Eye Testing

dasha

I have 5 pups I need to get eye tested for CEA.

Which vet in the Sydney area is the best for that.

I took the mother to one at Nth Ryde (can't remember the name) and he seemed fine but wondering who others use.

The pups are only 3 weeks old at present so no ush yet but would like to make appt soon for them to go the vet at 6 weeks

I live in Sydneys west but will travel a bit if needed

I have 5 pups I need to get eye tested for CEA.

Which vet in the Sydney area is the best for that.

I took the mother to one at Nth Ryde (can't remember the name) and he seemed fine but wondering who others use.

The pups are only 3 weeks old at present so no ush yet but would like to make appt soon for them to go the vet at 6 weeks

I live in Sydneys west but will travel a bit if needed

What breed? If they are BCs the parents should have been DNA tested to make sure the puppies could not be affected.

Mother is tested.

Father not.

Hence the question.

BTW these pups aren't going to be bred with later so it is just for knowledge really

If the mother is DNA normal/clear the puppies cannot be clinically affected but can be DNA carriers.

Owner of the dog not interested in testing.

And he is currently living at someone elses place further away.

I am still puzzled why you need to get a clinical eye exam for CEA if the dam was DNA normal and if she was a carrier, why you would risk the mating? By all means get them tested for any other odd eye problems that may show up, if you wish but they don't need a CEA clinical exam if the dam was DNA normal.

Sometimes you risk a mating because there is more to a good dog than its eye status.

These are working dogs so working traits are the highest on the list for breeding stock.

So you risk getting blind puppies to get good workers? Not acceptable to me at all. I know blind puppies are rare but the risk is still there.

An extremely unlikely option is a blind pups....

There is more chance of a car accident when driving.....but we still drive

Both parents vision is awesome...... If it wasn't, they wouldn't be so damn good at their job.......

Eye testing shouldn't be the sole basis of a breeding program....... Thats how other problems pop up, and others don't go away......

Mother is tested.

Father not.

Hence the question.

BTW these pups aren't going to be bred with later so it is just for knowledge really

I think it's good you are testing but what happens if any come back as a carrier? Cause if they turn out excellent workers someone is sure to want to breed from them.

And there is nothing wrong with breeding with a carrier or affected if you are selective of the other parent and the other traits are desiredo

No way I would breed with an affected but I would breed with a carrier and DNA test all pups before being sold and desex any that were also carriers unless I could 100% trust the people the pups was going to, to also do the right thing.

And there is nothing wrong with breeding with a carrier or affected if you are selective of the other parent and the other traits are desiredo

No way I would breed with an affected but I would breed with a carrier and DNA test all pups before being sold and desex any that were also carriers unless I could 100% trust the people the pups was going to, to also do the right thing.

There is nothing wrong with breeding carriers even for many generations so long as they are only ever bred to a DNA normal. To breed a carrier to an untested dog is simply irresponsible and the risk isn't that you will produce just more carriers, you will possibly produce affected puppies and there is a small chance that some could be blind or sight impaired. Dasha is having these puppies clinically tested to see if they are actually blind or sight impaired. This will not determine if any are DNA carriers or affected. DNA tests exist so carriers can be safely bred but with no risk of any responsible breeder ever producing an affected puppy again.