Having Trouble Sourcing Hills Prescription Diet

best4koda

seriously don't get this. For example, the starter of this topic mentioned that he/she needs allergen free dog food. I would then ask the vet exactly what the dog is allergic to. If it's grain (the most likely candidate), then grab some of those grain-free range from various brands. The 'Hills Z/D' ingredients is just..nasty!

It's similar to human condition. If my doctor says I'm lacking Vit C and he said to buy his home made orange juice then I may buy some, but I would also consider to buy grapefruit from somewhere else or even the Home Brand blackcurrent juice. Let's put it this way, Hills stuff are not medicine! They are just food that was marketed to have a medicine look and feel. It's a game changer if the doctor is actually prescribing me and selling an official medicine and not regular food.

Unfortunately for my dog who is recovering from an extreme immune response and hypersensitivity reaction to "something" that caused the skin to peel off his pads and for his paws to ulcerate, the pathology results of skin biopsies have not been able to identify an allergen. So I can't just "ask the vet exactly what the dog is allergic to"!

He is currently on Hills Z/D Ultra as his sole source of food (and has been now for the last 5 weeks) and this has resulted in healing to the effect that no sign of the ulcers or peeling is evident. His coat is back to being soft and strong instead of dry and breaking, and his mood is no longer depressed and lethargic.

So for me and my boy, the Hills Z/D has been a god send and I thank my vet every time I see him for putting my boy onto it!

Oh, and ETA on forums generally means "Edited To Add..."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images