Monopods..the What For And Why?

redangel

I recently came across an echidna in my travels...and true to form he burrowed down. I waited ...and waited..and waited some more...finally he popped his head out and I got to see the little face. I was hand held, heavy lens and manual focus...I braced myself up against a tree. I often brace myself against things..except this tree had some hungry ants on it :(

For birds, panning & critters I have been told a monopod is useful.

Anyone have an opinion on this & what to look for?

What experience do you have with monopods...I rarely take the tri out because its set up would cause me to miss shots & lugging it around is a bother.

Although I don't cart it around much now ..a walking stick kind of makes things tricky ... I LOVE my monopod :)

It is old , aluminium , very light , and very handy for stabilising things .

Mind you , these days when I'm out & about ..I use my 2nd best friend (apart from the walking stick)

my FLIPSTICK.. takes some of the weight off ..and enables a bit of stabilisation :)

m_cran132of1-14_zps3158783d.jpg

I took this hand held the other day. I am pretty steady but get tired holding the camera over a day so photos are less as the day goes on. I like bird/wildlife shots & want to learn action shots. My regard for tripods outside of certain applications is that they are a fuss- thats why I was thinking monopod. Do you still use IS with a monopod?

I am thankful for your replies as I dont want to pay $ for something I wont use & collects dust.

edit;typo

Edited by redangel

A monopod supports te weight of the lens where the lens is heavy like a 100-400m canon. this has got to also be better for the camera instead of the heavy lens pullig on the pins.

It also works as a counter balance when walking (weight of camera held in other other) and something to lean on when you have been standing up at an event for hours.

KIts no good for something like horse racing or eventing - smaller hand held lens easier but great for dressage and royal shows (where you may ned the extra reach).

The actual purpose photography wise is to keep the camera steady for when you are at the extreme end of the zoom (so 400m on the abive lens) as the very slight movement of pressing the button can causse camera shake if not held steady.

Yes my lens has its IS on when used with the monopod but again its moving horses and again its to counter camera shake at the extreme zoom. I'd tak a monopod over a full sized tripod anyday.

Edited by rubiton

None of my lenses have IS... I only really use it for the long shoots, as it takes the weight of the lens! And especially if you're photographing something that is at a fairly constant height.

Edit: red angel, I love your blue wren capture! I love those birds!

Edited by Monet n Diva's Mum

• 2 weeks later...

I love them and yes you need a good head the same as using a tripod.

My monopod was stolen at Melbourne Royal a few years ago and I've never replaced it, it's still on the wish list.

I've started to use a fairly light Manfrotto tripod as a monopod, just clip the legs together. And still use a good ball head with it. Does the job, just not as quick to adjust height. I leave the IS on, bird shots are generally full telephoto which can waver a bit.

What MnDM said: the cost is a con, I can't justify buying another pro one.

But definitely think worth paying for a better head than you even think you need, (and one that's interchangeable onto your tripod for times you are using it).

Thanks for all your replies..

Possum Corner..may I ask what ball head you have? I was thinking about a Manfrotto tilt head, someone told me ballheads are harder to manage(Im not sure why) Do you think a tilt head is ok for birds? The panning can be done by the axis of the monopod can it not? The load on the tilt head im looking at is 2.5kg.

I think my head is a Manfrotto 3265 grip action. It was about $250 a few years ago. But I think the model is discontinued. (It's in OH's locker at work this week, he's doing some staff shots). The one that was stolen was a Sherpa Velbon head on the Manfrotto monopod, that was a 3-way tilt and just as good to use.

Yes tilt head is fine for birds - you don't really need the up/down tilt of the ball head because you can move the monopod itself. But the ball is good for macro when you can't always move the monopod in case the spider shoots through. The ball head suits me as I can use it on tripod or monopod instead of buying two heads. Or using the tripod as a monopod (as I do) I have the extra convenience of using it as a tripod.

Just for more opinions or options, here are two threads on d-grin discussing them.

http://www.dgrin.com...nopod+ball+head

and

http://www.dgrin.com...nopod+ball+head

Settled on a Manfrotto monopod and a 234RC tilt. When In your hands the monopod is rock solid & would make for a weapon...Im sure it would be a hassle to get it into some events...I once had a plastic poster roll on a strap and often I had to surrender it for "safety reasons" at events.

Thought if I went the basic option I could change later as I felt the need to.