Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Grooming Requirement

Reese&Mia

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you had a look at THIS THREAD for grooming requirements ? cavs need some attention to ear cleanliness ...

They certainly are more in need of daily checking/removing matts /keeping feet clean , than a short coat breed ....

Have you had a look at THIS THREAD for grooming requirements ? cavs need some attention to ear cleanliness ...

They certainly are more in need of daily checking/removing matts /keeping feet clean , than a short coat breed ....

Yes I read that too, but being that Im wanting it inside it should be fairly easy :-)

I definitely don't wash my Cavalier every week, pretty unecessary in my opinion :) As persephone said they do need a good ear clean and brush regularly. You probably already know that they shed like crazy!

Ours do not get washed regularly. Usually only when we are taking them somewhere special, or if they need a flea shampoo.

They do require regular maintenance tho as mentioned already. We even trim their hairs on the pads of their paws. Ours shed heaps, but so do our 2 fluffy cats. If they not brushed regularly they will get matted especially around their ears frown.gif

I love the breed with a passion and they are perfect for our lifestyle smile.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

You will need a good powerhead on your vacuum cleaner for your sofas/lounge laugh.gif

Wanting to train the little guy to stay off them actually, wanting to buy a chair just for him with cousin and blanket for his spot :-)

Wanting to train the little guy to stay off them actually, wanting to buy a chair just for him with cousin and blanket for his spot :-)

Goodluck with that laugh.gif

Are you waiting on a breeders list ?

Does that mean that you have tried lol oh well I will have sheets on them just in case :-)

Well I have contacted a breeder from the dogzonline list but yet to hear back from them.

I gave up trying years ago lol, they usually have YOU trained in the first 24 hours laugh.gif

All the best with hearing back from the breeder. Sometimes theres a fairly long waiting list with some of them. And you may have to email/call them again if you don't hear back from them.

We just got our 3rd one 'Miah' earlier this year biggrin.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I gave up trying years ago lol, they usually have YOU trained in the first 24 hours laugh.gif

All the best with hearing back from the breeder. Sometimes theres a fairly long waiting list with some of them. And you may have to email/call them if you don't hear back from them.

We just got our 3rd one 'Miah' earlier this year biggrin.gif

I can't wait, I hate waiting lol, so I try not to check my mail box to often lol :-) they sound like great dogs :-) Which color do you prefer? I love the tri but they only breed the ruby and chestnut and white(my second fav).

Ive been waiting for years for the right time for our recent one, totally worth it biggrin.gif

We have 2 Blenheim's (as you can see in my profile pic), but I have always wanted a Tri colour Cav, and now we have one yayyy!

Ruby's are very pretty too.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Ive been waiting for years for the right time for our recent one, totally worth it biggrin.gif

We have 2 Blenheim's (as you can see in my profile pic), but I have always wanted a Tri colour Cav, and now we have one yayyy!

Ruby's are very pretty too.

Is there a place where I can see pics of your crew? :D :D

Does that mean that you have tried lol oh well I will have sheets on them just in case :-)

Well I have contacted a breeder from the dogzonline list but yet to hear back from them.

It's not that you can't teach it NOT to sit on the couch. You can. It's just that Cavalier KCS have a love of "perching" on high places and the couch or back of or armrests are a favourite.

Also the bigger factor is the couch is where YOU are and Cavaliers are very much a people dog and want to be as close to you as they can be.

Re grooming, bath when needed, just like any other dog and a few minutes brushing each day keeps a coat (and dog) healthy. They have a sensitive skin so make sure the shampoo is appropriate for a sensitive skin.

(P.S. Picture on next page of my couch potatoes) :)

Edited by LizT

It's not that you can't teach it NOT to sit on the couch. You can. It's just that Cavalier KCS have a love of "perching" on high places and the couch or back of or armrests are a favourite.

Also the bigger factor is the couch is where YOU are and Cavaliers are very much a people dog and want to be as close to you as they can be.

Re grooming, bath when needed, just like any other dog and a few minutes brushing each day keeps a coat (and dog) healthy. They have a sensitive skin so make sure the shampoo is appropriate for a sensitive skin.

Well should be doable then, I only sit on the couch at night time hehe.

Bathing doesn't have to be weekly but a clean coat is easier to brush.

They shed alot BUT this can be minimized by using the correct tools & working on the coat .

Most pet owners have the slippers on there feet trimmed tight but others like it.

I hand strip alot of my dogs when being bathed as it removes more coat ,i generally use a slick n easy at bath time you can also use a flea or nit comb for the cheaper scale

Hi Slznck :)

I have a blenheim girl & a ruby on the way.. (8 more sleeps!) Yah!

I don't find that they are too much work. I bath Lucy every 4 - 6 weeks & at the same time trim her nails & pads.

I give her a good brush once or twice a week. Her ears need brushing the most as they are quite long & prone to knots. If you dont' keep on top of them they are really hard to get out :) Every time I bath her I squirt some epitoc in her ears & give them a massage. She had frequent ear infections as a pup but I can't remember the last time she had one.

Lucy only ever sits on the couch either on me or next to me when I sit down, otherwise she is just folling me around or if she gets bored of doing that she goes in her crate :) They like to be with their people :)

Yes they shed ALOT. I've got a dyson animal & a roomba robot vacuum cleaner & an enjo floor cleaner & between all 3 of them my floors are still hairy. :laugh: :laugh: I don't enjoy housework!

I hope you get your cav soon! How exciting!

PS - Pop over to the ckcs breed sub forum thread! :)