A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So confused right now...

I just woke up to super loud snoring, found Nova outside of his crate, which he went into at 10pm to sleep which is on the wall near the foot of my bed, he's now on the floor right next to me snoring his head off... THE CRATE DOOR IS STILL SHUT!

My bedroom door was still locked from the inside...

Im so so so confused confused.gifconfused.gifeek1.gif

Edited by LisaCC

So confused right now...

I just woke up to super loud snoring, found Nova outside of his crate, which he went into at 10pm to sleep which is on the wall near the foot of my bed, he's now on the floor right next to me snoring his head off... THE CRATE DOOR IS STILL SHUT!

My bedroom door was still locked from the inside...

Im so so so confused confused.gifconfused.gif:eek:

He didn't unlatch one of the latches and then squeese through the door? That's Dory's favourite trick, so we have to clip her in with snaps from old leads (usually Dory casualities too :laugh:)

If not....check for opposable thumbs....:eek:

Guest hankodie

Beckybecbec and Lisa thanks so much for the links! Time to buy him some new gear.

Lisa does Nova have one of those wire crates with 2 doors? Perhaps one of them was closed and not locked? That's happened to me before - had the biggest shock ever when I found him sitting next to it :laugh:

Edited by hankodie

Guest hankodie

Do any of you wonderful people have any insight? Hank is developing a barking problem in the mornings and I'm stumped on how to get him to stop. It's mainly in the morning when I'm preparing the dogs breakfast - he gets SO excited. We are trying to go this week without his puppy pen (which he also barked in during breakfast time)

I've tried the following: ignoring him completely until he stops (sometimes it takes AGES), giving him a time out (he barks at me even more), waiting until a moment where he's silent then clicking + rewarding him for settling (I don't think he gets the idea, he just starts up all over again when I walk away). It's driving me crazy because he has that piercing puppy bark and I'm worried the neighbours won't appreciate the noise so early in the morning.

He settles as soon as I bring out the food bowl/kong wobbler/whatever it is he has his breakfast in that day. He already knows to drop and wait for his food calmly so that's not the issue, it's all the stuff leading up to it.

Any ideas? I will bring this up with our trainer but I don't see her until Wednesday and it's driving me bananas at the moment :mad

He also does it when he's on his own in his crate which he never used to do. I'm hesitant to say it's separation anxiety or anything of the like because once he settles he's fine but I have to be careful because I work from home and spend so much time with them both I don't want him to fall to pieces if his humans aren't around. Odie is fine on her own.

Do any of you wonderful people have any insight? Hank is developing a barking problem in the mornings and I'm stumped on how to get him to stop. It's mainly in the morning when I'm preparing the dogs breakfast - he gets SO excited. We are trying to go this week without his puppy pen (which he also barked in during breakfast time)

I've tried the following: ignoring him completely until he stops (sometimes it takes AGES), giving him a time out (he barks at me even more), waiting until a moment where he's silent then clicking + rewarding him for settling (I don't think he gets the idea, he just starts up all over again when I walk away). It's driving me crazy because he has that piercing puppy bark and I'm worried the neighbours won't appreciate the noise so early in the morning.

He settles as soon as I bring out the food bowl/kong wobbler/whatever it is he has his breakfast in that day. He already knows to drop and wait for his food calmly so that's not the issue, it's all the stuff leading up to it.

Any ideas? I will bring this up with our trainer but I don't see her until Wednesday and it's driving me bananas at the moment :mad

He also does it when he's on his own in his crate which he never used to do. I'm hesitant to say it's separation anxiety or anything of the like because once he settles he's fine but I have to be careful because I work from home and spend so much time with them both I don't want him to fall to pieces if his humans aren't around. Odie is fine on her own.

Personally I'd scruff him, give him a little shake, say No or Grr quite loudly and repeat if need be. He's telling you what to do not the other way around.

Lisa, you really need to not let Nova watch the Magician "Dynamo" on TV any more :rofl:

We are back from our holidays and are now starting to look closely at puppies, probably a short coat Jack Russell, or a Parson Ruseell (seems to be less of them, but our ultimate preference. We are very excited, and very scared, as you would all remember! There doesn't seem to be many short coats around at the moment, most breeders seem to have no puppies at the moment, or rough coated ones, but we have patience and faith that the right one will turn up. :)

Your puppies are all doing so well, and you all seem to be doing great jobs, thanks for sharing a little with us all.

Di

Thanks Rebanne.

Tikira, I think you are right, we just watched that new movie the other day "Now you see me" so maybe he started getting ideas? laugh.gif

Goodluck with your search! Have you found any breeders you like that you could get on their waiting list?

Not yet Lisa, but we have spoken to

TobyJack" in Armidale, and they are planning a litter soon, and will let us know details. "Jacklands" had some available, but they were broken coated.

I would be happy to hear recommenations, it seems there is not many breeding smooth coats or Parsons, as is always the way, when you want something in particular, less available..... Oh well.

There was a gorgeous 12 week old JR in Armidale pound, but I really at this point want a smooth coat boy.

It is fun searching though, and who knows where he will come from.

Di

I'm sure people here would be able to recommend a breeder :)

I just walked past two kids on their scooters, probably between 9 and 12, they were very awestruck by Nova. "WOAH!!, Your dog looks like a tiger!!!" They were very nice, so I actually let these ones pat him laugh.gif Although Nova got super excited by their scooters when they rode off.

Thanks for the heads up, Lisa. I'll check out Kmart tomorrow for a chain lead.

We took Griffin to the water today. He had a great time.

I so wasn't sure about the whole off lead thing though. I bought a Kmart cheapie extending lead thing for working on his recall at the local park last week so I took that down today. It worked well but I felt like a doofus because none of the other dogs were leashed. With all the excitement of the other dogs around etc, I was afraid he wouldn't come if i called him back. Mr distracted at the moment (squirrel!)! That and I just wasn't sure about some of the big dogs that were off the lead.

That's so freaky that he escaped Lisa! If he does it again you should set up a camera to solve the mystery... :)

We've had a couple of milestones lately. On sunday, Nixon finally destroyed his first shoe... It's taken so long due to extreme vigilance and keeping shoes put away at all times. However, I'd left these thongs in the bathroom as a sort of temptation, so see how he went. When I was in the bathroom with him he ignored them, and was great. Then later, I went for a lie down cos I wasn't feeling well, and I heard him go racing in to steal one and race outside. I figured I didn't have to worry straight away because he's usually more of a hoarder than a destroyer, but I think the hard plastic was too tempting for him. I finally got up to check about 5 mins later and he'd chewed through the strap in 2 places :( sad. bye bye thongs.

And the other milestone, is that we finally had him sleep outside our bedroom all night last night! The last few weeks he's become a midnight roamer, which is not good for anyone's sleep... He gets up, so we get up to let him out, then he doesn't actually go outside - just lies on the doormat for a while. Then he'll often wander around periodically over the next few hours. Has been disturbing for everyone.

So, we put his bed immediately outside our bedroom door last night, and shut it. I felt so bad! But, he lay down outside the door. I didn't hear him move even once, and when my husband opened the door this morning he was happily curled up in his bed! yay! No wandering, everyone slept better, all good!

I think we will gradually move the bed down the hallway towards the loungeroom, and hopefully that will be a long term solution for everyone. My husband was originally talking about him sleeping outside, but I'm not keen on that. I think he'd spend the night chasing possums which wouldn't be ideal...

Guest hankodie

aliwake Hank is a shoe hoarder too! I'll have to keep an eye on him now :laugh:

Just a heads up everyone, I was folding the washing this morning and saw (what I'm pretty sure was) a paralysis tick :eek:

This is the first one I've seen since we moved here almost 12 months ago. I applied Advantix on Hank this morning but I can't use any preventative on Odie because of her liver issues :( so looks like I'll be checking her over all summer. Damn ticks!