Puppy Eats Her Own Poo

nakota

Hi All,

I am new to this forum so will be great to hear of any suggestions.

I have had a message come through from a new owner of 1 of my pups i bred,the pup now 14weeks old has started eating her own poo.The owner have stated they pick it up as often as they can but obviously they aren't home for every delivery lol............Anyway they asked if i have any idea's to help solve this problem,i haven't personally had this issue before but have heard it is not an uncommon problem so i would assume some of you people out there may have a few suggestions.

My suggestion was to leave the poo and coat it with pepper or something yuk that will deture her from wanting to eat it but i would still love to hear of any other ideas.

Cheers Wendy

I had the same problem with my mini schnauzer puppy who is now 10m months old. He also ate his own poo and I tried the pineapple and also meat tenderiser and these didn't help. I was also diligent with the picking up and there were times he would even bring it into the house to enjoy. I'm very happy to say that he did grow out of the disgusting habit, so maybe the pup in question will also.

I tried everything with Stella to deter her from this revolting habit. Pineapple fresh & tinned, tomato paste, Wild Forage & there were other things as well, nothing worked for us except the very quick pick up & maturity. She hasnt done it for 3 months now & has just turned 2 :)

I think puppy's curious & playful mind doesn't understand poo is not for playing or eating :vomit:

Most of the time they will grow out of it (hopefully it's true)

My Snowy loves to play with it using his paw to roll it around right after he poos.. eek1.gif I changed my method of picking up after him and also continues giving him treat (with good boy command) to distract him to another place after poo before I pick up his tool..

Till to date, I got a feeling he will make sure someone is around when he poo so he could get treat afterward! laugh.giflaugh.gif I think he sometimes does it twice in a row for the sake of the treat...

Hmmmm don't know but he does go twice within 20 minutes timeframe since young and now he is turning a year old this Feb. biggrin.gif

I sure hope Snowy has grow out of it pray.gif or maybe the treat actually work to distract him .. shrug.gif