Awl Ipswich Suspended Until Further Notice

Is that email address going to be different, because all the other times I've attempted to contact them NO ONE EMAILS BACK. There shouldn't be any ifs about it, there is a very clear conflict of interest that has been going on whether you admit to it or not. It is very unethical to have a private business police an industry in which they also conduct business in. This is already going on and a lot of people know about it, no other industry would tolerate this. Of course the council can make a statement now stating that no parties that have a conflict of interest may tender, it's called policy. I must admit though surely this time they wouldn't be so blatant as to tender once they got their competition out, it may just be the impetus to finally have a investigation into the role of the rspca.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that email address going to be different, because all the other times I've attempted to contact them NO ONE EMAILS BACK. There shouldn't be any ifs about it, there is a very clear conflict of interest that has been going on whether you admit to it or not. It is very unethical to have a private business police an industry in which they also conduct business in. This is already going on and a lot of people know about it, no other industry would tolerate this. Of course the council can make a statement now stating that no parties that have a conflict of interest may tender, it's called policy. I must admit though surely this time they wouldn't be so blatant as to tender once they got their competition out, it may just be the impetus to finally have a investigation into the role of the rspca.

Where is this 'whether you admit it or not' coming from?

It's a given with all tenders that conflict of interest.... and even perceived conflict of interest... can be, & should be called. That call can come from any direction, given transparency required in local government processes.

You now want the Council to put it in their policy that the RPSCA will be barred from future tenders for their pound. Why?... when it's already indicated that they have awareness of conflict of interest. Cr Antonielli's described how he distanced himself, as an RSPCA board member, from any Council decisions about the RSCPA coming in with interim service.

The same scrutiny should apply if there's a future tender for the Pound service, where there's been a recent event of RSPCA investigation.

The discussions about the role of the RSPCA go way back. Even the CEO once went public with a personal wish that it could be a welfare organisation only... and that the policing should be handled elsewhere. I've always believed that the policing role should be a public service. But in an age when governments are reducing public services and encouraging a shift to private providers & charities, it's not likely to take off.

Meanwhile in the reality of the present. It's to be hoped that the AWL stands well in the investigation, on its respected record. With natural justice delivered by all concerned. We don't even know what these later complaints are ... after the RSPCA had already passed the AWL shelter care.

Nothing more I could add to that. Except lovely message with pic of AWL Ipswich folk on Facebook only 12 hrs ago. (Do they know something we don't?) Makes you want to hug them all. :)

It's not goodbye, it's see ya later! Thanks to all our supporters :)

Edited by mita

You also have to remember that AWL has equal status with the RSPCA - if the shoe were on the other foot then it would be the same outcome.Some group charged with doing what is needed which is in fact the competition. Could be worse it may be that they had to investigate and clean up after themselves I guess.

Oh I was wondering what would happen if complaints came in about the Rspca, so AWL would come in? I wasn't aware they had cruelty inspectors in Qld, I know they do in NSW.

Edited by varicool

It's just a mess, what really needs to happen is that policing powers are only available to government who have an accountability process. Right now the rspca have their cake and are eating it too. No organisation should be able to police an industry in which they have financial stakes. The AWL so far have a good record of rehoming so let's hope this is cleared up somehow and they get back into the facility in Ipswich and keep doing a good job.

Who else could have investigated the complaints if not the RSPCA though? What were the options really - given that "official" complaints were made about animal welfare?

The police or the relevant government agency.

I don't know the QLD legislation, but in Victoria the police and DSE inspectors as well as the RSPCA have powers to investigate allegations of animal cruelty. Each State RSPCA is an individual body so you'd need tore review the QLD legislation for QLD RSPCA's legislated role.

But I do absolutely agree that all of the RSPCAs are taunted by acting as a policing agency for the industry in which they work. Particularly, ad in the case of the Victorian and NSW bodies who receive payment from the same industries which they might be called upon to investigate.

• 1 month later...

I hope they are able to get themselves back up and running without too much problem again. I am thinking some staff may have found jobs elsewhere? Not everyone can afford to sit and wait for an outcome on workplace issues.

Good outcome for the AWL at Ipswich. Sad for the animals they weren't able to assist while they were suspended.