Dog Scared (?) Of Going Outside During The Day.

Mojopoodle

Ideas please....

Several months ago I rehomed a young adult Toy Poodle to a lovely couple who live locally.

They have a fully enclosed backyard, with a doggie door, so she has access to the yard 24/7.

The poodle lived in and out of my house and used the doggie door when she needed to go to the toilet. Both my property and theirs are rural properties with no neighbours so it can't be a neighbour teasing the dog type of problem.

Lately the poodle has refused to go out to urinate during the day, however she will use the doggy door to go out and toilet at night.

I have suggested to them that for some reason she has become scared of the backyard and it may help to take her out on the lead and walk her around, and play with her out there. Also to start feeding her outside. I asked them to make the backyard and their time out there a 'happy place'.

I wonder if anyone here could give me advice that I could pass on to help them with this problem. They love the little poodle very much but of course don't like her weeing in the house.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mojopoodle

Definetely what you recommended - but also maybe if they can spend a day at home and see what goes on the in the backyard. Are there wandering animals who could come into the property? Anything outside like local small planes or helicopters that could frighten her? If she's fine outside at night, then it sounds like something might be going on out there during the day that has made her a bit wary of going out there, so finding out what it is could also be helpful in addressing the issue.

I don't know what rural backyards face, I'm a city girl - but it sounds like something has scared this poor little thing!

Edited by minimax

My xxxl dogs are scared of stray cats and will not go down to pee. I gave to take/force them on lead

A queen raised kittens there last year and they learnd the meaning of R E S P E C T!

Too many questions to give any form of diagnosis other than if she goes out at night it may not be a fear thing. Is anyone home during the day and do they take her out to toilet? Does she only go out to toilet an night if someone goes with her?

I'm thinking consequence of action - noone home during day to correct and home at night so she does the right thing.

Just my train of thought - hope it helps

Could be something like a snake or lizard around the place too that they are not aware of.

Not likely to be rats as they come out at night & dawn & dusk.

They need to go out with her many times during the day & watch what is going on.

My old boy does a funny pitched bark if anything is around in or out of the house. One day he was doing it in the back room which had a doggy door at that time.

Took me ages to realise he was going nuts because there was a huge huntsman spider high up on the wall.

What Christina said :)

She may have also been frightened by a plane overhead....depending where they live! Nosiy miners make a hell of a racket if they think a dog is coming into "their territory", swooping birds. A truck could of backfired while she was toileting and scared her. A neighbour may have been loud or yelled at the dog

Dogs can form lots of weird association. Sounds like she feels "safer" toileting in the dark.

I would be crate training & supervising toilet time. :)

What Christina said :)

She may have also been frightened by a plane overhead....depending where they live! Nosiy miners make a hell of a racket if they think a dog is coming into "their territory", swooping birds. A truck could of backfired while she was toileting and scared her. A neighbour may have been loud or yelled at the dog

Dogs can form lots of weird association. Sounds like she feels "safer" toileting in the dark.

I would be crate training & supervising toilet time. :)

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will give them a call and pass on the suggestions I receive.

She may be able to hear something that is not audible to a human ear. One of my dogs is frightened to go outside when the kids swimming carnival is on...... the pool is over a kilometre away but the starter uses a pistol to start the races. My dog is storm phobic & frightened of noises such as loud bangs, gunfire & the cracking of a stock whip.