Weight Loss In Early Pregnancy And Feeding Tips

SLF

So thanks to all for their advice during the breeding phase.....I am very happy to say today I saw at least 5 pups inutero, with the vet predicting up to 8!

However my lovely girl has lost 2.3kgs in just over 3wks...she is nibbling at her food, but not really interested at all.

Her normal diet she will not touch, so I changed to an old favorite and she ate that for a few days, but only about half of her ration.

Now she has a nibble and thats it. So I have tried meaty fresh bones, tasty steak etc to entice her appetite. Today she even knocked back her favoriate treats.

Im sure she will eat eventually but as she is in full work I really need her to maintain a good healthy bodyweight.

I would love to hear your suggestions.

Not sure what work she is doing ... but might I suggest you ease off , and see if her appetite improves?She may feel that any more to carry is very uncomfortable ....

We have working sheepdogs..and often when they are working they eat very little for days on end..esp.when it's hot . I would imagine a belly full of puppies might amplify that feeling?

thankyou, yes I will definately lessen the workload. She has taken to sleeping at the back door, instead of looking for work (she is normally a workaholic) which I took as an indication to slow her down.

Thankfully it is not warm here yet, still in the low to mid 20's but I have purchased some silvermesh in anticiaption of the warm days when she is outside.

Agree with knocking down her workload.

Also instead of trying to continually tempt her with different food, give her something she usually likes but only a small portion. If it's wet food warm it up slightly (room temperature) as then food usually gives off a bit more smell, if it's dry then mix up some 'gravy' and pour it over (gravy can be no more exciting than the water off a meat-ball sized bit of mince cooked in about a cup of water for a couple of minutes) If she eats the whole portion then leave her for a few hours and give her a little more, if she doesn't then throw it away (or feed it to another dog), and offer her fresh later.

Constantly swapping and changing doesn't do any dog any good especially one who's decided to behave like a princess :laugh:

I have stopped all her work, just a play around the yard for her untill she picks ups..or has pups which ever comes first. I really noticed it yesterday when she didnt even want to go swimming. Water is her second passion next to working.

As for being a princess, she is not at all like this normally, however after spending yesterday on the couch (hiding from the heat) and being hand fed salami by my son (who we call the dog whisperer) I think she is definately a DIVA !! :laugh:

She is nibbling at dog roll and fresh meat, so will try small amounts more often.

thankyou.

Has she been prog tested yet - if not I would be getting one done asap.

This ^^

A friend recently had major issues with her bitch's pregnancy and the first and only sign she got was the girl was a little flat and she was off her food. Prog levels dropped dramatically and to cut a long story short she lost the litter, the bitch is now desexed and she has a $7000 vet bill.

I'd be taking her in for a check. Better safe then sorry.

Edited by Bjelkier

My girl refused her meals a lot during her pregnancy from about 5.5 weeks onwards...she would occassionally eat, but very very little....I resorted to buying her roast chicken every night which she would happily eat, but sometimes would leave it also...I was concerned as I wanted her to be getting some nutrients and proteins which are in the dry food, but she wouldnt have a bar of it...

She is a food aholic and it was very odd behaviour for her not to eat..

What I did find worked on occassion was having her eat with the other dogs, she would then eat as she did not want to hand over her dinner to the other dog, but still wouldnt finish her entire meal...

I gave her nutrigel and also mixed up some divetilec for her to drink, which was at least providing her with some nutrients..

I would alternate and buy fresh steak, one thing she seemed to like was cheese and also skinless frankfurts, basically I gave her whatever she would eat, if she was interested in what I was having, I would let her have mine! :laugh:

My bitch never lost weight though....after whelping, a few days later, she was back to her food driven, eat anything self! lol....

She seems to be a bit more 'herslef' she went swimming (of her own accord) yesterday, and I got her to eat some dog roll mashed up with sardines. My version of YUK, however she seemed to think it was ok.

She also had a fatty pork treat.

Not her normal appetite but she probably ate about 1 cup full without prompting.

I will take her to the vet for a weigh this morning, I doubt he will do a PROG Test. The Vet saw her on Wed of this week and she was fine except for the loss of appetite and the docile nature, when she had an ultrasound and we saw at least 5 little pups in there.

The Vet saw her on Wed of this week and she was fine except for the loss of appetite and the docile nature,

Which indicates she is not really fine.

Why won't the vet do a prog. test? You are the one paying .. so theoretically if you request any sort of test, they should oblige :)

Such a drastic change in behaviour is a bit odd ....

She seems to be a bit more 'herslef' she went swimming (of her own accord) yesterday, and I got her to eat some dog roll mashed up with sardines. My version of YUK, however she seemed to think it was ok.

She also had a fatty pork treat.

Not her normal appetite but she probably ate about 1 cup full without prompting.

I will take her to the vet for a weigh this morning, I doubt he will do a PROG Test. The Vet saw her on Wed of this week and she was fine except for the loss of appetite and the docile nature, when she had an ultrasound and we saw at least 5 little pups in there.

Get the prog test done asap, they may have seen 5 pups in the ultrasound but she may be absorbing them. Don't want to alarm you but what you have described sounds very familiar to me. If she is, she could have some or no puppies and those who are born may not be very responsive due to the lack of hormones. If your vet won't do a prog test find another one. Fingers crossed all goes well and your just a few dollars out of pocket.

I would also ask your vet to check her blood sugar levels. We have just had to nurse a bitch through late onset gestational diabetes and significant weight loss was one of the symptoms.

Probably not the case, but it would be worth checking it just to rule it out

So we saw the Vet.

No temp, all good, midly dehydrated..weight gain of 600grms in 3 days dispite the lack of eating.

Did prog test...will u/s again at 35 days which is Friday to be super sure.

Vet seems to think that its due to how many pups are in there, she is very big already...alot of mammary growth. She gets puffed out very easy etc etc..on the scan at 23 days we saw btw 5-8 pups which surprised the vet as apparently thats quite early to see them so clearly and so many of them.

We came home with Nutrigel, more sardines! and fresh milk (which she is really enjoying).

Obviously if the hydration doesnt pick up fluids will be needed, though on our return home yesterday she went straight into the water for a swim :D and ate some lamb chop table scraps.

I really appreciate the advice, thanks again.

She gets puffed out very easy etc etc...

For a bitch that is apparently fit & in full work .. this surprises me ... I have seen bitches still working right up 'til actual whelping ..they looked like they would burst at the seams, and were still charging around!

I am glad she's eating more... keep up the drinking!

Chicken soup is good ..no salt .. and it's very acceptable cold . Any form of dehydration is not a good thing ...

Yes the 'puffing' was only a new thing I noticed.

She is extremely fit, and our other girls have worked untill the were HUGE and basically couldnt move, as you metioned. Which is why it stood out to me.

Well it appears she is feeling better, back to swimming and playing with the other dogs.

She will eat anything with sardines on it! so sardines it is. Weigh in this morning is 18kgs, so she has put on 1kg in 7days which is good to see. Belly is widening, and lots of mammary development.

Funnily she is now 'hiding' food in every corner she can find to snack on later :laugh: not really what I'd like planted around the kitchen/dining room though.

Well it appears she is feeling better, back to swimming and playing with the other dogs.

She will eat anything with sardines on it! so sardines it is. Weigh in this morning is 18kgs, so she has put on 1kg in 7days which is good to see. Belly is widening, and lots of mammary development.

Funnily she is now 'hiding' food in every corner she can find to snack on later :laugh: not really what I'd like planted around the kitchen/dining room though.

glad to hear she is improving :))