Snakes About In Force In Yass, Canberra And Surrounds

Hi all,

Just a timely reminder that with the bushfires around displacing them and the heat etc, the snake numbers are rife and on the move at the moment.

It is with great sadness that I report that two of our former fosters have died due to snake bites in the last couple of weeks. I found out about both of them today.

One was a lovely shep x adolescent we rehomed from QBN pound last year - he was rehomed to a lovely family at Yass - great home - great future - unfortunately it was the fifth brown snake on the property recently and his luck didn't hold up this time.

Another was a lovely small crossbreed from the Riverina area from memory we rehomed to one of the vets in Canberra (suburbia) a few years ago - also a fantastic home - he came home to find both of them had been bitten (he had another dog) and despite rapid treatment, he lost both of them also.

We have also encountered quite a few now at one of my carers properties in Gundaroo also.

Just a heads up to be vigilent for any signs of snakes, and block/remove any potential hiding places or food sources (uncovered food for rodents etc which was a problem last year big time) around the home as best you can.

Andrea.

Edited by Just Andrea

My sister has a grazing property out of Gloucester and had lots in the past year, and in desperation installed snake repellers in her house garden area about 2 months ago.

She had lost cattle to brown snakes in the past, and was worried about her newly acquired dog when it was out into the garden area..

Although some may scoff, she has not seen another snake since then.

Either these work or it is a co-incidence.!!!

I too hate them.

Apparently there is a rescue group for injured snakes up north.I dont know how genuine it is though.:eek:

Edited by honeybun

Guest muttrus

I do know there are a number of snake repellents on the market ones that look like solar stake lights .

While its sad no questions these snakes too are wild animals and for the most part many of us wouldn"t encounter one even though they are there.

The bush fires aren"t helping but they are trying to survive .

When I was growing up we had red bellied black snakes come into our yard all the time for the aviary birds and the mice mum would chop their heads off with a shovel .

One time a few years ago I was walking our son to school up the alley way a black snake was sunnying on the path we waited and it soon took off .

We own pet snakes not dangerous of course .

Dogs also can sometimes be fearless and approach snakes in most cases its the snake defending itself like it or not its a natural world we live in and not all creatures get along but many are on this earth for a reason .

CAUTION is in order here don"t forget to check your boots!

And be mindful that ponds - even temporary ones like clamshells left out for dogs - are a great attraction.

Yep, probably a good time to rerun this URL, prevention tips are halfway down:

http://www.snakehandler.com.au/?p=snakes-and-domestic-pets

Unfortunately while I'd love to leave clam shells out for the dogs, all the dogs' water is in hanging buckets and the rest of the place is dry as dust within the dog accessible boundaries. There is water in all the stock troughs outside the house paddock, so the wildlife (including snakes) can stay out there!

Really? I didn't even think of that. I just filled up a clam shell for my guys yesterday to try and keep them cool, especially since the hot weather is supposed to be continuing.........

May have to rethink that now....

And be mindful that ponds - even temporary ones like clamshells left out for dogs - are a great attraction.

So sorry to read about the doggies, Andrea :cry:

Ollie was rehomed to a family in Bungendore, their resident ACD has been bitten by a snake before so now they're very cautious about walks etc. I still get very anxious about him though although at least the family are experienced and know the signs and know where to get immediate medical treatment etc.

We have a clam shell but put it away because the doggies kept munching on it rather than playing in it

Are places like Uriarra Crossing also a bit dangerous? I was thinking of taking the dogs there given the heat

Hi Andrea,

I'm really sorry to hear you have lost two former fosters to snakebite. It must be heartbreaking. :cry:

I've Just had a brown near the back laundry door. Fortunately, the dogs were inside while I did the obligatory 'yard check', but my cat was out with me. Could only just see it as it was the exact same colour as the dry grass, but lying right out in the open. In this instance, I decided the best plan of action was to contain the cat, who probably would attack it, and watch where the snake went. With a bit of encouragement it eventually went out into the paddock, but I will be on high alert all WE and probably jumping at sticks!

Incidentally, there are about 16 solar snake repellers in the house yard and it had to go between two of them to get out into the paddock.

Shaz

One of my ex foster dogs was bitten by a brown snake yesterday. Despite a mercy dash to the vets it was too late . This was in the Wagga area .Zita was only small around 4 kg and only 18 months old .

Have heard of quite a few dogs being bitten by snakes lately One person lost 3 of her dogs to snake bite around 2 weeks apart.

I am on rural property and totally paranoid about the dogs getting bitten. My Jack cross of 13 years was bitten by a snake back in August.2002 She responded to treatment luckily.

Edited by cryptic

Sorry I haven't been to Uriarra crossing. Wouldn't know but anywhere in the bush on a hot day lately would be risky at the moment.

Yes it is an awful waste of young life and happening alot lately too.

I don't hate snakes though - they are a necessary part of our ecosystem and have a right to live too. I just prefer my furry friends (who also often can't help themselves to chase and antagonise too) and snakes to avoid meeting each other as much as possible.

My clam shell is away now! In fact all it has been doing is attracting a large family of minor birds..........not a species I wish to encourage.

If I took away the clamshell in the yard the dogs might be disappointed but I'd have a full on Magpie mutiny! There is a family of 4 or 5 that basically live on or near my place. They have a pool party in it every hot afternoon. They can be super-noisy with their chortling, poo on my outdoor furniture and steal stuff off the verandah, BUT a few times they have alerted me to exactly where a snake was and were swooping it. So they can keep 'their' pool. I have never seen a snake anywhere near that clamshell though, maybe the maggies protect it :confused:

S