all very confusing right now.

I keep thinking how on earth if thats what shes got, how did such toxins build up in her body. I think its early stage, so im hoping the meds will nip it in the bud!

We will find out in 6 weeks i guess,

There has been talk about liver biopsies if the meds don't work, but i don't know if i want to put her through all of that at her age.. its not like she's really ill at this stage,,

I really hope the shakes/tremors/trances are part of it all, and that will come right when her liver is working properly again. I can only hope and be positive for now :)

That doesn't sound great. Hopefully the medicine will work.

The other thing that is supposed to be very good for the liver is SAMe. Did they suggest Hills L/D food?

We hope the meds will work too Jules ! :crossfingers:

No she didnt suggest the Hills L/D food actually. Renae has that in the past for upset stomachs. I might bring it up with her when i check with her about the milk thistle, as i have no idea when i find it, how much to actually give her of it?

What us SAMe?

It would be a good idea to reduce the work the liver has to do, which is why the Hills L/D would be good.

SAMe is an amino acid which helps with liver issues.

It would be a good idea to reduce the work the liver has to do, which is why the Hills L/D would be good.

SAMe is an amino acid which helps with liver issues.

Ok I will look into getting some Hills L/D food..

where would i get that SAMe from? how much of it would you give a cavalier a day?

She gets glyde most nights,

http://www.glydefordogs.com/

the ones we have atm is an Antibiotic called Metronidazole 200mg every 12 hours for the next 21 days.

This is what Scoota was on when he was first diagnosed - see my first post - he was also on SAMe (for 6 months - its available at Pharmacies and costs about $35-$40 a bottle)

and mine wouldn't touch the L/D food

Edited by Ptolomy

SAMe goes by the trade name Denosyl - comes in 3 dosages depending on the dog's weight. :) Your Vet should be able to get it.

We don't have much luck getting dogs to eat L/d - well mine won't, but it's worth a try.

Ok thanks, will look into it. I have ordered some of the L/D dry food, and the vets have said theres a money back guarantee if she won't eat it. I seriously doubt she won't eat it because she will eat anything, shes a cav :laugh: Its very expensive ! (in my world anyway)

This is what Scoota was on when he was first diagnosed - see my first post - he was also on SAMe (for 6 months - its available at Pharmacies and costs about $35-$40 a bottle)

and mine wouldn't touch the L/D food

Yeah i went back and looked at your first post again :) I will look into it We have just spent a bucketful already over last few days, so when I have saved up again will probably get some .

I googled about those antibiotics and it says something about not suitable for dogs with liver issues, or something to that effect? so i hope the vet knows what shes doing !

Amber is on Metronidazole and a diuretic. She loves the L/D! First food she has really liked. Poppy happily steals it too.

Oh thats good that one of the dogs in this thread really loves that L/D dry food. I have ordered some for Renae. Im sure she will eat it without any problems :)

One of my friends said in regards to me trying her on that Milk thistle herb ..

''I would like to suggest that you check with the vet before giving Milk Thistle to Renae as it also works to detox which means that it could interfere with or stop the meds she is on from building up and/or taking effect.''