Fish Heads: How To Make Them More Appealing

Charlie loves salmon heads (although I haven't given him one in years). Delta on the other hand just stares back at them :laugh: I did remove the eyes once and she was much happier to eat it (she loves tinned salmon so surely the taste isn't that different). Still not as eagerly as other meals, but it saved it being wasted. Not that I enjoyed removing its eyes though :(

The only food Stevie has ever refused (and Jodie wouldn't even look at) was whole raw fish. Tinned only here - though the deboned remains of our baked flathead on Friday were acceptable. They didn't get much though. Must look out for salmon heads and try them, maybe they'll be less slippery in the bowl.

As a footnote to this topic, my holistic vet told me that white fish should always be fed cooked, but oily fish are OK raw.

Why is that?

The logic I've heard behind not feeding raw fish is the bacteria and parasites it can contain. However, I'm not sure if this is in the same context as not feeding raw chicken due to salmonella, or if it's actually true. Freezing fish kills anything lurking in it anyway, so if you're feeding fish that's been frozen it's safe.

But my question related to the post that suggested white fish should be cooked, and oily fish didn't need to be.

What is the rational behind the advice to treat them differently?

As a footnote to this topic, my holistic vet told me that white fish should always be fed cooked, but oily fish are OK raw.

Why is that?

The logic I've heard behind not feeding raw fish is the bacteria and parasites it can contain. However, I'm not sure if this is in the same context as not feeding raw chicken due to salmonella, or if it's actually true. Freezing fish kills anything lurking in it anyway, so if you're feeding fish that's been frozen it's safe.

But my question related to the post that suggested white fish should be cooked, and oily fish didn't need to be.

What is the rational behind the advice to treat them differently?

From memory, Diva, some kinds of white fish have an enzyme that breaks down vitamin B2. This enzyme is destroyed by cooking. At the time of the consultation the vet did not have access to a list of fish which contain this enzyme, so she advised it was safer to feed white fish cooked & to continue giving salmon heads raw. The conversation arose as we were trying to tweak a diet of a dog with mandibular osteosarcoma, he was always fed raw but we wanted to add more cooling foods to the diet. I used to buy flake for him from the Belconnen markets as it was cheap & filling - he loved it, & got to wait for the beep of the microwave because he knew that meant his dinner was ready :)

I'm glad to know that my dog isn't 'too' special then...... Well at least not in the fish head department! Normally I would have given it to one of my other dogs, who im sure would happily chow down on it! or if THAT idea fails palm it off to the cats :D but I'm Housesitting at the moment and there was nooo way I was carting a slightly mauled, getting ripe fish head in my car for 50km! :laugh: