National Bi-weekly Companion Animals News Paper

moosmum

Reading the companion animal paper soon be be before parliament and it drives home how splintered various interest groups are.

Some of the comments from contributers in the appendix drives home how ill informed many are about the subjects.

While the goals are admirable,the solutions proposed are costly,unwieldy,and do nothing to ensure compliance.Rather,it seems to me,there will less compliance. Those who do the right things will be paying much more to clean up after a growing problem.

Most agree that education is key to any improvement,but delivery a problem.The majority of those who just keep a pet or 2 have no way to keep informed of resources available or whats realy happening out side their sphere of interest.

If there were an unaffiliated National,Bi- weekly news paper along the lines of the Telegraph,with news,entertainment,sports,classifieds,help pages (behaviour,training,medical,consumer) and articles,letters and room for debate from contributers,would you subscribe?

Edited by moosmum

Yes - particularly if it can focus on companion animal issues for both discussion and debate but not if it is too much of a companion animal tabloid. Needs to be really well written and informed IMO. 'Page 2' doggies wouldn't be required!

Yes - particularly if it can focus on companion animal issues for both discussion and debate but not if it is too much of a companion animal tabloid. Needs to be really well written and informed IMO. 'Page 2' doggies wouldn't be required!

Agreed!

I'm suprised there would be so few takers. I thought it would be a great way to possibly create a better sense of community in dog/cat lovers, to promote and educate social exceptance and common values.An advertising and promotional tool for responsible breeders,shelters,vets ,rescue etc. A place to show the average owner what resources they have and community expectations. :confused:

Obviously not!

Edited by moosmum

I rarely buy newspapers of any sort, it is not how I get information these days. This one would not be any different for me tbh.

In saying'newspaper' I assumed it would be either online only or both print and online. But I think online only is probably the way to go. smile.gif

No because the content of it is still limited to the views of particular participating parties & the editor.

What if one was the infamous, hated gardener who thinks he is a dog expert & has convinced the media ? As an example of who may get involved.

A well known cat food brand site has a section on how to let your cat outside safely :confused: Put a collar on it, have it microchipped, put a bell on the collar to protect the wildlife, keep it in at night. So goes the advice.

I did contact them & point out that cats can get run over at any hour, can get attacked by dogs, poisoned & annoy the hell out of & be at risk of harm from cat hating neighbours & better advice is to keep indoors only with access to a safe outdoor run but there was no response.

Common values & views can often be very dramatic & incorrect according to which media source has influenced people. Not sure how or even if this can be fixed.

No because the content of it is still limited to the views of particular participating parties & the editor.

What if one was the infamous, hated gardener who thinks he is a dog expert & has convinced the media ? As an example of who may get involved.

A well known cat food brand site has a section on how to let your cat outside safely :confused: Put a collar on it, have it microchipped, put a bell on the collar to protect the wildlife, keep it in at night. So goes the advice.

I did contact them & point out that cats can get run over at any hour, can get attacked by dogs, poisoned & annoy the hell out of & be at risk of harm from cat hating neighbours & better advice is to keep indoors only with access to a safe outdoor run but there was no response.

Common values & views can often be very dramatic & incorrect according to which media source has influenced people. Not sure how or even if this can be fixed.

Christina I see your point but how is this any different to existing websites/news outlets??confused.gif

What are you judging interest on? A post on here over a busy easter long weekend?

It could be a wonderful thing depending on how impartial those at the top are.

I was judging interest by how many views had been recorded....if you've had over 100 views on DOL and only 1 taker? You can expect a lot less in general population.

I think impartiality would be essential.

Edited by moosmum

Christina I see your point but how is this any different to existing websites/news outlets??confused.gif

I see your point too,but at some stage,its up to pedigree breeders to stand up and refute or at least debate these issues in the public eye. You can focus on results as current legislation does and never change,or focus on change to get results.

On line would be best,but I think a printed version would get more attention in the beginning.

Edited by moosmum

I see your point too,but at some stage,its up to pedigree breeders to stand up and refute or at least debate these issues in the public eye. You can focus on results as current legislation does and never change,or focus on change to get results.

On line would be best,but I think a printed version would get more attention in the beginning.

Yes Moosmum that was the thinking behind my comments too - just not completely sure about print - it seems to be a dying medium. Might be better to consider cross medium advertising (billboards, existing broadsheets etc) of a really good website? One which somehow becomes the national authority on all things companion animal - the 'go to' site - and run subscriptions that way. The successful model seems to be an abbreviated free subscription and a detailed members subscription with benefits? Have a look at 'InDaily' an online Adelaide independent newspaper which started with a print version but its folded and the online version seems to eb going from strength to strength. Maybe look at sponsorship? smile.gif

I think I'd listen to a pet focussed podcast. And skip the stuff about cats and budgies.

But I'm not sure if people who don't look for the information would be helped.

For example - the rules about dogs on lead on the footpath - is printed on our dog registration renewal forms, along with some of the other dog rules - I think I might be the only person in the state who has read it.

Our council newsletter and our residents association newsletter always include stuff about parking rules - a significant number of residents have no idea they can't park on verges or leave less than 3m gaps to the car on the other side of the road.

council newsletter also contains stuff about rubbish collection and recycling - and yet I still see TVs on the curbs when we have places that recycle for free, and failing that - council will pick it up if you tell them. And I still see plastic bags sticking out of over stuffed recycling bins. ARRGGHH.

So we could have a newsletter but I suspect we'd be preaching to the choir (an Easter link).

I'd read it but my neighbours who don't know about the 2m leash rule - wouldn't.

I'm a techno clutz...Wouldn't have the time or or expertise So not thinking of doing this myself,more looking at ways to get industry interests together and engaging the public. If there were over whelming support,a blue print could be worked out and taken to a sponsor with a sales pitch and possibly some Govt. support (it would certainly be in their interest,and they could maybe get free space)

If it were THE go-to medium for those looking for a new dog,or behaviourist,supplier etc.I wouldn't see opposing views a huge problem if theres always room and incentive for discussion.

The controversy alone could make for interesting reading.There are So many topics to be discussed.The main benefit I believe would be in getting people to think about the issues and better understand them from differing view points.

I thought it could help to initiate the change in attitudes to pets that the Govt. is trying to achieve with legislation and encourage a more uniform and informed approach where it is needed.

I'd find cats,budgies and gold fish Very boring too. Maybe stick with dog for this discussion :laugh: Can I change the title? How ? Techno. clutz.

Edited by moosmum

Where would the funding come from? As soon as you bring in commercial interests you just end up with dribble where the commercial interest drives the content & view point.

I thought it could help to initiate the change in attitudes to pets that the Govt. is trying to achieve with legislation and encourage a more uniform and informed approach where it is needed

And we all know how successful legislating behaviour change is!!! (insert rolly eye here).

So yes I certainly can see the value of it. IMO to be done properly it would need sponsorship and that in itself would need to be carefully managed - but it is possible (cf Petrescue - in fact a chat with Michelle Williamson wcould be valuable).

I'm a techno clutz as well and don't have much interest from a technical level - but the business models around I do get.

In fact off the top of my head (don't ban me Troy!!) - is this something that could start easily and sustainably as an offshoot of DOL, under the DOL banner or under a different banner? Start as a small online newspaper, using the multitude of talented people on DOL for initial content with a band of online editors? Then as it grows looking for outside sponsorship if required - similar to the way Petrescue, after some dicey early days, became sustainable?

I suppose I'm wary that if you start too big and complicated it will be too difficult to get off the ground. Yet if you start simple and small but high quality using existing infrastructure then you have more hope of it being sustainable into the future. It could potentially benefit DOL as well I think through advertiser attraction and increased profile. Could cross benefit other allied online sites as well such as Petrescue (with their blessing of course!). Vets could also be interested as well as a centralised point of information and information dissemination at a non-professional/general public level (bad words but you know what I mean) - which I don't think they have at the moment.

Anyway, just some thoughts off the top of my head. smile.gif

I thought it could help to initiate the change in attitudes to pets that the Govt. is trying to achieve with legislation and encourage a more uniform and informed approach where it is needed

And we all know how successful legislating behaviour change is!!! (insert rolly eye here).

So yes I certainly can see the value of it. IMO to be done properly it would need sponsorship and that in itself would need to be carefully managed - but it is possible (cf Petrescue - in fact a chat with Michelle Williamson wcould be valuable).

I'm a techno clutz as well and don't have much interest from a technical level - but the business models around I do get.

In fact off the top of my head (don't ban me Troy!!) - is this something that could start easily and sustainably as an offshoot of DOL, under the DOL banner or under a different banner? Start as a small online newspaper, using the multitude of talented people on DOL for initial content with a band of online editors? Then as it grows looking for outside sponsorship if required - similar to the way Petrescue, after some dicey early days, became sustainable?

I suppose I'm wary that if you start too big and complicated it will be too difficult to get off the ground. Yet if you start simple and small but high quality using existing infrastructure then you have more hope of it being sustainable into the future. It could potentially benefit DOL as well I think through advertiser attraction and increased profile. Could cross benefit other allied online sites as well such as Petrescue (with their blessing of course!). Vets could also be interested as well as a centralised point of information and information dissemination at a non-professional/general public level (bad words but you know what I mean) - which I don't think they have at the moment.

Anyway, just some thoughts off the top of my head. smile.gif

Thanks Westiemum :)

Yes,my thoughts too. A draft experimental model and invite contributions to show fair and unbiased intent.Then I would hope the Govt. could be pressured to support a trial with a well written open letter "to the editor"

If the goal were (reasonably priced) paid subscriptions with intelligently written articles why couldn't any eventual profits be used to finance their welfare measures and actively assist in their community education proposals.

I'm sick of nanny legislation that wont change anything to avoid the next problems that crop up.

I.M.H.O We need a wholistic approach now rather than later.

Legislation stifles change and fluidity to adapt so its an endless cycle and no one actualy learns from it.

Responsible people pay more to have their own decisions and judgements handicapped while the problems increase.

We are choking on legislation to appease the fact that people are more concerned than ever before. It all looks bass akwords to me :confused:

Outright Adverts could be restricted to a business directory to keep it clean and uncluttered.

Oh I like to dream :laugh:

If it was online or via email yes, probably not if it was hard copy though. Education is a powerful thing, especially for first time pet owners. I love learning especially if it can benefit my dogs or make me a better owner. Health articles would be of particular interest to me.