Why Don't Parents Teach Their Kids How To Treat Dogs?

ann21

Sorry just wanting to vent. I went to the grass patch downstairs of my apartment just now. There was another 5 month puppy there so I thought I would let my dog interact with her for abit (I don't think the owners give he puppy much doggy socialization). There were kids around who really like my dog. I'm usually abit wary because they (the kids) can be too excitable and rough and they scream a lot.. Well this time there were balls around and one of them (~8 yrs old I am guessing) actually took aim at the 5 month old pup and hit her with it!! I was so shocked I immediately said "don't do that!" The puppy was with a maid and a child and they weren't leaving so I stuck around to keep an eye on the pup and handed my dog to my dad for abit. On hindsight I should have just left. I will be avoiding going downstairs during dinner time from now on because that's when the kids are usually there. I know not all kids are like this but just seeing one mistreating a puppy today left me quite shocked. Another boy asked me why he couldn't hit the puppy (??) and I said because she's small and it would hurt her. I wish parents would better teach their children how to teach dogs (and puppies) with respect :(

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most adults don't know how to treat dogs either, which is probably why they fail to teach their kids.

One of my dogs is wary of strangers, he doesn't like anyone who normally comes to the house, and with good reason. A lot of them try to grab him to force-cuddle him, and when he shies away from them they comment on what a skittish dog he is. Others ignore all calming signals and do stuff he obviously doesn't like. It's gotten to the point where he completely avoids all of our regular visitors.

But then I had my family over from Europe. As we all know, Europe is more dog friendly than Australia, and as a result, people learn how to behave around dogs. Suddenly, my dog was no only going up to people for cuddles and playing with them, he sat on their laps! He has never sat on anyone's lap except mine, ever.

Aussies in general are clueless about dogs, or they think any animal should just accept anything a human wants to dish out with a smile on their face.

Most adults don't know how to treat dogs either, which is probably why they fail to teach their kids.

One of my dogs is wary of strangers, he doesn't like anyone who normally comes to the house, and with good reason. A lot of them try to grab him to force-cuddle him, and when he shies away from them they comment on what a skittish dog he is. Others ignore all calming signals and do stuff he obviously doesn't like. It's gotten to the point where he completely avoids all of our regular visitors.

But then I had my family over from Europe. As we all know, Europe is more dog friendly than Australia, and as a result, people learn how to behave around dogs. Suddenly, my dog was no only going up to people for cuddles and playing with them, he sat on their laps! He has never sat on anyone's lap except mine, ever.

Aussies in general are clueless about dogs, or they think any animal should just accept anything a human wants to dish out with a smile on their face.

I'm actually in a South East Asian country fuzzy82 (moved back here a couple of months ago) and its even less dog friendly than Australia. Still I would have thought it would be common sense (even with kids) not to hit a small puppy with a ball. I was wrong evidently.

Not that I approve of what the child did but we have to remeber that in many places dogs are not seen as the precious pets we view them as.

In some places they are nothing more than pests..

When we visited Vanuatu I was shocked at the way dogs were treated, I believe it is much the same in Bali and many other countries.

Not that I approve of what the child did but we have to remeber that in many places dogs are not seen as the precious pets we view them as.

In some places they are nothing more than pests..

When we visited Vanuatu I was shocked at the way dogs were treated, I believe it is much the same in Bali and many other countries.

I get what you are saying Staffyluv. It was still a shock seeing it first hand though. I live in a pretty good neighborhood and I think most people here in Singapore wouldn't consider dogs as pests (especially a purebred toy poodle, which is what the pup was). It was more a combination of ignorance + bullying on the part of the child IMO. But anyway yes I agree not everyone feels the same way about dogs and I still need to adjust to that.

The kid asked why he couldn't hit the puppy?! :mad

Maybe you should've thrown the ball in his face and asked if he liked it.

Interesting response to a child's question ... :(

Kids ask to learn .. and if they know nothing about how dogs operate , then asking and getting honest answers will help a lot!

Guest donatella

Ann its disgusting, it usually generates with parents who have little care or respect for animals themselves.

My 13 year old cousin dropped my 6 month old Pomeranian puppy from standing height on Christmas day (in front of my eyes!). The whole family have never owned a dog, a bird or even a fish, they are not dog savvy. In hindsight I have no idea why I even let her hold her but I thought 13 was old enough to be responsible.

However the 13 year old denied this and said the puppy jumped (later on further questioning she said she didn't remember exactly what happened) and the whole family wiped their hands of the situation and noone has said sorry, not even the parents, my aunt and uncle. They didn't offer any consolation or compensation and they don't feel animals are worth the money we spend on them. My mum said that my uncle would have just said to put her down!!!!!!

$7000 of surgery later and she is okay but I have learnt a very big lesson!!

Not a very good role model for your child in teaching them respect for animals, she wasn't even made to apologise.

Edited by donatella

Guest donatella

:coffeesplurk:

Interesting response to a child's question ... :(

Kids ask to learn .. and if they know nothing about how dogs operate , then asking and getting honest answers will help a lot!

Completely agree. And agree with the sad face. Unfortunately not the first time I've read on here comments that are advocating violence towards kids. It's pretty sad!!

Guest donatella

S**t donatella that's awful!! What was the surgery for?

She broke both her front legs and because her bones were so small she needed them surgically pinned and plated. A cast wouldn't be enough for the bones to heal.

donatella, wow, hope all's ok and she gets well soon.

My boxer pup at 6 months scares :) most kids from trying to man handle him. (just his look, he's a little wimp underneath and wouldn't hurt a fly), but even so, I don't trust any kids (except my own) with him and make sure I'm always supervising.

Have also instilled in my kids from a very young age, like 2yo at a petting zoo, that every animal needs to be handled gently, and they have learnt and are absolutely carefull with the dog and every other animal they come in contact with.

Edited by BoxerB

This. 99% of people will approach my dog with their hand raised towards her forehead and if given half a chance, will do that stupid *pat pat* on top of her head which she absolutely does not appreciate. She will dodge and weave and once this happens she will usually not want a bar of that person. She will tolerate them petting her if I make her but I don't usually do that since she has a right to not be groped by every Dick and Tom...

Many people will stick out their flippers to pat her on top of her head as they walk past even... I am lucky she is such a confident dog, it's not surprising some dogs will start to snap at people when on leash.

I am also having huge issues with children appearing out of nowhere and getting into her space. She is tall and not keen on kids so if she were to nip it would probably hit a bad spot. Only about 2 children that I remember have ever asked if they can pat her and since they were over 8 (which I find is the minimum age she will tolerate) I told them how to approach her and let them and there was no issue. The ones that "corner" her once she will not go near, even for food treats and she has a long memory, she can spot them from the other side of the road even months later lol

It seems nobody knows that it is only polite to let a dog sniff your hand before trying to grope it. I wonder how they would react if I patted them on top of their head without any kind of greeting or warning, especially if they do not see me coming....

My 13 year old cousin dropped my 6 month old Pomeranian puppy from standing height on Christmas day (in front of my eyes!). The whole family have never owned a dog, a bird or even a fish, they are not dog savvy. In hindsight I have no idea why I even let her hold her but I thought 13 was old enough to be responsible.

Donatella ... I hope she heals quickly , poor little mite :(

Guest donatella

Thanks guys! Sorry didn't want to hijack this thread, just wanted to share my experience. She's doing well and is running around again like normal :D

S**t donatella that's awful!! What was the surgery for?

She broke both her front legs and because her bones were so small she needed them surgically pinned and plated. A cast wouldn't be enough for the bones to heal.

That's horrible Donatella. Glad she is better now!

Edited by ann21