Jumping On Bed & Biting My Feet

zuzu

Looking for expert pup advice.

First issue: Our 20wk old Irish Terrier has started jumping on the bed. This is new behaviour as she is now big enough to do it. Last night we quickly confined her to the toilet for 5 minutes. Is this the correct discipline?

Second issue: Puppy bites my feet & slippers when I get up in the morning. She is so excited to see me after she gets out of her crate, but it's driving me nuts. She also leaps up on me, so I cross my arms and look away from her. This doesn't seem to help with the feet biting thing. Any ideas?

Put your boots on when you get up. Maybe coat them with one of those deterrent products. :laugh: Hopefully that will break the habit.

More seriously, tho. As you progress with training, teach her commands such as "no" or "enough" and that will help with lots of things. Maybe even "sit" or "drop" and a treat will do as a distraction in the short term.

:)..and who gave in to cute puppy eyes a few months ago , and let her get away with things? Huh? :)

What training do you do with her each day?

Do you have a yard ? Maybe she can be let out of her crate and have some yard time while you get up?Give her breakfast in a kong, or an old soft drink bottle ..let her take out her excitement on that!

I also suggest you practise " Nothing In Life Is Free" :) LINK HERE

Put your boots on when you get up. Maybe coat them with one of those deterrent products. :laugh: Hopefully that will break the habit.

More seriously, tho. As you progress with training, teach her commands such as "no" or "enough" and that will help with lots of things. Maybe even "sit" or "drop" and a treat will do as a distraction in the short term.

Yes boots. Good idea! LOL. We tried the bitter puppy spray on slippers, but she seems to like it! $13 down the drain. She will go for my feet (and and grab MY socks, underwear etc out of the laundry basket) over my (male) partner's stuff.

:)..and who gave in to cute puppy eyes a few months ago , and let her get away with things? Huh? :)

What training do you do with her each day?

Do you have a yard ? Maybe she can be let out of her crate and have some yard time while you get up?Give her breakfast in a kong, or an old soft drink bottle ..let her take out her excitement on that!

I also suggest you practise " Nothing In Life Is Free" :) LINK HERE

Yes, we have a yard, thanks for suggestions. And thanks for that link. It looks like much needed advice.

This is our first dog and so far the training is going very well: sit, drop, wait, heel etc. She just graduated from Puppy Pre-School last week. I just want my feet to survive getting her from crate to outdoors!

post-47958-0-94500100-1354073744_thumb.jpg

Lol welcome to the world of high energy hard wired terriers!

Can you offer the pup something else like a squeaky fluffy rat toy to direct her hyper behaviour to? and praise when she tries to kill it instead of your slippers? Make it so much fun & before you know it ratty toy will be the item of favour to trot off with to the yard in the morning...

Edited by Arcane

Can you offer the pup something else like a squeaky fluffy rat toy to direct her hyper behaviour to? and praise when she tries to kill it instead of your slippers? Make it so much fun & before you know it ratty toy will be the item of favour to trot off with to the yard in the morning...

Good idea. I will try tomorrow to lure her outdoors with a toy she isn't sleeping with. She responds well to toys.

Ta.

She's cute!

I would just teach an off command, also useful for if/when she starts jumping on other furniture. If you ask her to get off or lift her off enough times she should get the idea, otherwise just restrict her access from the bed (as you are doing) and hopefully she'll get the picture.

I have to admit that my dog sleeps on my bed. But she doesn't get on any of the other furniture in the house and has to be invited onto the bed at night.

My lab used to also bite my feet, ankles and pants when she was a puppy. She sort of just grew out of it as I don't think I actually did anything effective to stop it :laugh:

As suggested, engaging in another game or behvior might be useful in preventing slipper chewing.

Good idea. I will try tomorrow to lure her outdoors with a toy she isn't sleeping with. She responds well to toys.

Ta.

You should try just standing still like a rock when she does it...my Border Terrier pup did this as a baby, I know how much it hurts! But once I stood still as soon as she tackled me, she pretty much shrugged her shoulders and walked away :D Though she still loves to grab at anything dangly that I'm holding in my hands...we're working hard on "Leave it - Get it" at the moment :laugh: Gotta love those terriers.....

Ta.

You should try just standing still like a rock when she does it...my Border Terrier pup did this as a baby, I know how much it hurts! But once I stood still as soon as she tackled me, she pretty much shrugged her shoulders and walked away :D Though she still loves to grab at anything dangly that I'm holding in my hands...we're working hard on "Leave it - Get it" at the moment :laugh: Gotta love those terriers.....

That didn't work for me, although she usually latched onto my pants, or shoelace. She thought it was a great game of tug!

When Max was a pup, she would chase and bite feet every single time someone walked somewhere. The only way to make her stop was to stop walking and make her sit constantly :banghead:

Sometimes a squirt of the water spray would work, but she loves water and that became a game to get me to squirt her so she could play with it. Eventually I found if I tied a toy on a long string to my clothes, she'd chase that instead! Now, at 14 months, she's mostly grown out of it and will only do it occasionally.

Edited by minimax

I don't see the point of confinement to the toilet for the bed jumping. Why not just keep her out of the bedroom or train by removing & saying no, down, ahh ahh or whatever word to denote no jumping on the bed.

I do this with my small pups until they are around 6 months old to keep them from injury however they have to be watched because if I leave the room they will try, some of them.

Re the feet, its a play thing & will pass. many kittens & pups do this.

When I first got my pup he would bite our feet and ankles too, and we did exactly what you're doing - turned around, crossed our arms and completely ignored him. He stopped it quite quickly since he hates being ignored!

I'm the first to say I'm kind of a lazy trainer with my own dogs and let them on the bed and couches. They do know "off" and will get off but will often then just jump back on again :o

For that reason I can't say this actually works, but I would take a multi-pronged approach to the jumping on the bed -

I would focus on giving her the aversive (firm "no" or "ahah") BEFORE she actually jumps up. No doubt you can see when she's about to jump, or if you watch her closely you'll quickly see it. When she gets in the springing up position then give her the aversive, give her a look that says you expect her to do as she's told, and no other interaction.

Once she relaxes and goes back to being on the floor, calmly tell her good girl and give her a pat.

If she gets past you, as she no doubt will, and actually on the bed, I personally would calmly lift her down and place

her on her own bed without looking at her, making any

noise or interacting. Be super-consistent with this and do it as soon as she lands on the bed, anytime you miss telling her no before she jumps, or if she ignores you.

If you tell her off or give her a command and interact with her once she is on the bed she is likely to want to make a

game of jumping up, interacting with you, getting off, jumping back on, repeat repeat (exactly what mine do!).

Aditionally, and at times unrelated to her jumping on the bed, I would be teaching her to go to her own bed

voluntarily. So when she happens to be already sitting or lying on her bed you say "on your bed/matt/whatever" give her praise and treats. If you are going to give her a something yummy to chew or a special toy, get her on her

bed, say "on your bed" then tell her good girl and give her the item. Once the words you're using click in her head you

will be able to say from further away "on your bed" and she will go over to it, expecting something good to happen :) You can then use this when she's in your room to stop her jumping on the bed.

As she gets older she will get used to that being 'her place' and will either take herself there voluntarily, or go there on

command without the reward.

Good luck, your puppy is just gorgeous!

Edited by Simply Grand

vicks vapour rub on bare feet and shoes will definately deter

Action and reaction ie dog jumps on bed, or dog bites feet with excitement, you lock away dog has no idea why.

With the early morning excitement I just get down to pups level and hold her and scratch her ears which she loves and within a matter of seconds she has calmed down and then I say out now and she heads straight for exit to yard, after doing this for a couple weeks now she just wakes and goes straight out as soon as she sees me up. Jumping up can be corrected with a quick turn your back on dog and no eye contact means dog is not rewarded, also say firm "DOWN".

As for bed again make this a no go area put baby gate at door or close door to room, if dog does go in room then if attempts to ge tup again firm voice "down" and immediately move dog out of room, they are fast learners so dog will get message quickly.

I can back up Persephone with the NILIF program. I did this with Turtle - much needed with a giant breed alpha male pup! It's really really hard to ignore the extinction phase - I had turtle climb onto a chair behind me as I was "ignoring him" and screech at the back of my neck (I could feel his breath). Yikes, that brings back memories. But it WORKS! I'm doing it with Omar now and it's going fairly well, but he's only 12 weeks, so baby steps.

Good luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Zuzu, welcome to DOL and congrats on getting one of the best breeds available (yes, I'm a little biased, I have two)

Kate stopped biting fingers at about 4/5 months. Unfortunately, toes and socks (on feet) she was still going strong at 9 months. Okay, I should not have been laughing - it only encourages them.

I fixed it by bringing her dad home. She was too busy bugging him to remember my toes and socks! :D

By the way, what's her name, and where did you get her from? (yes, I'm a stickybeak!)

ChristineX

Hi Zuzu, welcome to DOL and congrats on getting one of the best breeds available (yes, I'm a little biased, I have two)

Kate stopped biting fingers at about 4/5 months. Unfortunately, toes and socks (on feet) she was still going strong at 9 months. Okay, I should not have been laughing - it only encourages them.

I fixed it by bringing her dad home. She was too busy bugging him to remember my toes and socks! :D

By the way, what's her name, and where did you get her from? (yes, I'm a stickybeak!)

ChristineX

Hi Christine

I got the Irish Terrier from Pam Gerrey of Tawnyoak. PJ is a lovely dog, but I am still dealing with morning feet biting. This is probably my own fault for not being a morning person! I need the dog to bring me a coffee before I can interact with her. LOL. Alas she has also ruined my sheepskin slippers. *sigh*

Pam's profile is http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/member.asp?name=TAWNYOAK

Susan