Fish Heads: How To Make Them More Appealing

I thought I would be really nice and get my Kelpie a lovely treat, a big ole salmon head.

Unfortunately he is a pansy and is just standing over it going WTF?!?! What do I do with this THING?

So now I have a big salmon head sitting in the yard with a Kelpie who has NO idea what to do...... Sigh

Can I do anything to encourage him to eat it? Or is it destined for the bin?

Thanks, I'll try cutting it up, I had hoped that he would get hungry and eat it....... Sigh I've just been and checked it and it is slightly mauled, more like he has been playing with it.

LOL Tdierikx! Reggie is a bit of a princess, he loves to roll.... But only in/ on grass. He throws himself on the ground and shimmys and 'swims'. he really is the biggest goofball.

I have never had to bath him because he was smelly. :confused: no stinkies for my little pansy!

I think he is broken! So much for being a farm dog!

Our Kelpie refuses to eat salmon fish heads & spine bones, in fact he hates anything slimy including liver. The Belgian on the other hand is a guts & will eat anything. Likewise our old GSDx who really enjoyed his salmon heads!

I bought one once & was told to remove it's teeth as they are very hard & sharp & may do the dog an injury. It sat in the freezer for a year, then I got it out & made fish broth with it, strained & added the liquid to their meals. They loved it. My dogs will eat small fish providing I remove all sharp bits first.

I gave in on fresh raw fish and decided tinned was cheaper, easier and more successful. Only had 1 dog that would ever actually eat raw fish and even then he would give me pathetic looks as though I was trying to kill him or something. LOL

Roll it in some puff pastry. Bake in the oven. Put it on a plate, pick up a knife & fork & sit at the table as though you are about to eat it.

Your dog will go crazy for it then :laugh:

Easier to chuck it in the bin.

lol I was going to suggest pretend to eat it yourself at the table. Always a surefire way to make them interested :rofl:

Well the fish head was a bust :( it is now in the bin. He was 'interested' in it if I told him to get it etc. but otherwise he was still like WTF?! This isn't food.

I tried chopping it up, pretending that I was eating a piece; he would happily take a piece then his expression would change to 'eewwwww! Icky! his eyes screwed up and he stuck his tongue out........ Then the guilt face comes out, the whole 'I trusted you! And you gave me something icky!"

Sigh, back to tinned/ cooked fish for my princess! :cry: :laugh:

As a footnote to this topic, my holistic vet told me that white fish should always be fed cooked, but oily fish are OK raw.

Why is that?

The logic I've heard behind not feeding raw fish is the bacteria and parasites it can contain. However, I'm not sure if this is in the same context as not feeding raw chicken due to salmonella, or if it's actually true. Freezing fish kills anything lurking in it anyway, so if you're feeding fish that's been frozen it's safe.