A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Yeah Lisa, he has one of the fancy bowls, but it still doesn't take him long to empty it :) I'll have to find a pic of him attacking it. He's getting lots of play and games and training, but it's not the same. He'll survive though!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hankodie

Well you were all right about the chicken neck, I gave him one before I read the replies and he tried to swallow it whole!!! I quickly fished it out of his mouth and bashed it up but I think I will stick to bigger bones!

Guest hankodie

Oh no! How is Tyrion going at puppy school?

We have finally heard from obedience school and beginners is starting up Monday week! Yay!

And thanks, I think he is turning into a pretty handsome man smile.gif

More cuteness for your eyeballs! Mmmm frozen chicken frame!

spacer.gif1170745_10151653590295787_730357002_n.jpg

:love: He is so handsome. You must get stopped on the street a hundred times a day.

We had a Frenchie fun day today out at the regatta center at Penrith in Sydney. Was such an awesome day! Tank won 'Frenchie with the Happiest Face'! :rofl:

I think I'm going to have a big Frenchie... Tank was so much bigger than all the other pups his age! He's five months old today and he is over 9kgs... :laugh: :thumbsup:

Some pics... :)

Tank competing for prizes...

1149029_10152147045169488_557346688_n.jpg

Tank playing with Max (brindle, also five months)and Delilah (pied, nine months I think)

a376ed7807ed11e3b4cc22000a1fbe13_7.jpg

This photo is too much!

4252c7d807ed11e39cc922000aaa090c_7.jpg

fa7bcfe007ec11e3a77c22000a1fbb14_7.jpg

Thanks Hankodie, and yea, I get stopped constantly. Had a man yesterday ask me what mix he was and after I told him he was an Aussie he just went "Nah mate, thats a koolie cross". Urghhhhh, people annoy me lol.

Looks like it was an awesome day Smash!

Attention Zerelouh! I happened to come across a collar and leash set that Tyrion NEEDS to have when he is big biggrin.gif I think you should get it with red stones instead of pink and with an engraved plate that says 'A Lannister always pays his debts' Then if god forbid he ever gets lost, people will know you will make good on the reward. laugh.gif

I found it on the Karma Collar facebook page

10881_604303206281762_1512406534_n.jpg

Edited by LisaCC

Thanks Hankodie, and yea, I get stopped constantly. Had a man yesterday ask me what mix he was and after I told him he was an Aussie he just went "Nah mate, thats a koolie cross". Urghhhhh, people annoy me lol.

Yes! I get, "Oh that dog has some german shepherd in it"

all. the. time.

Nixon very patiently waiting for permission to eat his breakfast:

post-49251-0-36508400-1376866214_thumb.jpg

Eating from his fancy bowl:

post-49251-0-02574500-1376866254_thumb.jpg

When we first tried him with it, he was still pretty small, and even without the lids it was freaking him out! The holes are pretty small and he couldn't figure out how to use his tongue to scoop his food out. So, we put it away for a few months. After we re-introduced it he used to attack it like crazy and tried to use brute force to crack it open which wasn't very successful... Now he knows how it works and it doesn't really take him long to get it all. It does slow down the whole process though, which is the idea.

Yes! I get, "Oh that dog has some german shepherd in it"

all. the. time.

lol I got asked if Tyrion was part husky. :S

Oh Lisa I LOVE that collar and Leash set. TOTALLY putting it on my to buy list when Tyrion is bigger!

Lollipup, Nova gets GSD too lol, I'm pretty sure just because of the name Australian Shepherd.

I had another guy just keep saying 'No but what is he made of?" Me: "They are a purebred dog", "Yea, but what are they made of". So I just said "If he was a Labrador would you ask the same thing?"

Next time I'll just say Yup, he's a Koolie x German Shepherd, his tail got bitten off by a rampaging goat.

Aliwake, they are great looking bowls! I think Nova would be liek Nixon was and just attempt to break it laugh.gif

Hmm A corgi is part husky? laugh.gif That person must be living a sheltered life!

I'm glad you liked it :D Gotta love enabling people!

Edited by LisaCC

I just remembered that the other week, when we'd bought a new bag of food but hadn't decanted it into the storage container yet, I thought that Nixon was taking a bit too long to eat his dinner and went to check on him and he'd attacked the bag and ripped holes in it and was happily eating an extra dinner serving.... I was pretty annoyed, but then I realised we've been training him to work for his dinner, so it was entirely our fault. He has to figure out how to open all the bits of his blue bowl, and then he eats out of kongs as well, so I guess to him it was just another cheeky food hiding toy... We won't be leaving bags of food around again!!

He's also reached a height now where he can easily see on top of our side tables and tv cabinet, so given he's bored at the moment he takes great delight in taking things he shouldn't off the table and taking them outside to destroy! Saturday morning's victims included half a roll of paper towels, a water squirty bottle, and the airconditioner remote... Oh, and the pizza menu.

sigh. I hope he grows our of this teenager rubbish asap - it's wearing thin already!

Ah Lisa, you're making me sad! I'm hoping it's just cos he's extra bored at the moment. Nothing a few good walks won't knock out of him?! and a good run around at the park?!

His sleep patterns have gone to hell since he was sick too. He's now waking up sometime between midnight and 4am, then 5am, then 6am (at which point he will jump on the bed until we cave and get up to feed him or I shut him outside the bedroom). I try to avoid feeding him straight away when he does that, cos I figure it will just encourage him. He doesn't seem to take the hint though!

Ah Lisa, you're making me sad! I'm hoping it's just cos he's extra bored at the moment. Nothing a few good walks won't knock out of him?! and a good run around at the park?!

His sleep patterns have gone to hell since he was sick too. He's now waking up sometime between midnight and 4am, then 5am, then 6am (at which point he will jump on the bed until we cave and get up to feed him or I shut him outside the bedroom). I try to avoid feeding him straight away when he does that, cos I figure it will just encourage him. He doesn't seem to take the hint though!

It is probably just because he's being quarantined but just remember the more you exercise him the fitter he will get (but so will you smile.gif).

Did you crate train him? Perhaps you need to bring the crate back out for night time. Go back to basics, night is for sleeping.

Well another rung on the I think Treble is broken ladder. He still won't eat bones as he thinks they are to play with, I left him with a lamb shank and I watched him through the window thinking he wasn't eating them before because I was there as he won't eat with an audience :laugh: but he picked it up and walked over to his shady spot and started to lick it, he then got frustrated with it as he started to nose it then got up and promptly started to chew on a rock. I then went back outside and started to try and tear the meat off the bone I didn't do a good job of it because one I have fingers instead of pointy teeth and two it was slimy due to dog slobber. He seemed to get more interested in it and had a couple of chews of it but then went back to chewing rocks :(

I have also been told that he isn't suitable for assistance dog material as he is either too headstrong or stupid or both for the role :cry: if that is the case though (we are going to try another trainer) then I will have to look for another dog (any suggestions?) I'll be keeping Treble though too many people have told me that if he isn't going to be an assistance dog to send him back to the breeder but I love him too much plus he makes me laugh :D

--Lhok

Oh Lhok, I'm so sorry Treble might not work out as an assistance dog, I hope the other trainer can find some potential in him.

Regarding other potential dogs, what about a pup bred specifically to be assistance dogs? Like how the guide dogs have their own breeding programs?

I'm glad he is making you laugh though :) Sometimes all you need is a big boofy dog biggrin.gif

Treble sounds hilarious! I'm so glad he makes you laugh Lhok!

Sourcing an assistance dog sounds like it might be tricky...

Lisa, I think you're right about crating - I've been thinking that might be the answer. I wouldn't say he's 'crate trained' because I made the mistake of buying a soft crate, and he chewed the whole front off it back in his playpen days and so it doesn't actually close. But, he does like being in there, so I think he is certainly crate trainable. We do need a bigger crate now though. I would like another soft crate though, cos the metal ones are so big and ugly (and heavy!), and I think he would be ok if he wasn't left unattended with it, but you never know. It's a bit of a dilemma.

If you think he would get out of it I would go a metal crate and get a nice cover for it. If Nixon ever needs to be put on crate rest for some reason or another it's always good to have one handy that you know he won't escape from.

Edited by LisaCC

yeah, that's true I suppose. I guess it's more that our room isn't very big, and at least with the soft crate it's easy to move out to the living area during the day, but a metal crate wouldn't be moving.

Do you know what size crate you had for Sam? I've read varying suggestions of 36" or 42". I think he will be a fairly big boy, so I'm leaning towards the 42"...

I never crate trained Sam. Would of been handy though.

I would go for a 42, I have a 36inch for Nova and he will be quite a bit smaller than a lab. For Sam I would've gone for a 46, he was a very big boy.

Guest hankodie

Aliwake you can find some metal crates that sit on little roller things which make it easier to drag in and out of rooms :) we bought the 42" for Hank with a partition to make the space bigger as he grows (we've had to move it already!). It is rather unsightly, I might buy one of those canvas covers from Etsy. The plan is to crate train him until he earns "dog bed rights" like Odie but crate training is always a good thing to enforce when pups are little, Odie still loves her crate and if I pop out for an hour or two I usually crate her (even if I don't I often find her in her crate with the door open, asleep)

I bought mine from www.vebopet.com.au, decent quality and price :)