Why Do Dogs Hate Roxy?

Pawfect

Roxy is a Boxer x, desexed female, 2yo & doesn't have a mean bone in her body. She loves everyone, & wants nothing more than to have a game with other dogs....but all dogs seem to hate her. Even ones that are totally fine with other dogs! It's really strange, but just the sight of her sets them off! :(

On approach she is excited to see other dogs (bouncy), but is submissive (even to small dogs, she'll roll on her back). She wags her tail madly on approach & can get over-excited, but she is gentle.

Over time the family's dogs have accepted her, but she's just DYING for someone to have a game of chasey with & they won't oblige.

I feel so bad for her - is there some social etiquette she's lacking? Is there anything we can do to make dogs like her more?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The over-excitedness could cause other dogs to get in defensive mode - many dogs don't like the super-bouncy-you-wanna-be-my-friend-stop-ignoring-me type dog that ignores their "I don't want to play" signals. Do you do anything to get her attention instead? Does she have the expectation that she can say hello and play with every dog she meets?

Are you perhaps anticipating that they aren't going to like her and get tense, adding to the issue?

ETA: Any particular breed doing this? Different breeds have different play styles. I never realised that boxers actually box other dogs until Fergs met one at the beach! She loved chasey though so her and Fergs got on like a house on fire. If she likes to run and chase then breeds that prefer to wrestle and play bitey-face might not enjoy playing with her.

Edited by megan_

One of my kelpies is scared of brachy dogs. Most of my dogs hate meeting excited dogs, they're not aggressive just turned off. I know a few dogs that don't like to play with super submissive dogs either. If she does both, maybe she's just too much for most dogs?

I don't have any solutions for you, but I am sure a qualified person would be able to pick up the signs that Roxy is sending out.

In my small pack, I have had a couple of dogs who desperately wanted to play, but were absolutely ignored and if they pushed the point were snapped at. It makes me sad. Sometimes dogs choose another dog to play with and that dog is it and no matter what enticements in terms of wagging, bowing, face licking, etc, another dog offers, they don't get a look in.

I guess it is like some people. Some have "it" others don't.

Hopefully someone will be able to give you some pointers because I do understand how painful it can be to know that your dog's happiness is not complete.

I am only commenting on how my boy first reacted to his first encounters with 2 seperately owned boxers( at different times) he was and has always been put off by their intense looks.

I generally would meet for a walk so they could meet without the forcedness of confinement, focus on the walk not just play, that seemed to work, but he still doesnt like the intense staring, so i wouldnt ever introduce him to one in his own yard.

If only i could tell him that boxers just want to rumble/ tumble around and the staring isnt to

psych him out :-)

Here's a pic post-20608-0-15815300-1357791583_thumb.jpg

She's actually not mine, so i'm not sure how she's been with Boxers specifically (or if she's ever met any). The owner hasn't had her a long time (maybe 6mths?), but so far no dogs have played with her that I know of. I don't think he takes her to dog parks though - just with friend's & family dogs, plus he takes her for 2-3 long walks a day so she meets other dogs on the street.

As i said, she is very bouncy on approach. Her owner doesn't anticipate dogs will hate her (she is the apple of his eye!), but i think he takes her aside to let other dogs pass because of the bounciness. We've fostered & owned bouncy dogs before though, and dogs seem to hate her more than ordinary for some reason...

My two pugs often don't get very welcoming receptions from other dogs, they prefer to play with other pugs most of the time. It would be interesting to see how Roxy goes with other Boxers.

But if she doesn't meet other dogs very often, there might not be a huge oppurtunity to play. Usually othe dogs out walking on leads can't really play, and if one or two friends dogs don't like her, it might not be her, it might just be them!

If she's okay off lead (has good recall etc), maye try her at a dog park and see how she goes?

Sometimes with my two pugs we go to the dog park and they don't play with anyone, some dogs will sniff but no play happens and I feel sorry for my girl coz she loooooooves chasies. But sometimes the other kids just don't wanna play lol

Here's a pic post-20608-0-15815300-1357791583_thumb.jpg

She's actually not mine, so i'm not sure how she's been with Boxers specifically (or if she's ever met any). The owner hasn't had her a long time (maybe 6mths?), but so far no dogs have played with her that I know of. I don't think he takes her to dog parks though - just with friend's & family dogs, plus he takes her for 2-3 long walks a day so she meets other dogs on the street.

As i said, she is very bouncy on approach. Her owner doesn't anticipate dogs will hate her (she is the apple of his eye!), but i think he takes her aside to let other dogs pass because of the bounciness. We've fostered & owned bouncy dogs before though, and dogs seem to hate her more than ordinary for some reason...

Maybe something he is putting out. Dogs rely so much on instinct. Have you been walking with him and Roxy?

I have a bulldog and Ive been told apparently other dogs don't like brachy breeds.

Could it be the "snuffling" LOL?? Sort of serious question.

[out. Dogs rely so much on instinct. Have you been walking with him and Roxy?

I have a bulldog and Ive been told apparently other dogs don't like brachy breeds.

I think it really is the noises. And the fact their eyes are often looking in all sorts of weird directions :laugh:

[out. Dogs rely so much on instinct. Have you been walking with him and Roxy?

I think it really is the noises. And the fact their eyes are often looking in all sorts of weird directions :laugh:

LOL, glad I'm not as silly as I sounded :o

Yes, I've heard the same about other dogs not responding well to brachy breeds. Maybe size & bounciness, on top of that, might put other dogs off. It'd be great to try her with other boxers.

BTW she's a lovely girl.

Edited by mita

Well Jake has it all going on, eyes diverge 90 degrees, snorts like a pig, teeth stick out plus with his stance he's kind of head down ready to go looking. Oh and he's reactive, he was a rescue so can't be sure what's hapoened but he has scars so has been in a bad fight, may or not have been the instigator. Maybe with the face folds other dogs can't read them and the wider shoulders might make them appear to be about to launch? Still I do love my flat faces.

Well Jake has it all going on, eyes diverge 90 degrees, snorts like a pig, teeth stick out plus with his stance he's kind of head down ready to go looking. Oh and he's reactive, he was a rescue so can't be sure what's hapoened but he has scars so has been in a bad fight, may or not have been the instigator. Maybe with the face folds other dogs can't read them and the wider shoulders might make them appear to be about to launch? Still I do love my flat faces.

He sounds like a cracker!! Just the kind of bulldog Animal Rights love to hate. :rofl:

But he looks like a happy chap.

Perhaps he was used as a bait dog? Although they usually like cheaper things than bulldogs (stolen staffies)but you never know.