Puppy Not Wanting To Potty Outside In The Rain

dogsforjane

My puppy is now 10weeks old and we are working extremely hard toward toilet training (taking her outside after meal, after sleeping, after playing etc etc.).

She has been doing okay, though for the past two days it has been raining a lot and she is refusing to go toilet in the rainfrown.gif

Usually we would take her outside in our front yard and she will potty fine but now it's raining she would step on the wet grass then immediately run back to the front door where it's shaded.

She would either 1) pee on the doormat or 2) hold on until the moment we go back inside and pee in my room icon_smile_mad.gif.

Is anyone else's dogs or pups rain sensitive? and how should we overcome this problem?

Two of my dogs hate peeing in the rain, it's normal. If we have a lot of wet weather I just put an old towel down on the outside doorstep for them to pee on and throw it out after. Mine are adults though, it might set up a pattern for a pup.

My puppies are duel trained - both outside and inside on pee pads. They prefer outside, even in the rain, but last night when it was torrential I put a pee pad down and they were much happier to use that.

It Does take longer to train puppies to use nothing though.

My puppies are duel trained - both outside and inside on pee pads.

How did you dual train them on both outside and inside on pee pads Minimax? I also wanted to do this and initially bought the pee pads and laid them down inside her playpen though my girl thought the pee pads are rather great to chew and destroyrofl1.gif

My puppies are duel trained - both outside and inside on pee pads.

How did you dual train them on both outside and inside on pee pads Minimax? I also wanted to do this and initially bought the pee pads and laid them down inside her playpen though my girl thought the pee pads are rather great to chew and destroyrofl1.gif

Trained them to pee on command, so they learnt to pee anywhere :)

I trained mine using a lead and a massive golf umbrella a good book and a plastic chair......

aka I sat outside with them on lead under the umbrella (reading my book ignoring the antics) until they went then released them so they could run straight inside. With Safire I think I waited 45minutes the first time I did this- and it got quicker within 48hrs! Now when she is told to go she heads straight out the door and goes as quickly as possible so she can some back in!!

Mind you the record has been 16hrs of holding on to a wee to avoid the rain! Another way is to go for a short walk- I find most puppies cant hold in while they are going for a walk.

Edited by Jumabaar

With our newest pup, I always have him on lead, i just encourage him to come along with me and I stand out in the rain until he goes. Before he got big I would just pick him up and carry him to the end of the yard, and stand out there with him.

Is it possible to rig up a little shelter? I just use a large plastic sheet and tie between the patio post and a garden chair to create a little sheltered area for mine to toilet - otherwise he will never go and I have to constantly watch him in case he decides inside is good enough. And... he is 3 years old - they never grow out of not wanting to get feet wet :laugh:

Is it possible to rig up a little shelter? I just use a large plastic sheet and tie between the patio post and a garden chair to create a little sheltered area for mine to toilet - otherwise he will never go and I have to constantly watch him in case he decides inside is good enough. And... he is 3 years old - they never grow out of not wanting to get feet wet :laugh:

My greyhound bitch Fern is one such Princess. Fern is now 6 and 1/2 and at the beginning of every winter we have this battle. She nevers pees in the house though, just holds on for hours and hours, which is not good for her. I have my fingers crossed that this year she may finally remember that I always win :laugh:

My Lola girl is 4 years old, going on 5 this year. She doesn't want to get her precious feet wet or cold so she will hold on for as long as possible and I have to command her to go out eventually. Chester my boy on the other hand runs out into the rain as if it isn't there. Stands there in it getting soaked and looking at me like "poor me, look how wet and pathetic I am?"

We have a little puppy here at the moment and we are toilet training him. We had a lot of rain and he too didn't want to go on the wet grass. I took him out on lead and used an umbrella. We both got wet a lot but he soon learned that when he goes we get to get out of the rain and play. We also used the opportunity to practice blow drying. He now LOVES the dryer and can't wait to get under it. His toilet training is going really well now, he will go on command and we don't need the lead so much now.