Dog Removed From Home, Shot By Ranger

Sheridan

Shooting a dog for knocking a couple bins over........ Okay then.

No - shooting a dog because the owner surrendered it .

Surrendered dogs around those outback towns usually end that way and most times on the same day.

The big deal here is the ranger talked the owner into it by lying but at the end of the day once ownership is no longer an issue its off you go.

Shooting a dog for knocking a couple bins over........ Okay then.

No - shooting a dog because the owner surrendered it .

Surrendered dogs around those outback towns usually end that way and most times on the same day.

The big deal here is the ranger talked the owner into it by lying but at the end of the day once ownership is no longer an issue its off you go.

He may as well have shot the dog in the backyard and dumped it in one of the bins.

Its not restricted to outback towns.

Here, in civilisation, among the affluent and priveleged, the Ranger threatened to seize my dogs, take them to the tip and shoot them.

Live by the sword, I say.

When I was a teen we owned a quite HA Rottweiler x ACD. The police knocked on our door one day and said if he ever was seen in the street off leash they'd shoot him. He was NEVER off leash out of the well fenced yard. What prompted such a violent and unwarranted door knock we never found out. If cops can behave like this I don't doubt for a second how low a ranger would stoop.

It's not nice for the human watching the dog get shot but really, it's one of the best ways to go. The alternative is a trip to the vet which would scare some dogs then strangers holding the dog tight to put a needle into the vein. People constantly confuse how they would feel with what a dog would feel.

Shooting is efficient and very quick... and it's cheap.

I don't necessarily agree with the practice, but it's just how it's done in some areas.

As for lying to the owner to get them to surrender the dog... definitely not the smartest move by the ranger involved.

T.

When I was a teen we owned a quite HA Rottweiler x ACD. The police knocked on our door one day and said if he ever was seen in the street off leash they'd shoot him. He was NEVER off leash out of the well fenced yard. What prompted such a violent and unwarranted door knock we never found out. If cops can behave like this I don't doubt for a second how low a ranger would stoop.

Whilst I'm not a big fan of council rangers, please don’t think they enjoy this aspect of their job, nor that they are insensitive to the inhumanity. At other councils, rangers are forced to load dogs into chambers and gas them. Whilst shooting it at the tip sounds barbaric and inhumane, a bullet through the head is probably more humane than gassing and no less so than lethal injection.

I have lived in regional towns where I couldn’t take my dog for a walk because of the uncontrolled dogs roaming the street.

The dogs here were un-registered and uncontrolled. Unfortunately (in the absence of any rescue options) the only other choice here was to impound the dog, keep it in the pound for a few weeks, and THEN euthanize it. It is a sad fate for any dog, but it is the fault of the uncontrolled breeding and irresponsible owners.