Pet Friendly Rentals/share Houses

peytonsmumma

Hey all,

I am currently in Adelaide but hoping to relocate to Melbourne and get a beautiful Rottweiler puppy.

Does anyone know of any pet friendly rentals that will accommodate for 2 females and a puppy ? I don't mind sharing with other people. Preferably CBD/South-East.

Thank you

:)

I hope you find a suitable place.

Sorry I can't help.

We do have a pet friendly rental, lovely 3 bedroomed home I had built around 8 years ago prior to meeting my now husband and lived there by myself for the first 3 years, but it is currently tenanted and in Hastings, sorry.

We have been very lucky with our current tenant, she has been there for several years now.

I do know that if/when she does decide to vacate, I will mention it here before my agent lists the house. I know how difficult it can be to find pet friendly housing at times.

Best of luck :)

Edited by dyzney

I'd recommend being very careful before taking on the huge commitment of a pet. My rescue group gets quite a few surrenders due to people not being able to find rental accommodation - both in Sydney and Melbourne. It's very tough out there and some areas are much harder than others so it's good that you are doing some research, maybe there are some parts of Melbourne that aren't so difficult.

Also, if you are taking on a puppy you might need to factor in the destruction factor, in my experience young foster dogs have destroyed all the plants in my garden and things in my house. It might not only be furniture and your personal possessions, some dogs like to chew door frames and things.

It's too cold to keep a dog outside at night in VIC so please ensure you will be able to have your dog inside, at least at night.

There are a lot of pet friendly rentals in the Banyule and Darebin council districts, but I think they are a bit further away than what you're looking for. The train at the end of my street gets me into the CBD in less than 30 minutes with no traffic delays, however, so if public transport is an option you can take it might be worth a look :)

It's too cold to keep a dog outside at night in VIC so please ensure you will be able to have your dog inside, at least at night.

no it's not if you have a good kennel and, if needed, a good dog coat. You might not sell to anyone who has their dog out at night but that's a different story all together.

Edited by Rebanne

I've found it's a lot easier if you've got someone who'll vouch for the dog. Makes it hard that you're planning on getting a puppy so don't know the dog yet.

I'm about to move into a house that was 'no pets' but after talking at length to the agent about the type of dog I have, and getting a verbal reference from the current agent confirming there has been no property damage or noise complaints she changed her mind and allowed us to have our dog there.

From what I have been told you apply for any house you like except for the ones that state No Pets, on the off chance they will allow you to have a pet. BUT you must tell them your intentions on getting a dog upfront.

My daughter and her partner have a large dog and two inside cats and have been renting in Melb for several years now.

I have to say, when we were looking for a house I already had a puppy and I didn't only look at pet friendly places, but I did call places I liked and asked if they would consider pets - some of them did say they would even if they didn't advertise it, but I had the advantage of a small dog, not a large breed. However I did exaggerate my dogs age - she was 7 months old at the time and I said she was over 1 year old, just so they didn't automatically think "destructive puppy" (which she never was anyway, apart from digging holes in the yard :laugh: )

So don't limit yourself to ones advertised as pet friendly, but be prepared for disappointments. And be upfront, but not TOO upfront. Ie: saying you have a rotti pup will automatically turn people off purely because of breed prejudice, so maybe don't advertise the breed of your dog, or the exact age, that sort of thing.

But good luck :thumbsup:

I also think it would definitely be worth a shot asking whether they would consider pets, even if it is not advertised as pet friendly. I would die before advertising any property I own as pet friendly because of the whackos that tend to show up with 5 large breeds who have got them evicted from their last ten rentals due to destruction or noise complaints lol

If somebody approached the agent and they forwarded the request I would probably consider it, depending on the dog and the circumstances they planned to keep it in. A portable escape proof kennel, crate or something similar would always score brownie points with me because I don't have to alter the property but the dog can be confined if necessary without being able to wreak havoc on the outdoor areas or even worse, the house :p

If somebody said they were planning to get a Rottie puppy they would have to show some serious references and well thought out plans on how to deal with that. Even then I would not be keen, at least with an adult I can meet the dog and get vet/previous agent references...

Edited by BlackJaq