Dogs Seized From No Kill Shelter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true, but if I had to I can get people to verify my story, the problems there are well known among animal people in SA. The point is he is taking the fight to FB and making some pretty big claims in the media in a current investigation. If the council and rspca deny his allegations he has a lot to lose. I personally would be saying anything he has without a copy of it in writing in my hand. My point was it's no use us worrying too much over the future council and rspca action till it's been verified. It would be really foolish of both those groups to act outside their boundaries in a public case.

Hmmm, wish I could correct one thing he claims but I can't due to confidentiality issues. I can't see this being resolved, Moorook want to be able to take anything with a pulse and the council want a cap on numbers and time. They'll just close her down eventually and she bought this on herself.

I was looking for photos.........

news video

Images appear to be after the first visit.

Actually looks better than I expected considering the controversy, for a place that would have no budget to speak of :shrug: Just a very rural setup, there's concrete runs and dirt floor pens (not that it looks like you'd ever get lush green grass anyway).

Nobody has pointed out who the lifetime residents are so it's impossible to tell who is just passing through before adoption.

Having worked for a government department, if the council and RSPCA are in any way similar with regulations, then for him to represent Moorook, Lola would be required to lodge a formal, written request to have him acting on her behalf because of Privacy Act restrictions. I'm just speculating but it's possible the issue stems from something like this. Also, I have no idea what Mark is like for them to deal with in person but quite a bit of what he has posted online has been rather unprofessional and derogatory toward the RSPCA so they may not feel that Moorook is an issue they are able to work with him on. Again, purely speculation on my part with absolutely nothing to back up what I'm saying.

My thoughts too, if you read between the lines of his own words.

From the above link. Without being there obviously we can only speculate, but they may have taken exception to the bolded part.

"On the way the RSPCA solicitors phoned me to explain they had a right to enter the property under section 30 of the Act, having by now memorised the Act, I made it clear they had no right, and that if any person was found on the property without the right to be there, they would be removed."

• 2 weeks later...

Things are getting uglier. Moorook posted last night that there were rspca inspectors in plain clothes and a big truck (one they use when seizing) were at Blanchetown and there would likely be another inspection/raid in the morning. People apparently were on the lookout and told Moorook what they saw. Moorook posted that two accommodation places in the Riverland refused them a room for the night. This morning I read that the Riverland police has given the rspca inspectors a no stop order and defected their truck. Last thing was rspca truck and inspectors seen heading back to Adelaide via Smithfield. All this is on the Moorook FB page.

rspca posted this in response, so someone is telling some big porkies.

"Our Facebook community has always been incredibly supportive in helping us achieve positive outcomes for animals. We’d like to thank our supporters for that.

However, Facebook can also be used to circulate misleading and inaccurate information.

We would like to clarify that at no point yesterday were RSPCA Animal Welfare Inspectors or any other staff in the Riverland area or anywhere near the Moorook Animal Shelter. A number of wildly false claims were made yesterday including that an RSPCA van was stopped by police, all of which are completely untrue.

We would also like to give some clarity to the investigation regarding the Moorook Animal Shelter. The inspectorate is entrusted by the SA Parliament to uphold and enforce the Animal Welfare Act. As the community expects, our inspectors have, at all times, acted responsibly, appropriately and within accordance of the Act.

While we respect and are very supportive of independent animal welfare shelters we also have a legal as well as a moral obligation to ensure that they are providing a level of care that meets all the needs of the animals.

Following several complaints from members of the public, a magistrate considered there was sufficient evidence to grant us a warrant permitting inspectors unrestricted access to the Moorook Animal Shelter. The initial inspection conducted in March by inspectors, a behaviourist, and an independent vet resulted in a number of Animal Welfare Notices being issued to the shelter and 8 dogs and a kitten being surrendered. Sadly, three dogs and the kitten needed to be humanely euthanased due to untreatable, unmanageable, and ongoing medical conditions. The remaining five dogs surrendered to us by the Moorook Animal Shelter are in our care, and are receiving vital treatment & TLC from staff and volunteers, and their conditions are improving.

The Moorook investigation is ongoing and it is therefore not legally possible or appropriate to discuss details of the matter publicly. To divulge information could be prejudicial if the matter goes to court, and unfair on the Moorook Animal Shelter if it does not.

We work incredibly hard to rehome as many animals as possible, and these figures are improving all the time. Adoptions for the first quarter of 2013 were 10% higher than for the same period last year. There are many examples of us finding forever homes for animals that are elderly or disabled. Some have been in our care for many months before being adopted.

Our primary concern is, and always will be, the welfare of animals."

Too many posts to copy so I'll post a summary post from Moorook. All this is available to the public, no confidences have been breached by me posting this.

"Just an update on the happenings of last night for those who have woken up to a mess on our page and are trying to make sense of it.

The RSPCA are supposed to come back and do a final inspection to ensure we comply. The things we had to rectify were actually minor and fixed within a few days. The RSPCA is welcome at Moorook but by appointment. They need to remember that Lola lives on the property, has a life when she’s not attending to the animals and does need to leave the shelter for veterinary and personal reasons.

Mark Aldridge has been trying to speak to the RSPCA to find out what day they were planning on arriving. They wont speak to him, or Lola – they only want to speak to our lawyer. Well we are not going to engaging a lawyer to make an appointment.

Lola would like Mark onsite when the RSPCA next comes. Don’t forget she’s 65, is ill at the moment, has already lost 9 of her babies and is struggling with all that has happened.

Last night the Riverland Community banded together in outrage as the RSPCA tried to sneak into the Riverland. Not only did they not bother to tell the shelter when they were coming, they also had their ‘death truck’ with them, with the intention to seize more animals.

They were refused accommodation at several places, given a no-stop order by the police and defects were placed on their vehicles. They were last seen returning to Adelaide, at Smithfield at approximately 12.30am.

RSPCA all of this unpleasantness could be avoided if you had the courtesy and maturity to advise Lola when you plan to attend to finalise the inspection. She has received your fax but will not be engaging a lawyer to speak on her behalf.

Any faith we had in the RSPCA doing the right thing was destroyed last night when they once again brought their ‘death truck’ into the Riverland for what should have been a simple compliance inspection. They were obviously planning on seizing more dogs.

I know you’re monitoring this page RSPCA – please contact either Mark or Lola, act professionally and maturely and you’ll be treated with same.

As an added note I’d just like to thank the people of the Riverland Community. We had some people and businesses go above and beyond last night to show their compassion and support for the shelter and thank you just doesn’t seem enough. When I told Lola about it this morning she was just about in tears of gratitude. So, thank you xx"

AND

"Fully expecting some more comments that I'm being childish & unprofessional but am beyond that ... this is what karma is all about

The RSPCA has been given a no-stop order by local police in response to the overwhelming support from surrounding towns. They have also been fined for bald tyres and formal warnings (defects) on the larger truck, which incidentally was going to house the animals they planned to seize.

Thank you to the local community for all your support xx"

Definitely uglier. I assume that if the police stopped the truck and if motels refused accommodation, this can be proved. Not sure why they'd need accommodation, though?

On the flip side, if the dogs pts had untreatable and unmanageable medical conditions, this can be disproved by Moorook's vet.

Certainly, no one seems to be doing themselves any favours and as usual, the only ones who will end up suffering are the dogs.

They were allegedly up there last night. One thing that struck me what was the police were supposed to have done. I can't see them doing something as unprofessional as informing Moorook about them pulling up a motorist. Moorook claims other people can back them up and had seen the rspca. But I hadn't read anyone else saying they had seen them, only Moorooks posts. I'm not taking sides, just posting what I am reading, I have no idea what the truth is :confused: