Dogs Seized From No Kill Shelter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems something is going down right now. From the boycott rspca page.

"Filthy scum are at Moorook and have broken in with police assistance, they are there to take animals, please get there asap, urgent, cameras, and demand answers, get there asap, need every one on site now.....urgent"

Then there is this on a related thread "My sis just spoke to a volunteer who is at moorook saying they not there . Can someone please clarify??????". I misread, channel 7 not on their way. But everyone will be calling them and other stations so they may head up.

Edited by Reverend Jo

You should see the comments, people are talking about physically stopping them from taking the dogs into Lonsdale, letting down tyres, stopping them from actually taking dogs. Comments are pretty ugly and I wouldn't be surprised if this call to arms ends in violence if they are there.

Latest update.

"So I thought I'd have a day off today, have a sleep in ... wow did I pick the wrong day. Here's an update from the shelter:

The RSPCA arrived with approx 6 officers. The gates were locked, they broke into the premises which in itself is disgusting, not only the breaking in part but we have dogs that run loose as it's their home. They could've easily gotten out.

They had the police with them. Lola asked to see the warrant and they waved a piece of paper in front of her face but wouldn't let her read it - we are still trying to find out if it's legitimate.

They had the 'death' van there ready to seize more dogs.

They said one cat had runny eyes, we'll post a picture up later to let you gauge for yourselves.

They were told Channel 7 were on their way and they immediately left.

So, we don't know if this was their final inspection or just more intimidation tactics. Will keep you updated as I find out more x"

There is a lot to be said for picking your battles. We all know there are major issues with the rspca but they have the power and it's a given they will win this one. Meant to say I was smugly told the other night that the country cops are different to city cops and that's why they helped Moorook by allegedly targeting the rspca. Funny how they didn't "help" this time.

Edited by Reverend Jo

From the rspca this afternoon.

"RSPCA South Australia For those who are enquiring about the Inspectorate's routine inspection this morning:

Inspectors returned to the Moorook animal shelter in the Riverland today, to ensure living conditions for animals on the property have improved.

Whilst Animal Welfare Inspectors recognise some work has been carried out to improve the shelter, inspectors remain concerned about the health and welfare of some of the animals on

the property.

The Inspectorate will address these concerns with the proprietor of the shelter.

These standards are determined by the Animal Welfare Act 1985.

Members of the inspectorate were accompanied by a behaviourist and an independent veterinarian. No animals were removed from the premises.

Five dogs surrendered by the shelter in March remain in our care and their treatment is continuing. We are doing everything we can to ensure the best outcome for them.

As is the case with any investigation, Animal Welfare Inspectors will now give careful and considered thought to the information at hand, to determine the most appropriate course of action from here.

As the matter is ongoing, we cannot comment further at this time.

This is also available from our website: http://www.rspcasa.org.au/files/view/?id=1014

Thank you."

I wonder if they will start to enforce these standards not only with other shelters but also any breeders they come across. It comes to mind that registered breeders are easy targets and most small scale hobby breeders would not have the required concrete floored facilities that seem to be a requirement (or is that NSW only?) as many prefer to raise their litters inside their home rather than a kennel environment...

Edited by BlackJaq

The thing that bothers me about yesterday was that they knew the rspca didn't cut the locks, but they still posted numerous FB posts saying they did. I'm not ever going to excuse any rspca actions but it was a clear attempt to mislead people. The "person" that informed Mark that the rspca was there would also have had the correct information about the locks, so it shows they lie or they post information they don't even know is correct. There was no post saying sorry we made a mistake, the locks weren't cut, just a few comments here and there. Also, would the local police really have let them through without a current warrant or not letting her see it with all this scrutiny.

Surely you can't insist that the RSPCA tells you when they are coming?

If it is a follow up visit to check that recommendations given have been done, you can... but only if you ask politely...

If you carry on and publically scream abuse at them, they aren't going to be likely to give you any leeway. Mor flies with honey as they say...

T.

They constantly call for lots of people to urgently get there if they think the rspca is coming and have been told they'll be "removed" why would they do what Moorook wants, which is all on their terms. If I was an inspector with an ongoing cruelty case and had been threatened I wouldn't turn up without a warrant and reinforcements either. I'd also film everything.

Surely if they are able to call on people to come then they must know the RSPCA is coming? Apart from that if you've got nothing to hide then it shouldn't matter when they come.

Not necessarily true KC... if the RSPCA do have a vendetta for whatever reason, then it won't matter how squeaky clean the place is, they will find something wrong with it...

T.