Oscar Is Home After Surgery

Guest Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

Oscar is home after surgery...

He had six tumours removed and six lymph nodes tested for metastasis (cancer cells).

He has just woken up - he slept from about 5pm. The poor thing was screeching like a monkey when I turned up at the vet's. Not from pain (he is on painkillers); he had just had enough of being a patient.

I don't understand why more vets don't use Laser Surgery. For a lot of reasons it sounds so much better. After the way he reacted to the surgery today, I'm hesitant to put him through general anaesthetic again. He is really, really unhappy.

His blood and urine tests are normal and healthy.

Off topic: the 'crush' I had on my vet has completely gone :laugh:

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

Glad to hear poor Oscar is home after his ordeal. Give him some extra love and pats from Zeus, Kirah and myself. We wish him all the best!! :hug:

Thanks! :)

Guest Maeby Fünke

Willow sends her gentle regards to Oscar, and hopes he is feeling very much better this morning.

Thanks... He's in a better mood, though he isn't back to his normal self.

Congrats on the histiocytoma... awesome news :)

Guest Maeby Fünke

Some dogs can get very vocal when coming out of an anaesthetic...

T.

What you're saying makes sense, thank you...

My vet was running behind yesterday, so when I arrived he was only just coming out of the anaesthetic and being taken off the drip. Normally, he would have had all day to recover.

He sat in the kitchen with me this morning while I made his chicken, rice and vegetables... That seemed to perk him up. And he had no problem scoffing down his breaky. He is snoring his head off in his crate now.

It can take a good 24hrs for them to recover from a GA. And before/during surgery they are given a cocktail of drugs to sedate them, relieve pain, etc. This means that when they wake up, they can feel, well pretty much stoned. :) They feel confused and topsy turvy which is why they cry and act weird.

Glad it all went well and hopefully he's back to normal soon.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Thanks for the good vibes... I just cleaned his stitches and I used 30 cotton balls (and warm salt water)!