Litter Size

Waggy

I am expecting a litter in 6 weeks & from the scan it looks like a small litter. Following a discussion with a friend today it was suggested that My bitch is having a small litter because I am line breeding with this litter & not using an outcross which could result in a bigger litter. I must admit all my really big litters have been outcrosses. Interested in what other breeders have noticed.

The only thing I can personally think of is that genetics seem to play a part in litter size (not always of course as there are so many other factors). Certain lines will average 3-4 pups, other lines 5-6, other lines might be 10. So I guess if that is a gene being passed through the lines if the dogs have similar lineage perhaps they are genetically predisposed to smaller litters?

I wouldn't say that it is because you line bred as opposed to outcrossed, I would say it is perhaps more likely that in the past you have outrcrossed to lines that average larger litters?

1/2 brother r sister mating. Litter of 7

Same mother, Sire was the son of 1/2 brother litter of 7.

Repeat mating litter of seven.

Son from the first litter regularly sires litters of 8 (same as his father)

Don' t know could be genetics could be timing.

My experience with a couple of my bitches.........

Bitch bred to total outcross resulting in 11 pups, 9 survivors.

Bitch bred again 1/2 brother x 1/2 sister mating resulting in 13 pups, all survived

Bitch for third and final litter total outcross resulting in 7 pups, all survived.

Another bitch;

Outcross........ 11 pups, 10 survivors

Outcross from frozen semen, 11 pups, 8 survivors

Outcross 8 pups all survivors

Another bitch;

Line breeding 10 pups all surviving ........

I could go on, I really think it depends on your bitch and the dog you use, time of breeding, age and health as well as so many other things.

Breeding has too many variables!

Bitch had 3 litters all outcrosses - resulted in 1st 4 pups, 2nd 5 pups and 3rd 4 pups.

Inbred - 1/2 brother sister mating both progeny of the above bitch - result 11 puppies (a big litter for a beagle) with 9 surviving puppies and 2 stillborn.

Four other litters over the years were all between 4 and 6 puppies most outcrosses with one linebred.

There are 3 main factors in the number of pups:

• The number of eggs the bitch produces
  • The quality of the dogs semen
  • The timing of bringing both together.

What will happen with too many close breedings is that the PUPS PRODUCED may be bred with an issue where they produce less eggs or not such good semen. This can result in smaller litters when these dogs are used ... whether they are used in a line breeding or an outcross.

And jsut as an aside my last litter (line breeding) produced 15 pups (14 survived).

Have always been told the bitch will determine the number of puppies - just depends on the viability of the eggs and semen at the time of mating.

Timed right - dog and bitch in good health - should be the optimum number of puppies.....One bitch might be prone to smaller litters sometimes nature is somewhat unpredictable.

for example one of my girls had

Litter 1 - 4 pups - live mating

Litter 2 - 4 pups - live mating

Litter 3 - 1 pup - AI (but suspect we were not at optimum

Litter 4 - 3 pups - AI and used progesterone levels to seek optimum time.

I suspect that she is just a girl who has small numbers (yet she herself was one of 7) however her daughter has had 2 litters one from live mating one from AI - both with 7 pups

Then there is also a grand-daughter had her first litter AI and produced 9 pups - My experience with this and previous litters has lead me to conclude there is no evidence to show that the bloodlines or line breeding/outcross options will affect the number. The viability of the semen is another thing......

Nowdays, I love having the progesterone levels to help find the optimum time, makes things much easier to organise. days gone by it was just relying on the dog and bitch to show they were ready.

Edited by alpha bet