Diarrhoea After Worming And C5 Shot

Stewie_the_Frenchie

Hi all,

I bet you've answered this a dozen times - I searched a few threads but it wasn't specific enough to what I'm wanting to know.

Omar is 10 and a half weeks and had his 2nd round of shots and a worming tablet on Saturday. He was a little lethargic that afternoon which was to be expected (and it was 32c here in Melbourne). He also had diarrhoea. He is full of beans and eating and drinking and playing, but still has some diarrhoea - it's now Monday night. He shows no other signs of being poorly, but his stools are still loose.

Normal after worming? Or trip to the vet?

This didn't happen with Turtle (that I can remember), so I'm a little thrown.

Thanks.

It's relatively normal for pups to get a bit loose after worming... but it can also depend on the worming tablet/treatment you use.

I use Fenpral or Canex for my foster pups, as I find they are not as hard on the gut as Drontal (for example).

I also try not to vaccinate and worm on the same day, as that can sometimes overload the little ones' systems causing any number of undesirable effects.

If his stools are getting firmer over time, then I'd not worry too much about it - especially if he's behaving normally in every other way.

T.

Some pups can react to Vaccinations by being of colour and have a touch of Diarrhoea, bit like human bubs, likewise they can react to worming medications. Both at once is a bit of a double whammy for their little system :) Usually does pass in a day or so, so chalk it up to a learning experience.

Sounds like a relatively normal reaction to me and one that I have observed in my foster puppies several times. It sounds like he is on the mend and I would not be overly concerned at this point :) I imagine that the diarrhea should be gone over the next couple of days.