Puppy Peeing And Pooping Everywhere :(

merikuri

I remember when I got my first puppy, a golden, oh boy was it a shock to the system. I was 18! Lots of good information here already re toilet training. Goldens can be destructive, they are very mouth orientated as they are a retriever, bred to retrieve so are a bit mouth obsessed. She will eat leaves. All my dogs have done that, both the goldens and the wei's, more so the goldens. Just watch the sticks and stuff that will probably come next. She needs to keep her mind active, lots of toys, lots of games, they aren't a breed to put in a crate and forget about.... no breeds are. You have a baby, babies are hard work. Keep her mind active, start training her now, just a few mins at a time, things like sit and down, she will pick it up very quickly. Any pics of the little girl :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you download the books that Ridgey Mal posted for you??

You really do have to read as much as you can about this subject, preferably before you get your pup so you are prepared.

Both you and the pup are currently having your routines changed, you will eventually get used to the pup being there overnight and the pup will settle down.

I think it is safe to say that all pups would prefer to be unrestrained ie not be in a crate or playpen but this is not the way to train them as you do have to leave the pup alone at some point. As long as you are consistant, fair and kind the pup will get used to being in a playpen/crate but you also have to have fun playtimes that it can exercise and interact with you.

Do some internet searches on crate training,etc. You will be amazed what you will find!

I know someone who couldn't put up with pup screaming so went to breeder and got litter mate. (I would not recommend this) it worked out ok for them but I think it's extreme!

How old is pup? Breed?

She is an 8 weeks old golden retriever!

I know it's normal for them to cry in the crate but what I'm worried is that she will wake the neighbors up loll

OK...

is your backyard puppy proof, with good fences?

No reason she cannot be in the backyard . for some time when you're busy, .playing with toys, sleeping in a cosy kennel/basket ....exploring...chewing leaves and grass ...

Puppies learn much about their world by using theor mouth- as they have no sensitive fingers ;like human babies :)

SO.... puppy proofing your home is a very important project !

pretend you have a 12/18 mth old human baby in the house . The potential for injury/damage is high!

make sure all electrical wiring is out of reach ..don't leave shoes etc lying around , NO rat poison /chemicals/cleaners anywhere she can get to .....put bins up high or behind a gate ...that sort of thing.

I always like to START as you mean to GO ON.

teach pup that 'alone time can be fun ..and no, you are NOT going to nurse it much on your lap as when it weighs 30 kg it will be TOO big: NO you are NOT going to be there to amuse it all the time ...instead , a VERY LARGE bone with meat on ...or a rope toy , or a sandpit will do nicely :)

Finally ..remember it is a BABY ,,and it needs to BE TAUGHT ....not just either expected to know, or be physically locked out, etc all the time :) Pup needs to be SHOWN which are the things which get it a reward .... and which not :)

I remember when I got my first puppy, a golden, oh boy was it a shock to the system. I was 18! Lots of good information here already re toilet training. Goldens can be destructive, they are very mouth orientated as they are a retriever, bred to retrieve so are a bit mouth obsessed. She will eat leaves. All my dogs have done that, both the goldens and the wei's, more so the goldens. Just watch the sticks and stuff that will probably come next. She needs to keep her mind active, lots of toys, lots of games, they aren't a breed to put in a crate and forget about.... no breeds are. You have a baby, babies are hard work. Keep her mind active, start training her now, just a few mins at a time, things like sit and down, she will pick it up very quickly. Any pics of the little girl :D

Thanks Goldenwei for ur advice! My pup doesn't seem to be attracted with her toys though. She has a ropes for her to bite, squeaky toy and a cuddle toy but so far she isn't showing much interest except towards the leaves! Can it be some stress that caused this?

Here is a pic of her sleeping in her crate as of now. I carried her into it and made her lie in her side while gently patting her and she fell asleep! Right after I locked the door she woke up, looked at my face of terror and decided to fall asleep again phew!!

Does puppy sleep a lot? We want out to the backyard for some zoomies and chasing for 15-30 minutes and she was already yawning when we came in!

:) as well as your post grad work - I suggest you read up on what makes a puppy tick!!

Did you do any research before getting your little girl?

I find it seems to make things run smoother - a bit like being faced with a Uni test paper, and suddenly realising you have forgotten the recommended reading list ! ;)

here's some more IMPORTANT reading for you - you are now totally resposible for a living being , whose welfare is in your hand :)

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-should-I-do-when-I-bring-home-a-new-puppy_18.html

http://www.training-your-dog-and-you.com/puppy-development.html

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-to-expect-from-your-8-week-old-puppy/page1.aspx

OK...

is your backyard puppy proof, with good fences?

No reason she cannot be in the backyard . for some time when you're busy, .playing with toys, sleeping in a cosy kennel/basket ....exploring...chewing leaves and grass ...

Puppies learn much about their world by using theor mouth- as they have no sensitive fingers ;like human babies :)

SO.... puppy proofing your home is a very important project !

pretend you have a 12/18 mth old human baby in the house . The potential for injury/damage is high!

make sure all electrical wiring is out of reach ..don't leave shoes etc lying around , NO rat poison /chemicals/cleaners anywhere she can get to .....put bins up high or behind a gate ...that sort of thing.

I always like to START as you mean to GO ON.

teach pup that 'alone time can be fun ..and no, you are NOT going to nurse it much on your lap as when it weighs 30 kg it will be TOO big: NO you are NOT going to be there to amuse it all the time ...instead , a VERY LARGE bone with meat on ...or a rope toy , or a sandpit will do nicely :)

Finally ..remember it is a BABY ,,and it needs to BE TAUGHT ....not just either expected to know, or be physically locked out, etc all the time :) Pup needs to be SHOWN which are the things which get it a reward .... and which not :)

Yup my backyard is puppy proof with secure fence. Only way to get out is thru the living room.

I tried to leave her outside for a while just now and she cried again >< should I just ignore her longer?

One thing I noticed is that she is really tired and uninterested with her toys or treats. I tried to play with her with a rope toy and she just chew for a while and decided to nap again.. Is it normal for an 8 week old puppy like this?

Yes it is very normal for them to sleep a lot. Do not try to force her to run or play for more than a few minutes at a time (like 2 or 3 minutes)

Also remember to take her out to toilet when she wakes up :)

Edited by BlackJaq

:) as well as your post grad work - I suggest you read up on what makes a puppy tick!!

Did you do any research before getting your little girl?

I find it seems to make things run smoother - a bit like being faced with a Uni test paper, and suddenly realising you have forgotten the recommended reading list ! ;)

here's some more IMPORTANT reading for you - you are now totally resposible for a living being , whose welfare is in your hand :)

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-should-I-do-when-I-bring-home-a-new-puppy_18.html

http://www.training-your-dog-and-you.com/puppy-development.html

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-to-expect-from-your-8-week-old-puppy/page1.aspx

I did my research before getting her but I didn't realize it will be this hard! :cry: I guess it's mainly because I'm

raising her up on my own.. thanks for the link! Will take time to read them!

My advice is don't expect miracles & stop stressing.

You are not doing anything wrong.

The pup is in a strange place, has had to travel from somewhere or other, left her mum & litter mates & doesn't know you, the environment or where she is. Drastic stuff for a baby.

Have patience, a pup doesn't house train in a day or even a week.

People use all different kinds of ways to house train pups & they work. Main point is that pup understands what you want it to do & is capable of doing it. Takes time.

Yeah I agree ! :)

Miah is now just over 4 months, she knows to go outside to do her wee's and poos, and does, but shes still having the odd accident inside. They are still young and learning. You just got to keep at it with them and reward them when they do the right thing. Some learn quicker than others, but its just patience and consistency :)

All the best with your new puppy :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

My advice is don't expect miracles & stop stressing.

You are not doing anything wrong.

The pup is in a strange place, has had to travel from somewhere or other, left her mum & litter mates & doesn't know you, the environment or where she is. Drastic stuff for a baby.

Have patience, a pup doesn't house train in a day or even a week.

People use all different kinds of ways to house train pups & they work. Main point is that pup understands what you want it to do & is capable of doing it. Takes time.

Yeah I agree ! :)

Miah is now just over 4 months, she knows to go outside to do her wee's and poos, and does, but shes still having the odd accident inside. They are still young and learning. You just got to keep at it with them and reward them when they do the right thing. Some learn quicker than others, but its just patience and consistency :)

All the best with your new puppy :)

Hi Jules, after yesterday my puppy hasn't had any accident inside the house. I tried to take her out everytime she wake up from her short nap.

Have you ever left your puppy home for longer than 3 hours? How do you keep her if you are going out? From next few months I have some seminars to attend and it's 3 hours long. It takes about 40min for me to drive there and get home so the pup would be alone for quite some time.. I'm thinking if I can leave her in her cage that long and not having accident. Before I leave I'll make sure she pees and poops and no drink or food before I leave! It's a bit cruel to leave her alone in the cage for almost 4 hours but I just can't find someone to look after her during the day ><

Hi merikuri :)

Im am fortunate in some ways ( but not in others) that I am able to be home most of the time. I have not had to leave her longer at home for more than a hour, if that, so I can keep putting her out often, altho she still catches me out inbetween me doing that embarrass.gif

Im not sure what to suggest, since i'm not in your situation. I know there have been many threads on dol about people with puppies and having to leave them home for longer periods of time..

I personally only crate our dogs for short periods of times.

Don't leave her in the crate for that long. Depending on your yard if it is really puppy proof and theft proof I'd be inclined to leave her in the yard with some toys and things to keep her occupied etc. Depends where you live though I guess. Otherwise a laundry that is tiled and EVERYTHING out of reach may be a safer option. She SHOULD be able to hold for 5 hours in a couple of weeks. 20 years ago when I got my first golden she'd be left alone in the yard for that long, when I got my second he was left alone with my first from 8 weeks in the yard for more than 8 hours. Looking back on it I probably should of been more careful, but no harm ever came to him. We did things differently with our third.... which was only 6 years ago. We stayed home full time for about 4 weeks between us, made sure he spent time both inside and out with our older dog, he was left alone with him outside after that. Puppies adjust, and if its safe to do so then I don't have an issue with puppy being outside alone for that length of time.... if its not safe then you will need to come up with another arrangement. JMO

It IS hard work , raising a puppy :)

BUT relax your expectations - she is a baby , and will do baby things until she is more experienced ...

She possibly has no idea what to do with toys ....and her concentration span will be a few seconds!!!By all means leave her outside ... make sure she has a meal to eat ..a BIG RAW bone - almost her size ..sh she cannot try & swallow it whole ..and her bedding, plus an item of clothing you have been wearing.

When you leave ...it is much better for you both if you do NOT fuss..or say 'mummy will be back soon - give me an extra cuddle ' :o Just have everything outside ready well before you go ... take her out - give her a bikkie or her meal ..and , dont look back - just out the door and go .

Same when you get home ..no excitement or anything ...just walk without speaking striaght outside and get her to toilet ..THEN praise, and hello, and walk inside....

This helps teach babies that humans leaving and returning is just an everday thing ..like walking from one room to another :)

Don't leave her in the crate for that long. Depending on your yard if it is really puppy proof and theft proof I'd be inclined to leave her in the yard with some toys and things to keep her occupied etc. Depends where you live though I guess. Otherwise a laundry that is tiled and EVERYTHING out of reach may be a safer option. She SHOULD be able to hold for 5 hours in a couple of weeks. 20 years ago when I got my first golden she'd be left alone in the yard for that long, when I got my second he was left alone with my first from 8 weeks in the yard for more than 8 hours. Looking back on it I probably should of been more careful, but no harm ever came to him. We did things differently with our third.... which was only 6 years ago. We stayed home full time for about 4 weeks between us, made sure he spent time both inside and out with our older dog, he was left alone with him outside after that. Puppies adjust, and if its safe to do so then I don't have an issue with puppy being outside alone for that length of time.... if its not safe then you will need to come up with another arrangement. JMO

We just got back from the first vet visit and my vet suggested laundry as well! Even though my backyard is really secure there is no way i could leave her outside as there is no shade. :( my laundry is a bit small though. With no windows so I probably have to get a baby gate and kept her in there when I am out.

It IS hard work , raising a puppy :) BUT relax your expectations - she is a baby , and will do baby things until she is more experienced ...She possibly has no idea what to do with toys ....and her concentration span will be a few seconds!!!By all means leave her outside ... make sure she has a meal to eat ..a BIG RAW bone - almost her size ..sh she cannot try & swallow it whole ..and her bedding, plus an item of clothing you have been wearing.When you leave ...it is much better for you both if you do NOT fuss..or say 'mummy will be back soon - give me an extra cuddle ' :o Just have everything outside ready well before you go ... take her out - give her a bikkie or her meal ..and , dont look back - just out the door and go .Same when you get home ..no excitement or anything ...just walk without speaking striaght outside and get her to toilet ..THEN praise, and hello, and walk inside....This helps teach babies that humans leaving and returning is just an everday thing ..like walking from one room to another :)

Thanks Persephone! Will keep that in mind!

One thing my vet suggested is to leave her bed, toys inside the laundry with some newspaper next to it.she said this way I don't have to wake up every 2 hours at night and my pup should learn where to go for toilet at night. Do you guys think this works? I'm having very little of sleep since I'm constantly listening to any sound from my pup. But I am worried that she might get confused with her toileting area since during the day I take her out to toilet.

Did you do any research before you bought this dog?

What exactly do you intend to do with her when she is fully grown ,if you have no shade now?

This may sound harsh, but really ,she is not a hamster to spend all her time in a cage, she needs to be outside, playing eating grass, exploring and enjoying herself.

She is a puppy, she cannot hold on that long in a crate to wee at this age.

There are 3 pages of advice here, read it, get her a kennel for outside and let her start being a dog, or get a stuffed one instead.. :(

Is the bathroom larger than the laundry (as a safe place when you are out)? Definitely don't crate her for long periods, but have the crate there for her if she want to use it. Toss an old t-shirt or trackies, that you haven't washed, into the crate. Your scent will comfort her.

When my dog was young I tied one of those ribbed cylindrical Kongs to a table leg with elastic. I demonstrated for her and she took to the game! Tugging the toy, releasing and chasing as it zipped across the floor. But only have this when you are home to supervise.

It might be a good idea to let the neighbours know that you have a new pup and not to be concerned if they hear her while she's settling in.

Through the night there I would get up personally, try every 4 hours at first.... try letting her out at say 10:30pm, getting up at 2:30am, and then 6:30am. Puppies don't sleep much longer than 6:30am anyway.

If you want to leave paper in the laundry, I'd think about getting some fake grass from bunnings, think someone else may of suggested that.... she may chew it though. Can you put up a shade sail so she has shade outside? You will probably need to do something eventually unless you stick in a doggy door.

I would get some shelter put up in the yard so you can leave her outside. It's not that difficult.

I have a puppy run I recently put shade in as I am getting a puppy in a month - a big tarp attached to the house on one end and the fence on the other end. I have a verandah and lots of trees in the main yard for the adult dogs. Both main yard and puppy yard have a kennel and trampoline bed for each dog.