Calcium Supplement With Magnesium

Stitch

Normally I give Calcium Sandoz/Syrup however I want to try giving a calcium supplement with magnesium for bitches after whelping.

Does anyone know where I can get it or perhaps can recommend a calcium supplement that really works for them?

Why do you feel they need magnesium supplements?

:o not trying to be rude ..it's just that AFAIK there is a fine balance between calcium/potassium/magnesium ... and there can be problems with calcium absorption if mag. levels are high ..and mixing up ratios can do odd things ( heart rhythms etc , in humans anyway ...)

I believe magnesium deficiency is very rare ?

Would hate anything to happen to your girls .... :o

Edited by persephone

I actually asked my repro vet about that and he is open to the addition of magnesium in conjunction with calcium.

I have had a fair amount of experience with Calcium Sandoz with post whelping bitches and whilst it is good I can only add my own (human) experiences with calcium sups and say that the addition of magnesium has really helped me especially in the area of muscle relaxation. I have found my breed has quite a heavy drain on calcium directly after whelping.

I feel that it would be helpful to have one that was already 'mixed' as what I don't want, as you say, is to get the ratio wrong and Calcium Sandoz/Syrup seems to only be, as it says, calcium.

Edited by Stitch

As far as I know Pers magnesium deficiency is actually more common than calcium, and most calcium deficiencies are actually caused by a lack of magnesium leading to inability to absorb calcium.

Magnesium is highly depressed in our food chain as Australian soils tend to be low in it anyway, and it's uptake by plants can be further reduced by the use of super phosphate fertilisers.

My vet recommends regular magnesium supplementing via low dose Epsom Salts added to drinking water. Once the levels come up calcium supplementing is needed far less often as the correct magnesium levels will promote better utilisation of available calcium.

edit to add - could it be worth looking at the dosage for adding Epsom Salts to your Sandoz doses? It would need to be pretty small I think.

Edited by Alyosha

What about dolomite powder - a natural source of calcium & magnesium?

I don't know the correct dose for a bitch post whelping, having only ever used it as a supplement for horses, but maybe your vet or a holistic practitioner could advise you?

:) Thanks for the info .

There are probably one or two magnesium types most suitable for the canine metabolism..

perhaps try the colloid one? The one I have here is a chloride base , so tastes amazingly salty and not pleasant ..but only very small quantities would be needed .

Blackmores put out Mag Min tablets..they are an aspartate ..less likely to cause diarrhoea.

magnesium+ Calcium can be found on DOLOMITE Tablets (humans) .

.my guess is that horse supplements would have a powder :)
just saw your bit , trifecta :o

epsom salts /magnesium sulfate will cause diarrhoea..good for plants, not so good for mammals ;)

Edited by persephone

Powdered supplements are not as readily taken up by the body, I don't know how effective they would be at whelping time, the reason we give sandoz is that it is readily absorbed when it is need most. IMO I think if magnesium is need then looking at giving it in some form as a supplement generally and not just at whelping. I think I would be confirming the need for it first though :)

Dolomite is not readily absorbed by dogs. It can be used for maintenance, but as a one off dose it wouldn't do much.

Epsom salts don't cause diarrhoea if introduced gradually from minute doses, but yes, a whack of it will "go through you like a dose of salts"!! :laugh:

Is this sort of thing what you're looking for? http://www.organicbeautyworld.com.au/shop/dr-gundersons-ionic-liquid-magnesium-50ml-p-1833.html?utm_term=Dr+Gundersons+Ionic+Liquid+Magnesium+50ml&utm_campaign=Vitamins+and+Nutrition&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=myshopping