A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: We have sitting on command! Without doing the Spitz thing and telling me to bugger off. Treb is even getting closer to have a recall :D :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Although now I have said something I bet he reverts :laugh:

--Lhok

yaaaaay!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hankodie

It's may be a naive questions... But why is tug so important?

Rangermad that's not a naive question at all! For me, I'm trying to encourage games with Hank for a number of reasons - 1) To encourage his drive for play in order for me to use it as a reward in training (as I would like an alternative to using just food rewards), 2) mental/physical exercise and teaching him to play games by my rules (only tug when I invite him to, drop the tug for a reward when I say so, etc) 3) So that he learns that I'm fun to be around! And this will (hopefully) make him more inclined to come back to me under any and all circumstances.

I'm sure someone here can elaborate a bit on the benefits of playing games with puppies but that's just what I've learned so far from my trainer, who is much better at explaining these things than I am :laugh:

Hankodie, Have you asked your question to your trainer? I'm sure they can help.

Is Hank at teething age? This can put them off as they are sore so they should have a break between 4 to 6 months. My other tips are:

- Don't stress about it

- Be really exciting. Act like you really want to play with the toy and have a genuine interest in it and want to share the fun with him

- If he is losing interest a lot, try letting him win the tug a bit more often

- End the tug game and put the toy away when he wants more

- Don't let him have access to the tugs unless you are playing with them and to make them more exciting you can take away his other soft toys that he may be choosing as a preference.

- Start with softer tugs and work up gradually but it is important to teach all different tugs so he doesn't only prefer one type of surface. Try using a rag to get his interest up. Make the prey item come alive and get him to chase it, then tug.

Hope some of these have been helpful. PM me any time :)

Guest hankodie

Thanks Lollipup, great suggestions, I shall take them on board! You are a gem. Good point about the teething, I don't think he's started yet but I'll be careful to stop for a couple of months once he does. He definitely seems to have a preference to his soft toys so I'll try working him up to the tougher tugs. My trainer has come around a couple of times since I've brought Hank home but I haven't had a chance to ask her about it, I'll definitely ask her for a few pointers when we start obedience :)

I'm still trying to figure out what motivates him - he has an equal love for food and play but mostly he seems to be eager to please which i am praying will last because it's such a welcome change from raising the world's most stubborn dog :pray:

Well our road trip was a success :) Nova slept for most of it, chewed on a kong for about half and hour then back to sleep. We stopped twice, one just for a quick wee, another at Cowra for lunch and a run around the new dog park.

It was empty and just great! So well maintained.

This morning he's been exploring Mums garden, already went for a dip in the fish pond laugh.gif

Road tripping

545689_10151670764265787_41570178_n.jpg

Cowra's Dog park

64443_10151672505060787_597848455_n.jpg

993000_10151672505475787_73422558_n.jpg

1001926_10151672504385787_2113399021_n.jpg

Exploring Mums garden, he was sniffing in this photo :)

1235276_10151672506075787_1356611482_n.jpg

Mmmm Bird bath

1150267_10151672506605787_2029291357_n.jpg

Ok I seem to have done something right in the sense that Treb will sit for me everytime I ask him at home yet when he is out he closes his ears. I actually saw him fold his ears shut :mad when I asked him to sit. He also chokes himself on the slip lead I have, I have tried a metal check chain and nup he still pulls unless he is tired then he walks happily beside me. While he is tired and walks beside me I praise him for doing it (in vain hope he gets the idea) but I am a little unsure if I am suppose to do that.

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

Ok I seem to have done something right in the sense that Treb will sit for me everytime I ask him at home yet when he is out he closes his ears. I actually saw him fold his ears shut :mad when I asked him to sit. He also chokes himself on the slip lead I have, I have tried a metal check chain and nup he still pulls unless he is tired then he walks happily beside me. While he is tired and walks beside me I praise him for doing it (in vain hope he gets the idea) but I am a little unsure if I am suppose to do that.

--Lhok

will he come back to your leg when you have treats? At dog school we reward them. ANYTIME they come to our left hand side. This way, being on the left side close to my leg, is a very rewarding place to be. Have you tried a martingale collar? or a halti? for walking? That should stop him from choking himself.

I prefer walking in a harness for everyday walking and leave my martingale for training. It means that any pressure is on the chest and I feel it gives me more control. And as the martingale is used as a training collar it also acts as an association that now we are going to train and I have to focus so I get lots of yummy treats. I also constantly throw treats or pats every time I catch Atticus looking at me so as to reward focusing on me. Even just casually. Have treats on you in your pocket, some kibble or dry food. And I also keep little plastic containers of dry treats around the house to run too if I catch awesome unexpected behaviour.

Guest hankodie

Lhok - I use this harness from Black Dog for my other dog who is a horrible puller. It has 2 connector points that you connect the leash to and you use them sort of like horse reigns :laugh: It gives much better control than a normal harness, it might be a better alternative if Treb is choking himself wearing the collars.

I'm looking at getting a harness, I got him fitted for a halti but his head is too fat for the largest they had :laugh: The people at the store showed me a bunch of harnesses but they didn't have anything I liked as they all seemed to roll Treble's fur which annoyed him.I was thinking of a martingale collar but I'm not really sure it would work on him as he has quite a thick coat.

So that's where we are at the moment.

--Lhok

We have a CantrolCord for Gus. I'm torn between love and hate.

http://www.cantrolcord.com/

I love that he seems to respond to it most of the time, the ribcage pressure combined with praise and treats for loose leash walking have made life a lot easier in some respects. I love that it is soft, it doesn't seem to rub and it's a clever design, even boy proof- other half is not harness savvy ;)

I love that when he's walking loose there's minimal shoulder pressure and it's always perfectly fitting, because you fit it each time you put it on.

I don't however love that when he does pull, he still chokes a little, nor do I love that the fabric is starting to fuzz up where the rings sit, which makes me question the durability. It's a PITA having it all in one, because when he needs to be leashed quickly or briefly it's a performance to get on and off, but overall it's not all that bad. I don't know whether the results we're getting are from the harness or the rewards for behaving or a mix. I do feel next time I'll be getting something else, probably just a standard harness and working with him on that but it certainly has served it's purpose for now, even if nothing else but a walking harness.

I just had a really good look at the photo I put up and you can see how thick his coat is as there is only a little bit of the d ring on the collar poking through, plus you can see the collar outline in his coat.

--Lhok