A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Thats a brand new toy I got for him about 2 days ago... We call her Ms Cow and Nova sure does love her. He's not very good but he spent most of last night attempting to hump her laugh.gif At least he knows how to cuddle after.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw love the photo of Nova cuddling his teddy!

Today, Tyrion's breeder came to see him! He was very interested to see the rear dew claws - and can't believe that he and his vet missed them. He told us that Tyrion is growing very nicely and to get a quote from the vet and that he will cover the cost of the rear dew claw removal. :thumbsup:

Guest hankodie

4 days in with Hank and he's already figured out how to escape his puppy pen by pushing on it with his paw and wriggling through the gap :laugh: he's settling in very well, started showing his playful (mischievous?) side but I'm still in amazed at how quickly he settles. Does anybody have any tips handy on how to train him from jumping up on people when being patted? I noticed that he's generally very good but I want to nip any jumping issues in the bud, especially seeing as our other dog has a horrible habit of doing this and he will be x4 her size :eek: this is my first "big" dog so I am going to try to be very thorough with his training.

Here he is today in the backyard again - smiling (and chewing on a leaf) :laugh:

xkq4av.jpg

Naww he is so adorable!

For not jumping, basically don't give him any attention unless he has all four paws on the ground. When he knows sit, then you can make him sit first too. Think of it as the dog way of saying 'please'. He has to do something that is good to get your attention.

Make sure all visitors know this rule smile.gif

Edited by LisaCC

Guest hankodie

Naww he is so adorable!

For not jumping, basically don't give him any attention unless he has all four paws on the ground. When he knows sit, then you can make him sit first too. Think of it as the dog way of saying 'please'. He has to do something that is good to get your attention.

Make sure all visitors know this rule smile.gif

Great advice LisaCC, thank you! I think that will be my game plan for when Hank meets strangers. He's almost mastered the "sit" so I will get him to sit before pats. I spoke too soon about the jumping - just now I went into his puppy pen to sit down and he jumped up and started humping my leg! :eek: oh my! it's been a while since I've had a boy dog but is this normal? A quick search says it's due to excitement... probably because of our prior game of tug which got him a bit excited and I had a toy in my hand! I got up and ignored him a couple of times and he settled pretty quickly. I should probably instigate some calmer play, I've lived with a bulldog for so long I've forgotten how to do "gentle"!

It's normal. It can be a sign of dominance though even in young pups, so I never allow humping of humans or other dogs. I don't mind them humping toys, bedding etc, but others don't allow that either.

Nova is a dominance humper, he will only ever do it to my housemate (which he gets reprimanded for) because she isn't very consistent with rules, he will also bark at her for attention. I'm trying to train her at the same time as Nova!

Guest hankodie

It's normal. It can be a sign of dominance though even in young pups, so I never allow humping of humans or other dogs. I don't mind them humping toys, bedding etc, but others don't allow that either.

Nova is a dominance humper, he will only ever do it to my housemate (which he gets reprimanded for) because she isn't very consistent with rules, he will also bark at her for attention. I'm trying to train her at the same time as Nova!

I definitely feel your pain about training others, my father-in-law is the absolute. worst. He always encourages our other dog's jumping despite me telling him a million times that she needs to settle before he can greet her. She too barks at him for attention!

That's interesting about the dominance - he hasn't tried it on our other dog yet, who would most definitely put him in his place (she's quite the bossy boots herself) so I have a feeling it's more excitement but he is indeed coming out of his shell. I heard growling from his crate earlier today, peeked around the corner and he was entertaining himself by rolling his kong around and pouncing on it:laugh:

Nova hasn't tried it on other dogs but I found it very obvious why he was only doing it to the person who is least authoritative. But as above he has started doing it to Ms Cow laugh.gif

It sounds like he is settling in very well smile.gif

Guest hankodie

hello again. Sorry for the number of posts but I have another question! For the last couple of nights Hank has vomited in his crate in the mornings - yesterday at 3 AM and today at 5. Should I take him to the vet today? He's acting normal and playful, stools look nice and firm, he still loves his food and is drinking normally. Scarfed up his breakfast just now.

Both nights the vomit looked like bile (gross) so maybe he's hungry during the night? He gets fed 3 times - at 7, 12 and 5. I can't help but worry, when our frenchie was a puppy we discovered she had a rare liver disease so I am extremely paranoid right now!

If he vomits up undigested food, then that's more of a concern than bile.

On a similar note, Nixon has generally retched up the occasional bit of bile, and when he was smaller there would be little clumps of hair in it - I think when he was losing his puppy coat and was grooming a lot.

The last couple of days he's been sleeping quietly then will wake up to hoik/vomit but nothing really comes up (that I can tell). It sounds awful, and it's happening fairly often - maybe 10 times a day (that I'm aware of while we're at home). He seems otherwise fine and not distressed, but it sounds awful, and it's happening a LOT more than it was. Should I be worried? Have contemplated calling the vet but it seems a bit silly when he doesn't seem bothered by it. Any ideas?

Both nights the vomit looked like bile (gross) so maybe he's hungry during the night? He gets fed 3 times - at 7, 12 and 5. I can't help but worry, when our frenchie was a puppy we discovered she had a rare liver disease so I am extremely paranoid right now!

either push back his evening meal or give him a bedtime snack like a hard biscuit.

If he vomits up undigested food, then that's more of a concern than bile.

On a similar note, Nixon has generally retched up the occasional bit of bile, and when he was smaller there would be little clumps of hair in it - I think when he was losing his puppy coat and was grooming a lot.

The last couple of days he's been sleeping quietly then will wake up to hoik/vomit but nothing really comes up (that I can tell). It sounds awful, and it's happening fairly often - maybe 10 times a day (that I'm aware of while we're at home). He seems otherwise fine and not distressed, but it sounds awful, and it's happening a LOT more than it was. Should I be worried? Have contemplated calling the vet but it seems a bit silly when he doesn't seem bothered by it. Any ideas?

could be several things, sore throat from illness or a scratch from something going down the wrong way, could be he still has some hair that needs to come out. Or even a light dose of kennel cough. I'd be going to the vet cause dogs don't normally try to vomit multiple times a day. If it was KC question the vet closely if they want to put him on anitbiotics. They are usually not needed.

Thanks Rebanne - I didn't even think of it being a cough, but realistically he doesn't seem to be bringing anything up, so that could make sense. He did have a little sneezing fit last night too, so maybe he is sick!

The only idea I had is that maybe he's allergic to his bed, but he was fine on it a few days ago.

Guest hankodie

Thanks everyone. The first night was definitely clear looking bile, 2nd night was bile mixed with some brown yuck and a small kibble piece that I put in his crate at bedtime. I will keep an eye on it but he isn't doing it during the day - only in the early hours which makes sense if it's due to having an empty tummy. I'll try feeding him dinner a bit later tonight and I'll see how he goes.

Taking him to the vet this arvo, where they'll assess him in the car! :)

Thanks for the heads up Rebanne, even if it isn't kennel cough, it wouldn't have even occurred to me that it was a possibility.

Will be very sad if he has to miss his final basic obedience class on saturday, but better than making other dogs sick. Lucky we've been too busy to go to the park the last few days.

I must say Nixon seemed fine at lunch - didn't cough/retch once... It seems to happen when he's been lying down for a while.

But having said that, I've definitely had colds where I only need to cough when I'm lying down, and you get that awful tickle in the back of your throat... It woke him up at 4.30am this morning which is pretty unusual, so there's something going on. Unfortunately our least favourite vet is on this arvo, but hopefully he will redeem himself.

Ok, anyone else had this problem?

At puppy school, Tyrion is raring to go! He does whats asked of him, is hyper as anything, loves playing with the other dogs, responds well to training. Tried doing some training with him the last couple of days at home. And he just looks at me as if to say "you have to be kidding yea?" and turns around and goes back to his crate. I tried a couple of different types of foods, but he literally just turns his nose up at it and walks away. Am I doing it at the wrong time of day? Treats not good enough? Is it his age? 14 weeks? that hes trying to get out of doing stuff. Seriously its dinner time, and I thought oh cool he'll be nice and hungry I'll do some work with him, and he is just like "meh whatever. I'm not THAT hungry if I have to sit/stand/drop/stay for it, I'll just lay in my crate"

Suggestions?!