Important: Dogs Vic Members

rebelsquest

This has been posted on Facebook and OzShow, important info for Dogs Vic members. Please check your bank statements carefully. This should never have happened, hope they are putting in some strict controls around information disposal.

Copied from Denise Bristow

I am bringing to the attention of All VCA Members there has been a breach of Privacy. Information belonging to members was placed in bins out side the VCA office on the 7th Of December. There was 5 days of financial transactions. This was found on the 9th of December at VCA Big Dogs Day Out.

I advise anyone who has had any type of financial involvement with the VCA from the 3rd- 7th December 2012.

Check their bank accounts.

We have met with the CE of Dogs Victoria Marie Deagan. She has since organized 6 security bins for the office and assured us that this will never happen again.

We have had several puppy buyers send in all their documents - ID / credit card details etc etc everything they need for membership - oh and the puppies original registration certificates to transfer them over - ALL documents lost !!!!!!!!!!! No answers, no appology, no reprint of reg certificates (unless they are paid for) etc etc

And 2 of them I dropped into the office myself - one was posted.

No longer recommending puppy people join - sorry but it makes me look bad when the organization can't even look after their private details and with the documents they are now demanding its not good enough.

So do I have this right... from here on they will dispose of all documents in secure bins?

So our credit card details will still be in the rubbish to be tampered with down the line further, just not on the grounds next time.

Why can't they shred such documents? I don't think I will feel comfortable sending them my credit card details anymore. I just assumed the documents would be shredded or filed and kept.

More fool me.

Why cant they shred them - why use security bins?

This is a pretty big issue as when people were worried about what might go wrong with their ID documents everyone was assured security measures were top notch .

Now we are told scanned licences are left in boxes on the floor of the office . This was discovered because of the event that was held onthe day but it begs the question whether the documents have been disposed of this way all along and they simply havent been caught out.

Edited by Steve

hope Animals Australia or similar has not gotten hold of this info - if they have any name and address details, I would be worried about more than the potential for money fraud (which in itself is scary enough) - the potential for snatch and grab raids on breeders dogs is also a worry then

Contents in locked bins are generally shredded by the companies who supply the bins, if they are a reputable business of course.

Yes, but you have to put the paper in the proper locked bin for it to be shredded. Some people think putting it into the recycling bin is OK because it gets recycled.