We Had Our First Agility Training Class Tonight!

I'm so proud of my two dogs. Both Zeus and Kirah were stars in their first class of an introduction to agility course.

The dogs were introduced to the weave poles, table and tunnel. Kirah was terrified of the tunnel at first, but after a little food encouragement and tug games, she bounded through it like a champ!!

Zeus was pretty unfazed by the equipment but I need to work on teaching my brother how to handle him and get Zeus into his high prey drive setting. As Zeus is my dog, I can get the best out of him, but as I'm handling Kirah during the training courses, I'm not allowed to handle two dogs. They'll get there -- my brother just has to learn how to act like an excited moron in order to hype Zeus up! :laugh:

Well done.....a word of warning though...it does become adictive :rofl: Just remember it doesn't happen overnight, so sit back & enjoy the journey... you wont be disapointed. Every dog is different & IMO that's what makes it so much fun. :)

my brother just has to learn how to act like an excited moron in order to hype Zeus up! :laugh:

Boys are not very good at purposely acting like an excited moron. The only time they seem to do it is when it is totally inappropriate!!! But I am sure he will catch on.

Sounds like a good first night.

Cheers,

I really hope he catches on because I have huge hopes and expectations for Zeus as an agility dog. I'd totally train him, however, I'm stuck with my cling-on Kirah who is worse than a shadow. It will depend on how she goes through this training too because I have a feeling she might be more suited to Flyball. This is only an introductory class to agility that runs for 6 weeks -- will re-assess Kirah at the end of it to see if I want to continue her training or not.

She has the potential, she's just far more stubborn and scared of different things unlike Zeus, who nothing fazes.

For those who do trial in agility, do you have your own equipment at home? We've been told to practise, practise, practise, but it's a bit hard to practise tunnel work when you don't have one. I also need to practise circle work and getting Kirah to stay -- I'm having a huge amount of trouble teaching her a reliable stay because every movement I make, she shuffles to be close to me. She also dances on the spot in a sit which I don't want her doing -- it's like watching doggie ballet the way she picks up her front feet.

Oh also, any pointers on how to get Zeus more interested in tug-o-war? He's a beagle x so not so much of a tugger as he is into fetching and seeking. I can get him to tug a little bit, but he's not as ferocious as Kirah (a feral terrier). He's more of a people pleaser dog and will do things because it makes me happy and is highly food motivated.

Zeus is a gorgeous boy to train and smart as a button too -- he'll learn things in about 3 to 5 minutes.

Oh also, any pointers on how to get Zeus more interested in tug-o-war? He's a beagle x so not so much of a tugger as he is into fetching and seeking. I can get him to tug a little bit, but he's not as ferocious as Kirah (a feral terrier). He's more of a people pleaser dog and will do things because it makes me happy and is highly food motivated.

Zeus is a gorgeous boy to train and smart as a button too -- he'll learn things in about 3 to 5 minutes.

Don't get too caught up in teaching at dog to tug - just develop a game that you and your dog love to do to interact together. I use retrieving, body-rubbing and food. My dogs do well enough without having learnt to tug (2 x ag ch's, and more than 60 masters titles.)

You need a method to reward the dog away from you - tossing out a retrieve toy, or visible food works well. You need to reward your dog close to you while keeping the dog in drive - this is where a tug toy works, but equally so does chasing a piece of food in your moving hand, or grabbing the retrieve toy and getting a rub-down while holding it. You also need to be able to reward a dog being stationary - food is usually best for this.

None of my dogs are enthusiastic tuggers, being natural retrievers.

For those who do trial in agility, do you have your own equipment at home? We've been told to practise, practise, practise, but it's a bit hard to practise tunnel work when you don't have one. I also need to practise circle work and getting Kirah to stay -- I'm having a huge amount of trouble teaching her a reliable stay because every movement I make, she shuffles to be close to me. She also dances on the spot in a sit which I don't want her doing -- it's like watching doggie ballet the way she picks up her front feet.

For tunnel work, you could improvise with a large rectangular cardboard box, or buy something cheap, like the blue ones on eBay

Not really a fan of circle work, so can't help you there

And for the stay, just take it slowly. Put her in a sit & feed her while you move around her. Resist the urge to move away until she is really solid and not moving her front feet while you feed her. Once she is solid, take one small step and move back immediately to feed her. One solid on that, 2 steps etc. I was trying to find a YouTube clip which showed teaching a good stay, but couldn't find any I liked.

Edited by Vickie

For tunnel work, you could improvise with a large rectangular cardboard box, or buy something cheap, like the blue ones on eBay

You can pick up good cardboard boxes by going down to a white goods shop and ask for an old refrigerator box or washing machine box. They often have lots of spare packing stuff and are glad to get rid of it.

I was going to say I am not a big fan of circle work, either, but I had already said I was not such an advocate of tugging, so I did not want to go too far! :)

Does anyone else have ideas about improvisations for equipment?

Cheers

Where are you RiverStar-Aura?

I have a tunnel I am no longer using if you would like it ( only a little bit smaller than regulation size, but certainly big enough for practice. I got a regulation sized tunnel recently so no longer use this one).

I am in Sydney's north.

I used to just buy those cheap kids tunnels to train my guys on. Check out toy stores :)

Chutes can be improvised with a sheet over a dining chair.

The house I lived in when Delta was a pup had planks of wood in the yard so I placed them on a few bricks to get her used to walking along narrow planks.

Don't get too caught up in teaching at dog to tug - just develop a game that you and your dog love to do to interact together. I use retrieving, body-rubbing and food. My dogs do well enough without having learnt to tug (2 x ag ch's, and more than 60 masters titles.)

You need a method to reward the dog away from you - tossing out a retrieve toy, or visible food works well. You need to reward your dog close to you while keeping the dog in drive - this is where a tug toy works, but equally so does chasing a piece of food in your moving hand, or grabbing the retrieve toy and getting a rub-down while holding it. You also need to be able to reward a dog being stationary - food is usually best for this.

None of my dogs are enthusiastic tuggers, being natural retrievers.

Thanks for that. There's a particular brand of toy duck that sends Zeus absolutely bonkers for and will fetch for hours -- he'll only quit when *I* get tired of throwing it! Sometimes he'll tug at it but not often. It just seems that this particular agility group really focuses on playing tug, but when I've watched them training, they do mostly appear to throw the toy and have the dog go after it.

I have plenty of games I play with zeus -- it's just a matter of teaching my brother!

And for the stay, just take it slowly. Put her in a sit & feed her while you move around her. Resist the urge to move away until she is really solid and not moving her front feet while you feed her. Once she is solid, take one small step and move back immediately to feed her. One solid on that, 2 steps etc. I was trying to find a YouTube clip which showed teaching a good stay, but couldn't find any I liked.

I'm so glad I asked about tunnels here -- never would've thought to use a box!! I do know from having boxes in the backyard in the past that my idiot terrier Kirah is scared of them. She's so neurotic that I had her and Zeus at the beach on Saturday and she charged up to my beach bag and started barking at it. Where's eye rolly man when you need him?!

I've always seem people practising circle work at the local off leash park and it looked boring IMO. Zeus and Kirah will follow me wherever I go but not staying at my heels though. I'll give it a go and see how it works out.

I think I expect too much of Kirah in regards to the sit stay. This is the first time I've ever had two dogs and I've found training them both separately VERY challenging. Zeus being the older of the two, is *so* used to coming everywhere with me that when I leave him behind he whines and tries to let me know I've forgotten him. I've ended up feeling really bad that I've neglected Kirah's training because she really needs strict one-on-one time and I really hate leaving Zeus behind.

How have you all managed two dogs? Is it just a matter of me sucking it up and taking Kirah out alone in order to get this stay happening?

She's just so frustrating to train because of her stubbornness. I end up getting so frustrated with the poor girl because she keeps shuffling her feet when she sits. As soon as I bring the food closer to her mouth to reward her sitting still, she'll start shuffling on the spot. In her basic training course late last year (it was about getting back to basics so it was ideal for us), I had to kneel on the ground to feed her the treats in order to stop her shuffling. I'm just so used to Zeus understanding what I want in under 5 minutes that I unfairly expect the same of her. It frustrates me that she's so slow at learning and I feel bad because I think maybe it's something I've done -- or not done -- in regards to early training.

I know I haven't bonded with her as closely as I'd hoped I would because even though I love her to death, she's not Zeus, or even Poochie, my first Aussie. I feel that my lack of bonding with her has also effected her development because she's so clingy towards me and is so obviously *my* dog, that I feel bad because I'm not *her* mum -- I'm Zeus's mum first.

I don't know ... She sh*ts me to tears but I love her so much at the same time. It's just a different love to what I feel with Zeus. We just share this connection. I really don't know if I'm even making sense. :(

I have a tunnel I am no longer using if you would like it ( only a little bit smaller than regulation size, but certainly big enough for practice. I got a regulation sized tunnel recently so no longer use this one).

I am in Sydney's north.

I'm in Illawarra south so the north of Sydney is a bit of a hike. Thanks for the offer though!! :D

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

How have you all managed two dogs? Is it just a matter of me sucking it up and taking Kirah out alone in order to get this stay happening?

She's just so frustrating to train because of her stubbornness. I end up getting so frustrated with the poor girl because she keeps shuffling her feet when she sits. As soon as I bring the food closer to her mouth to reward her sitting still, she'll start shuffling on the spot. In her basic training course late last year (it was about getting back to basics so it was ideal for us), I had to kneel on the ground to feed her the treats in order to stop her shuffling. I'm just so used to Zeus understanding what I want in under 5 minutes that I unfairly expect the same of her. It frustrates me that she's so slow at learning and I feel bad because I think maybe it's something I've done -- or not done -- in regards to early training.

I know I haven't bonded with her as closely as I'd hoped I would because even though I love her to death, she's not Zeus, or even Poochie, my first Aussie. I feel that my lack of bonding with her has also effected her development because she's so clingy towards me and is so obviously *my* dog, that I feel bad because I'm not *her* mum -- I'm Zeus's mum first.

I don't know ... She sh*ts me to tears but I love her so much at the same time. It's just a different love to what I feel with Zeus. We just share this connection. I really don't know if I'm even making sense. :(

You don't need to love all your dogs (or children) the same!!! I have my favourites, too!

When I am training, with two dogs, the dog that is not working goes in a crate. When I used to go to clubs, I would work the same exercise by quickly rotating the dogs for each turn. When I took gear out to the local park, I would work one for ten minutes, then swap. Now that I have everything in my "back yard", I have a small pen up at the agility field.

Cheers,

I am in Sydney's north.

I'm in Illawarra south so the north of Sydney is a bit of a hike. Thanks for the offer though!! :D

What club do you train at? I may know someone who goes to that club and could get the tunnel to you that way - when you trial you get to know people from all over :D

I do circle work but I keep it short and fun - I do small circles and change direction often - Kaos likes it.

I would strongly suggest getting into clicker training with Kirah. You use the clicker to mark the exact behaviour ie. sitting still & it doesn't matter that she is shuffling her feet when you give her the reward. If she understands the clicker, then she will know that she was treated for sitting still. Also, don't always return to your dog to treat, you can toss the treat to land between her feet. Get the clicker out & some tasty SMALL treats, do a bit of research & start playing "100 things to do with a box" :) I agree, crate the other dog or put it on a stake out.

Yes. When I am teaching something to one, I put the other 4 away. The dog I am teaching needs & deserves my full attention. Occasionally I expect the other 4 to sit & watch, but only when I am practicing, rather than teaching & only once they have a solid stay.

She's just so frustrating to train because of her stubbornness. I end up getting so frustrated with the poor girl because she keeps shuffling her feet when she sits. As soon as I bring the food closer to her mouth to reward her sitting still, she'll start shuffling on the spot.

As your hand moves towards her with the food, watch her feet. If any feet move, pull your hand back. She will soon learn that the only way the food makes it all the way to her mouth is to keep her feet still. This really works!

You don't need to love all your dogs (or children) the same!!! I have my favourites, too!

When I am training, with two dogs, the dog that is not working goes in a crate. When I used to go to clubs, I would work the same exercise by quickly rotating the dogs for each turn. When I took gear out to the local park, I would work one for ten minutes, then swap. Now that I have everything in my "back yard", I have a small pen up at the agility field.

Cheers,

I've actually been looking into crates. My guys are outside dogs so I've never really had the need for one but because of wanting to do agility, I've looked into it as they seem really handy. As I only have a small car (Hyundai Getz) I'm thinking of a soft crate rather than the wire/cage type ones. Need to research brands and things further.

I guess it's more that I feel bad for 'leaving Zeus out of it' because I know he thrives off my attention too. He's much more keen on training than Kirah and really enjoys it so I find it hard to ignore that zest for learning and focus on Kirah who's much more 'what's in it for me?'.

Clicker training Kirah actually sounds like a fantastic idea -- she might even be responsive to it. Zeus loved the clicker but I had no need for it because he's too smart for his own good!!

For treats I use hotdogs cut up into such tiny pieces otherwise Kirah chews them. She'd chew water if she could!! She's very food motivated but I have a hard time getting her tricks to 'click'. She knows roll over but only if I entice her into the roll with a hand signal low to the ground. I'll see how clicker training her goes.

For the time being in terms of crates, I section off my backyard with a puppy pen (use it as a fence). Would this be a suitable set-up if I work with Kirah whilst Zeus is on the other side or would being able to see me training irritate him?

I guess he can always have his turkey wing to munch on whilst I'm working with Kirah.

I am in Sydney's north.

What club do you train at? I may know someone who goes to that club and could get the tunnel to you that way - when you trial you get to know people from all over :D

I train at the Good Dog Agility Club in Warilla. It's run by Elsina Meyer.

If you are going to be going to Agility Trials, you will definately need a crate & some shade. You can be fined for having your dog just tethered, so I am told...it's apparantly all to do with the safety of the tethered dog being vunurable to any dog that might be on the loose. :( I have someone at my club who tethers her toy poodle to a star picket next to the agility course & it just so p****sses me off as it just NEVER shuts up. Next time she does it I am going to draw the judges attention to it. :o