Attacked By Dog

Alyosha

So my teenage son's girlfriend has a dysfunctional family. They have an out of control, young male entire dog that has the run of the house, steals food from the disabled daughter's grasp, basically does whatever he wants. Looks like a GSD x kelpie, bit bigger than a kelpie, rangy (read as skinny - not fed well), black with a very sheppy head.

Tonight I go to collect son, the dog is doing the usual bouncing at windows, glaring and barking at me from inside while I stand on the front porch. Young sister (about 10) opens the door to tell me son is coming.

Dog barges past her and comes at me. Launches at me, barking, snarling and snapping. I back up against garage wall and get a couple of kicks into his chest. Dog then runs off up the street, hackles up, stiff legged, growling and barking. Poor young girl goes rushing onto the road after him, despite my protests, in her barefeet.

So I shout for teenagers to come help (bloody useless and slow as usual!), and can hear dog growing and barking around corner and girl shouting at him. I go to the street at the front of the house and dog comes back around the corner, still stiff legged and hackled up. I try to call him as the girl is hysterical and chasing him an I want them off the road. So I do the friendly, "come on" sort of calling (should've known better as he was still stiff - but I really wanted the kid off the road).

Dog rushes me again. Launches at my face but I get a knee into him. Then keeps lunging at me, snapping and snarling, while I kick and knee him back. Poor kid is trying to grab his neck (no collar) and I'm shouting at her to get away from him, his teeth are snapping centimetres from her face.

Dog grabs my cardigan a few times then finally gives up and runs back into house. It shook me up. It was intense and continued. And I thought he was going to hurt the kid by accident when she was trying to grab him.

I genuinely worry that, if I had been a person with a small child at their front door, it could've been pretty nasty. It was only my feet and knees that kept him from getting hold of me around my lower body and arms.

I could almost forgive the attack on the front porch, he's at home alone with the kids. But to run off down the street carrying on like he did, and come back at me so intensely when I was on the street in front of the house and the kids weren't with him really rattled me.

Doesn't to me seem like suitable suburban dog behaviour. Am I over reacting? I've been rushed by rural dogs many times visiting properties for work etc, but barking and posturing etc seemed a long way from what this dog was doing.

I really want to report it, but it will obviously come back on the kids a bit - an they are too often home alone without adult care. Slight dilemma. Hmm.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jebus :dropjaw:

Dog meant business Aloysha.... it's another incident waiting to happen.

Report it - I know you feel for the teens but the next person might not react as well as you did.

Are there holes in your cardigan?

You OK? I'd need a stiff drink after that.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

My instinct is report. The dog is dangerous and not under effective control. Going for your face, coming back and going you again, left under the control of children - an accident waiting to happen if the adults don't change the management. And you are used to big dogs, not someone likely to misread his intent.

But the family fall out is hard and complicating, not sure what you can do there.

I'm assuming the parents are unlikely to respond well to a discuusion about the incident.

Edited by Diva

Shit! That's pretty full on I don't think you're overreacting at all Alyosha. How scary, and horrid for both you and the young owner :(

First instinct is to report, but I can see why you're hesitant. Do you think if it was reported the family would respond accordingly? Or are they likely to ignore any advice etc from council?

I hope you're ok.

Edited by Aussie3

The first two glasses of wine went down mighty fast HW when I finally got home!! It was a long and shaky drive... No holes in cardigan - it's pretty stretchy!

W Sibs I agree, I do still think I have to report it. If a kid had been grabbed, even just in amongst such an intense display, I don't think I'd forgive myself. I was amazed he didn't find another dog owner when he ran off as there are usually people out and about with little fluffies etc in the late afternoon.

But you nailed it Diva - the poor little girl thinks the world of him. But I don't think they have much love in their lives unfortunately. :(

Unfortunately Aussie I don't think the father would be responsible. He isn't generally - hence the dog being so out of control and the kids alone so much (even the physically disabled one).

He won't desex because it costs. I don't think he will pay any fines or costs. The dog is a real barker too and may have had council intervention previously as it's a close suburb. The easy option that would fit his attitude of everything being everyone else's fault would be for him to put the dog down. Then blame me or anyone else.

The first two glasses of wine went down mighty fast HW when I finally got home!! It was a long and shaky drive... No holes in cardigan - it's pretty stretchy!

W Sibs I agree, I do still think I have to report it. If a kid had been grabbed, even just in amongst such an intense display, I don't think I'd forgive myself. I was amazed he didn't find another dog owner when he ran off as there are usually people out and about with little fluffies etc in the late afternoon.

But you nailed it Diva - the poor little girl thinks the world of him. But I don't think they have much love in their lives unfortunately. :(

Option 1 is to try and talk to the family... explain how serious the attack was and offer some suggestions about management. You have the background for that.

But if they fail to grasp the gravity of what happened, I'd say a report is the best way to prevent a really serious incident. You weren't the only person at risk tonight.

He was really rattled Ruby - and he missed it, but he could see how shaken I was. And I told his girlfriend that the dog was lucky I didn't have a gun... Whoops... :o

Son doesn't have much time for dog either as he has had to tell it off for jumping on bedridden disabled sister and stealing her food. But he doesn't want the father to blame the girls for what happened which I can understand too.

He was really rattled Ruby - and he missed it, but he could see how shaken I was. And I told his girlfriend that the dog was lucky I didn't have a gun... Whoops... :o

Son doesn't have much time for dog either as he has had to tell it off for jumping on bedridden disabled sister and stealing her food. But he doesn't want the father to blame the girls for what happened which I can understand too.

Why can't they put the dog outside when she's got food? Not beyond the realms of possiblity that she will be at risk from the dog before this is over.

I agree, you have to report. You're a dog person and can obviously tell when there is intent, and it's only likely to escalate unless the owners take it seriously and enlist the help of a behaviourist.

Edited by melzawelza

Sounds like the dog might be reflecting back all the dysfunction and stress in the house, despite his behaviour I feel a bit sorry for him. And a lot sorry for the little girl who loves him. But it was beyond acceptable behaviour, it is a dangerous situation.

Edited by Diva

Why can't they put the dog outside when she's got food? Not beyond the realms of possiblity that she will be at risk from the dog before this is over.

There's a lot of things they could do but suggesting them won't help if they don't want to listen.

I should have been clearer before. I meant how does your son feel about reporting the dog? Perhaps having the council come around and discuss the financial implications of having the dog land a bite might make them decide to do something - seeing as the financial aspect seems to be the responsible adults only concern.

Son seems to support reporting it Ruby. I think he's worried the girlfriend will blame herself, but keeps telling her it's not hers, or even the dog's fault. Which I thought was pretty perceptive.

I think I'll ring the rangers in the morning and see what they want to do. Thanks guys for letting me bounce thoughts off you all.