Odd Sleeping Spots

kayla1

During the day, my dogs like to sleep in odd places. Annie tends to perch on things like a cat would, and I sometimes find her snoozing on the back of the couch etc. She also loves anything soft and fluffy - the softer and cosier the better. :laugh:

Meanwhile her big sister Kayla has taken to lying across the hallway, or across doorways (which confuses poor Coco no end because he doesn't know how to get past).

Does your dog like to sleep in odd places?

That doesn't sound odd. It is normal for animal to seek soft cosy spots, or to choose to sit in places that are out of the way (refuge) or where they can see what is going on, like in a doorway (prospect).

Another reason dogs lie in doorways is to deter other dogs from going past. It's resource guarding.

It's up to us to provide sleeping spots for our pets that are soft and cosy, where they won't be tripped over, and where they can see what is going on around them. And to make them get out of the doorway if it means people or other pets are denied access.

It's up to us to provide sleeping spots for our pets that are soft and cosy, where they won't be tripped over, and where they can see what is going on around them. And to make them get out of the doorway if it means people or other pets are denied access.

Ha ha, must tell my 11 year old Chequers that she should prefer soft cosy bedding to the doorway! In her case it has nothing to do with guarding or seeing what is going on around them it is simply where she wants to be.

Ha ha, must tell my 11 year old Chequers that she should prefer soft cosy bedding to the doorway! In her case it has nothing to do with guarding or seeing what is going on around them it is simply where she wants to be.

How do you know this? What do you think the advantage is to her sleeping in a door way?

Lots of dogs sleep in doorways, far more than it just being accountable to a random coincidence. There are reasons why some dogs choose to sleep in doorways at some times. But it's not unusual for the owners to be unaware of why they might be doing it.

In the same way that most people like to be in rooms with windows so they can see out, many dogs like to look out doorways - for them it's a window at dog height. Not odd or inexplicable, even if they can't talk to us and tell us why they chose that spot to rest.

That doesn't sound odd. It is normal for animal to seek soft cosy spots, or to choose to sit in places that are out of the way (refuge) or where they can see what is going on, like in a doorway (prospect).

Another reason dogs lie in doorways is to deter other dogs from going past. It's resource guarding.

I understand what you are saying and why dogs may choose certain sleeping spots over others, and it goes without saying my dogs are provided with a wide range of sleeping options.

I am also aware of resource guarding. Whilst it may be the case with other dogs, it is not the case with Kayla. Yes I do sometimes allow her to sleep in doorways. She is an older girl that has spinal issues, and quite frankly on days when she is feeling stiff or tired she can sleep wherever she wants and I will make sure the other dogs have access to where they need to go.

FWIW, this thread was meant as a light-hearted discussion about the various spots that dogs may choose to sleep in, or even photos of such. Perhaps next time I shall avoid the use of adjectives such as 'odd' and qualify my statements in terms of the above, which to be honest I hadn't thought necessary at the time given the intention of the thread.

I understand what you are saying and why dogs may choose certain sleeping spots over others, and it goes without saying my dogs are provided with a wide range of sleeping options.

I am also aware of resource guarding. Whilst it may be the case with other dogs, it is not the case with Kayla. Yes I do sometimes allow her to sleep in doorways. She is an older girl that has spinal issues, and quite frankly on days when she is feeling stiff or tired she can sleep wherever she wants and I will make sure the other dogs have access to where they need to go.

FWIW, this thread was meant as a light-hearted discussion about the various spots that dogs may choose to sleep in, or even photos of such. Perhaps next time I shall avoid the use of adjectives such as 'odd' and qualify my statements in terms of the above, which to be honest I hadn't thought necessary at the time given the intention of the thread.

There is no harm in phrasing something you think is odd as a question. I just don't think it's odd, and is no less a serious topic for discussion of dog behaviour than most other we have going on here. Dogs do lots of dog things, and the combined knowledge here on DOL can explain the meanings behind or reasons for some of it. Our dogs are better off if we can gain a little understanding of them and their needs rather than just laughing at them for not behaving like a little furry person.

You think your targeted dog is confused, I would suggest the possibly the dog has a good idea of what is going on, and is displaying subtly anxious behaviour. Up to you if you want to look into it more or if you are happy to think your dogs are odd or confused and leave it at that.

Stan lays in the hallway just inside the door when we come home for a walk. His butt is facing the door so he's definately not watching the world go by or guarding anything that's just where he collapses after his strenuous workout....around the block :laugh:

When my partner and I visited my mum for the weekend, we took his ACD Ruby. Her and my lab Sam get on quite well and will tend to share kennels, she also had her bed bought down but when we woke up in the morning Ruby had perched herself on top of the expensive glass outdoor setting and Sam was sitting on one of the chairs upright but fast asleep! I can't imagine either of those being very comfortable!

There is no harm in phrasing something you think is odd as a question. I just don't think it's odd, and is no less a serious topic for discussion of dog behaviour than most other we have going on here. Dogs do lots of dog things, and the combined knowledge here on DOL can explain the meanings behind or reasons for some of it. Our dogs are better off if we can gain a little understanding of them and their needs rather than just laughing at them for not behaving like a little furry person.

You think your targeted dog is confused, I would suggest the possibly the dog has a good idea of what is going on, and is displaying subtly anxious behaviour. Up to you if you want to look into it more or if you are happy to think your dogs are odd or confused and leave it at that.

The fact that I started a light-hearted thread about sleeping spots does not mean I do not try to understand the behaviour of dogs, nor would I make any assumptions about anyone else starting (or replying to) a thread of this nature.

I have worked with a number of behaviourists over time to help me better understand the behaviour of my own dogs (hence my knowledge of Coco being confused), and will continue to do so if I have any doubts or if the need arises.

I have a foster at the moment who I keep "losing" - I know there is absolutely no way he could get out anywhere, but he's partly blind, I think also a bit deaf, and he likes holing up in or on things. Basically, calling out to him is futile, so I have to go on little searches all the time :laugh: .

Twice now I've found him curled up next to the toilet in the downstairs bathroom, once curled up on a spare plastic tray for my rat cage, and once behind a washing basket under hte kitchen bench. He is white, and likes blending in to things!

The fact that I started a light-hearted thread about sleeping spots does not mean I do not try to understand the behaviour of dogs, nor would I make any assumptions about anyone else starting (or replying to) a thread of this nature.

I have worked with a number of behaviourists over time to help me better understand the behaviour of my own dogs (hence my knowledge of Coco being confused), and will continue to do so if I have any doubts or if the need arises.

If you say a behaviour is odd, it can be assumed you don't think it is usual or normal. Or does odd mean something else to you?

Somebody else recently stated a thread about their dog's behaviour that they found odd, and a few suggestions were made about possible reasons. I think these discussions can be helpful, even if that's not why you started the thread.

If you say a behaviour is odd, it can be assumed you don't think it is usual or normal. Or does odd mean something else to you?

Somebody else recently stated a thread about their dog's behaviour that they found odd, and a few suggestions were made about possible reasons. I think these discussions can be helpful, even if that's not why you started the thread.

Yes these discussions are useful, and if this thread turns into a more serious discussion than intended then so be it.

If the consensus is that the thread title and initial post are misleading, because of my use of the term odd in an unintended way, then I would be happy to go back and edit.

I personally think the thread title is fine :shrug:

I instantly thought of Quinn, she likes to snooze in front of the toilet in my ensuite :laugh: I'll try and post a photo on the computer later.

I have some funny pics of the cat sleeping in weird places too, he likes to be inside the green shopping bags, in shoe boxes if he can fit, in baskets...