Feeding Staffords Sardines

So I was walking Milly the other day down at Cronulla and we came past another beautiful Stafford called Ivy and her coat was absolutely incredibly smooth and silky. She was 1 month older than Milly who is now 4 and a half months old. We asked the owner how she gets her coat so silky. She answered with a smile and said "we feed Ivy Sardines two to three times a week with her regular kibble and an egg once a week".

My question to y'all is whether anyone has heard this before and whether it is okay.

Many thanks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not stafford specific, but my pugs get sardines. And I know a lot of dogs that get sardines in oil as it's great for their skin and coat (and they LOVE coming and giving stinky sardine kisses afterwards too) :laugh:

My old Lab had a tin of sardines every single day for dinner. That was on the vet's advice. He lived to 14 and always had a wonderful, glossy black coat.

We reckon that he ate over 5000 tins of sardines over his life. And, yes, gave just as many sardine kisses.... :)

Because the pei I fostered ate sardines with their kibble (good oil for their coat/skin) I started our others on it as well, including our pied SBT. They LOVE them! I only buy the no name brand but only in oil - not the tomato one. Also at Woolies you can buy tinned mackerel in oil and that is also great for their skin and coat. Also no name brand and it works out far more economical (esp if you have multiple dogs). The other thing all our dogs get is greek yoghurt on their brekkie kibble. Not sure of the benefit (probably good for the gut) but it also started with the foster dogs and everyone goes crazy for a dollop on their kibble now! Everyone here has beautiful skin and coats and clean eyes and ears!

Also, just thought I'd add that we used both the sardines in oil and the ones in tomato sauce :) Black and gold (or whatever the cheap brand is).

It is the oil type that is good for their coats. The tomato flavour tastes nice but doesn't give the same benefits. I'd stick to the basics - the dogs love them regardless!

Also, just thought I'd add that we used both the sardines in oil and the ones in tomato sauce :) Black and gold (or whatever the cheap brand is).

It is the oil type that is good for their coats. The tomato flavour tastes nice but doesn't give the same benefits. I'd stick to the basics - the dogs love them regardless!

I think that the type of oil in the actual sardines is the main thing, otherwise you could just add vegetable oil to their food for a cheaper way of achieving the same outcome (maybe that'd work as well - I don't know). We do always aim for the ones in oil, though, but sometimes Coles runs out of those so we get the tomato ones :)

I feed mine fresh/frozen sardines or pilchards. I get it from a fish monger. It works out way cheaper than feeding tin sardines considering I have large breed. In summer, they love it frozen.....just like a fish-sicle............lol. In winter, I just let it thaw out a bit before giving it to them.

I've also given them salmon heads which are not expensive. Most fish places have them as humans are more interested in the salmon cutlets.

Just in re to feeding sardines or any other tinned fish, is there a difference with giving the home brands compared with getting the mores exxy brands? eg John West. Im always worried if they are from China or places like that whats in them. or if they are clean enough ?confused.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Just in re to feeding sardines or any other tinned fish, is there a difference with getting the home brands compared getting the mores exxy brands? eg John West. Im always worried if they are from China or places like that whats in them. or if they are clean enough ?confused.gif

I don't buy anything like that from china or asian countries, I buy the Brunswick sardines from Canada.

My two greyhounds get sardines once a week, they love them and both have beautiful shiny coats. I buy the ones from Aldi, the ones in oil and tomato sauce and they get a tin of each flavour mixed together with kibble.

I feed canned tuna, sardines and mackeral to Grumpy. Had to drop the mackeral because of his tummy problems. He couldn't have oil. He preferred sardines over tuna but in the end I had to mainly feed tuna due to the poor labelling of the Woolies sardines. I often got sardines in oil that were labelled springwater.

I just feed plain fish oil. Personally I don't feed canned stuff, but would feed fresh sardines if I got them for a ridiculously good price, but wouldn't go out of my way in getting them... Fish isn't exactly necessary, fish oil will do the trick and is a lot more cost efficient and very simple to feed. If you do want to feed fish, don't overdo it. Once a week is plenty IMO.

I just feed plain fish oil. Personally I don't feed canned stuff, but would feed fresh sardines if I got them for a ridiculously good price, but wouldn't go out of my way in getting them... Fish isn't exactly necessary, fish oil will do the trick and is a lot more cost efficient and very simple to feed. If you do want to feed fish, don't overdo it. Once a week is plenty IMO.

I don't feed out of necessity or simplicity - I feed it because my dog loves it and gets enjoyment out of it.

You mean, for your dog.

I don't buy anything like that from china or asian countries, I buy the Brunswick sardines from Canada.

I bought these exact ones today and I have never seen such a reaction in our dog over food thus far! Unreal response to the sardines and she was soooo stoked that it wasn't just dry boring Royal Canine. Thanks to everyone who posted.