Looking For A Labrador

superminty

I know there are at least two lab breeders connected to Glenside Vet on Greenhill road, Glenside. Element-al is one (listed on DOL).

So you could phone and ask them. Vets also sometimes know about dogs that need rehoming. Eg when owners need to move into nursing homes.

The SA gun dog club may have some ideas too, their website is a little bit more up to date and they have a good contact list under "committee" - note they're not all labrador owners but they are active in dog club competition and they may be able to find people who can help.

http://www.gundogclubofsa.org.au/index.htm

Or there is a labrador retreiver club but their website is a bit of a cobweb (out of date) - so you might get more immediate help via the Glenside vet. Ask for or leave a message for Lesley or Gladys.

Wow you found lots of options? Im in SA and was lookingfor a lab or lab x about 2 years or thereabouts. Absolutely zilch that could be found in SA (since it had to meet our dog). Lab rescue - filled out their form and stillhavent heard back nerly 2 years later. Tried contacting the lab breed society was told basically 'dont know of any so just check the newspaper for ads' at the time.

We did eventually find an apparent nearly 2yo lab via pet rescue a few months back (he still acts as if he is younger) but it wasnt an easy task finding an older lab or lab x in Adelaide.

There was like a million sites for lab rescues - ok, a slight exaggeration, but there were a lot. As I am not restricted to looking in SA only, that's probably why more results came up. Also no resident dog to need to get along with, which also makes the search easier. Plus I like personal recommendations, so I know the organisation is going to be ok to deal with.

Thanks everyone, I am passing these recommendations on to my friend, we are both grateful for all your help. DOL brains trust always wins out.

That makes more sense as there does seems to be plenty OUTSIDE SA just so few here in SA. We were looking for a specific type male, right age, submissive in nature, etc and preferred black but ended up with a yellow one.

Just be aware they are a bit thick sometimes as young dogs - we've heard they grow a brain at around 3 or 4 years (our young one every now and again shows glimpses of being smart then he's as thick as a brick again with the ateention span of a gnat!)

Just be aware they are a bit thick sometimes as young dogs - we've heard they grow a brain at around 3 or 4 years (our young one every now and again shows glimpses of being smart then he's as thick as a brick again with the ateention span of a gnat!)

Ha! Three-four years I wish!

Perhaps you could call Amanda at LabraDOG rescue - I don't know if she sends dogs interstate often but she might have some ideas for you.

Have you considered a Golden Retriever, if they are available? Longer fur but many similarities in nature.

Perhaps you could call Amanda at LabraDOG rescue - I don't know if she sends dogs interstate often but she might have some ideas for you.

Have you considered a Golden Retriever, if they are available? Longer fur but many similarities in nature.

He's pretty set on a Lab. I'll pass on the LabraDOG details, thanks.

My Labrador is far from thick... but she is a naughty bugger... I can see how the 2 could be muddled though. The only thing she learned at group training with 100% accuracy was that bumbags have food in them... *sigh*

She taught herself this particular trick...

EOS2009_07_27_Bindi004.jpg

T.

My Labrador is far from thick... but she is a naughty bugger... I can see how the 2 could be muddled though. The only thing she learned at group training with 100% accuracy was that bumbags have food in them... *sigh*

She taught herself this particular trick...

EOS2009_07_27_Bindi004.jpg

T.

there's a lot of smarts in her eyes and she's gorgeous..

I find all labs are as smart as einstein - when there's food to be had and they know they can work for it. After that the trouble is finding the off switch.

No problem with an off switch here :shrug: I'd say a lot of lab owners are the same, even those with working lines. Comes down to training and boundaries.

I find all labs are as smart as einstein - when there's food to be had and they know they can work for it. After that the trouble is finding the off switch.

No problem with an off switch here :shrug: I'd say a lot of lab owners are the same, even those with working lines. Comes down to training and boundaries.

Yet it took this one a week (THATS WEEK) to work out how to use a treat toy. You just have to knock it for it to spit out food (as the older one demostrated the second she went near it). He saw food next to it and pushed it out of the way ate the food and lost interest until with some special lessons and encouragement he slowly worked out how to make food appear. A week!

Training and boundaries yes but still takes a while to get through in there.

Yet it took this one a week (THATS WEEK) to work out how to use a treat toy. You just have to knock it for it to spit out food (as the older one demostrated the second she went near it). He saw food next to it and pushed it out of the way ate the food and lost interest until with some special lessons and encouragement he slowly worked out how to make food appear. A week!

Training and boundaries yes but still takes a while to get through in there.

I think we're talking about two different things here confused.giflaugh.gif Or are you referring to MRB's post about einstein labs and food?

I would think Petrescue could be a good place to look.

http://www.petrescue.com.au/

http://www.petrescue...ue_directory/SA

Until such time as Pet Rescue allows you to search by breed, I'd say it's a very frustrating place to start. I simply don't get that policy at all. :(

Thanks for the tip Haredown Whippetst. I think Petrescue do a great job in the service they provide despite the form of search engine. I don't mind spending some time browsing that site and if I was looking for a specific breed, I would not find it frustrating to spend a few minutes more browsing such a site if it would help connect a Lab to a new forever owner. I love looking at all the dogs anyway and so wish they could all find a good home.

Edited by LabTested