Why Do Dogs Hate Roxy?

Pawfect

Ha. Even Sid has no time for Boxers :laugh: The ones he has met seem to stand over him and are a bit bouncy.

That said, most dogs either steer clear of him or walk up to him very cautiously and curiously. Lola has no time for rudeness and will tell other dogs off. She has never been 'in your face', but I have been told quite frequently that she is not like most pugs.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol feeling the Boxer love in here :)

I reckon Roxy is fine and you don't need to do anything to get "other dogs to like her". Just be a little more choosy as to who you let play with her. A lot of what people are describing here is exactly why i love a Boxer, and the traits are the core of their personality.

Unless she is aggressively approaching other dogs (whish she obviuolsy isn't by your post), no need to change/do anything.

Shame you're in Vic, cause I bet Bruno would like her :) At the dog park 9 times out of 10 other dogs don't like him because he's bouncy and in their face. When he gets told off he doesn't know what it means so he just keeps trying to initiate play. I don't let him play with unknown dogs anymore after he got a flogging for trying to take a ball from another dog's mouth :o
This is exactly what Zig is like.Other than the ball thing - he loves balls but if another dog has it, he is happy to run with them and never takes it off them.. As long as there is a dog running, he is happy to run with them..ETA - Zig has a boxer mate at the park and they play really well together. They run side by side doing the shoulder slamming. He weighs heaps more than Zig and sometimes even gets a bit rough for him. But they are both mud monsters so if there is water and mud, they are happiest running through it together.

Zig sounds like perfection, and exactly how i hope my little punk turns out :)

Oh he is far from perfect but he has come such a long way from what he was.. He is most definitely in the 'punk' range.. Very much a boof head but he does play well with other dogs that like to play.

If there are older or other dogs that don't like his play, we tend to leave so it doesn't cause issues.. People can be really funny, especially with boofheads.

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back online!!

I'm glad to hear that there's nothing terribly wrong with her to make dogs hate her so much & that she's not the only one to have these problems.

She does need lost of training to get her to focus better & calm down a bit, but unfortunately her owner sees things differently so I don't see any dog training on the horizon. :doh: He is respectful of new dogs & doesn't allow her to get in their faces. He IS less cautious than i'd be though with meet and greet strategies :hitself:

Thanks for the kind offer milacon, but she's not mine & I only see her randomly. Her owner doesn't know i've posted here (he's a first time dog owner, she is his baby, and he doesn't see the problem or know what she's missing out on!). :( I'll casually run the idea past him though, and PM u if he's keen....thanks again :D

My dogs have no problems with brachy dogs at all but both of them don't like over excited but submissive approaches. My girl used to do this when she was young and it was like she had a target printed on her backside... once she learnt to greet more appropriately (ie. stand still) she stopped getting picked on completely.

Edited by wuffles

I had a desexed german shepherd and thought perhaps this was the reason

My dog would want to join in and was simply ignored; or other dogs

would try to dominate him (as if he were a female). My heart would break

as he would try and try and then stand aside and watch a big group of

dogs play).

My dogs have no problems with brachy dogs at all but both of them don't like over excited but submissive approaches. My girl used to do this when she was young and it was like she had a target printed on her backside... once she learnt to greet more appropriately (ie. stand still) she stopped getting picked on completely.

Interesting - i would have thought submissive would help the situation!..... Will try to get owner to work on keeping her still. She does still act like a puppy - doesn't read other dogs well at all & doesn't understand their signals.

I had a desexed german shepherd and thought perhaps this was the reason

My dog would want to join in and was simply ignored; or other dogs

would try to dominate him (as if he were a female). My heart would break

as he would try and try and then stand aside and watch a big group of

dogs play).

Naaawww - that is so sad. Poor munchkin!!

Interesting - i would have thought submissive would help the situation!..... Will try to get owner to work on keeping her still. She does still act like a puppy - doesn't read other dogs well at all & doesn't understand their signals.

In theory I would have thought this too but over the top submissiveness can really get them riled up!

My Rotti Zehra's best friend ever was a boxer we met at the beach once. I think it was because we finally found a dog that was stupider than her!! :laugh:

They had a wonderful time running and splashing with each other, getting distracted, then finding this awesome new friend! Then Zehra took the ball off him, actually walked up and took it right out of his mouth and he just kind of stood there vacantly... then was like "hey! You've got a ball! Let's play, stranger!!" Then they had a wonderful time running... etc

I agree that it's play style/in your face-ness coupled with the naturally confrontational stance of boxers. Find other boxers or rottis and they'll have a blast! :)

It's not just Boxer play style and expression that some dogs don't like. Terriers seem to hate Tarja - perhaps the high tail when she's excited looks like a threat signal or something, but I don't let her greet them most of the time unless it's extremely carefully and avoiding face-to-face confrontation, because she's had a few take exception. It took her a while to learn greeting manners, she can be rather in-your-face and then flings herself down submissively, and thinks that everyone must agree with her that she's totally awesome :laugh: OTOH, she knows all about how to play with Boxers, having been exposed from an early age to my parents' two Boxer boys.

Interesting thread.

Two of my dogs can get negative reactions from other dogs, they don't have to be even looking at them. I think it's due to the the fact that both are extremely high energy and move in a very 'upright' way. Mick in comparison, who I also consider a fairly high energy dog, doesn't seem to attract the same attention but he moves very differently across the ground and has a lower tail set.

It's not just dogs that sometimes see other members of their species (or closely related) as bizarre. One night, years ago, a stray donkey turned up at our place resulting in my old mare totally losing her sh**. The look of the thing and the noise that came out of it, I'm sure she thought hell had come to pass (though she also thought Turkeys were the work of Satan)! It took us ages to get her settled down again. I was at a horse show more recently (Western) and there was an open class being judged and almost all competitors entered. It was pretty interesting watching the reaction of the 'big' horses as they were overtaken by a speedy little mini pinto bobbing along with child rider on board. I think the only horses who didn't freak out at all belonged to the same family. Mind you, my young bitch who has been around horses her whole life went ballistic the first time she saw my Mum's mini pony up close. It was the strangest noise, a cross between a bark and a scream!

Edited by Sheilaheel02

aww... this thread is sad :(

Heston's best friend is a boxer girl around 3 years old, who was a rescue and is absolutley scared of people but loves other dogs. They have played since Heston was really little, perhaps it's not the dogs approach, but the owner?

If the owner is putting off weird vibes sometimes that can cause a stir with the dogs as well? Our trainer always says that if on lead the leads need to be really loose so that the dogs have room etc. So many times I see owners tighten the lead and then see the dog get uptight.

I hope she gets a playdate soon :)

It's not just dogs that sometimes see other members of their species (or closely related) as bizarre.

... or not.

Young relatives on acreage have owned a miniature horse, Milly, for some time. She's always been grumpy with the family's cats & dogs... as if they're unwanted trash on the face of this earth.

But the family recently took in a few horses...& Milly is a changed individual. She's besotted with the horses & now totally ignores the cats & dogs as if they just don't count for anything. The horses equally take no notice of Milly... but she doesn't seem to notice that!

Interesting thread.

Two of my dogs can get negative reactions from other dogs, they don't have to be even looking at them. I think it's due to the the fact that both are extremely high energy and move in a very 'upright' way. Mick in comparison, who I also consider a fairly high energy dog, doesn't seem to attract the same attention but he moves very differently across the ground and has a lower tail set.

It's not just dogs that sometimes see other members of their species (or closely related) as bizarre. One night, years ago, a stray donkey turned up at our place resulting in my old mare totally losing her sh**. The look of the thing and the noise that came out of it, I'm sure she thought hell had come to pass (though she also thought Turkeys were the work of Satan)! It took us ages to get her settled down again. I was at a horse show more recently (Western) and there was an open class being judged and almost all competitors entered. It was pretty interesting watching the reaction of the 'big' horses as they were overtaken by a speedy little mini pinto bobbing along with child rider on board. I think the only horses who didn't freak out at all belonged to the same family. Mind you, my young bitch who has been around horses her whole life went ballistic the first time she saw my Mum's mini pony up close. It was the strangest noise, a cross between a bark and a scream!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

aww... this thread is sad :(

Heston's best friend is a boxer girl around 3 years old, who was a rescue and is absolutley scared of people but loves other dogs. They have played since Heston was really little, perhaps it's not the dogs approach, but the owner?

If the owner is putting off weird vibes sometimes that can cause a stir with the dogs as well? Our trainer always says that if on lead the leads need to be really loose so that the dogs have room etc. So many times I see owners tighten the lead and then see the dog get uptight.

I hope she gets a playdate soon :)

I'm not sure what the leash situation has been like, but no matter who is walking her it's been the same outcome so I don't think it's the owner vibes. Might be a tight leash though, because she'd be in the other dog's face if they didn't hold her back.

Hehe yeah Boxer play styles are indeed 'different'. Scout was always ignored by other dogs as he was to bouncy, too tactile [uses his paws for everything] and too slobbery [only when he's excited]. The only non Boxer friend he had was a Staffy named Boof, who learnt to play 'Boxer Style'. Then along came Tye and seeing Boxers play together was always such a crackup...then Tye passed away and Scout's been on his own for a while now. He tries playing with the goat, but um yeah that doesn't go down to well...goats don't like to play four legs.

My Lab x is extremely friendly, never growled or fought another dog however when he approaches other dogs when excited his body language is very stiff and his tail errect - this is his "I'm about to take off playing chasey" but other dogs see it as concerning body language which is understandable.