Humping

Pretty Miss Emma

Your dog humping his bed is kind of strange, I've never heard quite anything like it. And maybe yes, I think you should stop him from doing that. If you encourage that behavior, there would be a tendency that he would be switching that humping to something else. Besides, it's really disturbing. If you don't want him to do something you don't like, stop the action immediately.

:rofl:

It's actually pretty common, and not that disturbing really - humping is a fact of life, in a way it's doggy masturbation (which is also normal in humams).

Most dogs that hump beds or toys stick with beds or toys, they don't switch to other things.

Most dogs that hump beds or toys stick with beds or toys, they don't switch to other things.

Yes my 3 yo desexed female will air-hump her bed/blanket but never tried to hump anything else! She usually does it in the evening if the humans are too tired to be interesting, along with other boredom behaviours like shaking a toy while running in circles, or hiding a ball in a rug then trying to find it again.

It's not disturbing to us at all, just dogs doing dog stuff :) OH or I generally comment something like "time for the 6:30 humping!" and ignore her, she stops after about a minute.

My Dobe girl went through a humpy phase this year. It seemed to be mostly when she felt good or was happy/excited after play etc and she would air hump most often. Was pretty funny actually. We didn't encourage it as such but yeah, it's dogs doing dog stuff. :)

Your dog humping his bed is kind of strange, I've never heard quite anything like it. And maybe yes, I think you should stop him from doing that. If you encourage that behavior, there would be a tendency that he would be switching that humping to something else. Besides, it's really disturbing. If you don't want him to do something you don't like, stop the action immediately.

:confused: actually it's very common and is not a disturbing behaviour at all

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has a girl that humps :o :D Stella does the hump the air thing quite often. IMHO I think it is just a feel good/excited

type of behaviour because it is always after a game or first thing in the morning when she first sees me. Sometimes she will be playing with Sonny & all of a sudden as

soon as the game has stopped, she also does it. Only last a few seconds. I haven't tried to stop her cause after all she isn't actually doing it to anybody. I agree Aussie3,

it isn't disturbing & after all she is a dog :laugh:

Hmm yeah. Wel we've started to have a bit of humping of some select humans. But there is a pattern to it - it's all about excitement! Either they have revved him up a lot or they come in to the office and we haven't had a visitor in ages (so for Hamish it's really exciting just because there's someone new and he's bored!). So I'm now just being vigilant in those circumstances and he gets growled at if he decides to have a go! It seems to be working for now!

I agree it is very common and not really worrying at all. I'd rather my dog hump a toy or its bed than a person or another dog.

My female dog used to hump her big duck toy when she got excited. I never did anything about it and she's stopped doing it now (though she doesn't have the toy anymore as she destroyed it!).

She is very frequently the humpee though- lots of male dogs seem attracted to her despite her being desexed! She is very pretty :D

• 3 weeks later...

My 11 month old Frenchie, Ruby, has just recently started humping our legs when she is bored and wants to play and has tried all other methods to try to get us to entertain her.

We defintley do not encourage it and command her her to stop but its pretty funny because she works herself around your leg like a stipper humping a stripper pole. we are often telling her "Off" while in fits of laughter just because of her method of humping. I know its a phase and she is doing it to get our attention.