How Do Others Get On With A Bad Back

chook007

Hi all, Just wonder how others cope with a bad back & if you are still able to show & do the things you would like to be doing.

I have had a back problem for a while now & have had to cut back on the things I can do.

I have had two back operations, one in 2002 and one in 2006 and was wondering about the same thing. As you can see from my avatar I have five dogs and I manage to groom all of them myself. I have it set up that while I blow dry them I can sit on a lower table so I don't stand as long.

Nearly two years ago I brought a Newfoundland that I wanted to show, I was not sure how my back would handle it but I wanted to try.

I managed to take and set up all my gear like gazebos, grooming table and carry a 2kva generator ( this is the hardest to manage) I have brought a trolly to carry it if needed. I made sure I had good shoes for running around the ring and touch wood I havant had a problem. We showed quite a lot through 2012 even to three days shows where I slept over on an air bed. I may not stride out like a the other people running around but its good enough to get away with.

It does really depend on what your back problem is, maybe have a talk to your Dr about what they think your limitations are.

What breed of dog do you intend showing that might also make a difference, having a giant breed dog actually helps me.Now he is two he can jump on and off the grooming table himself and in and out of the car. Plus I dont have to bend down to pat him. :)

Good luck and I hope you can get out in the show ring, its lots of fun and you meet great people. :thumbsup:

for me it depends on the breed, showing the minis is much more intensive, bathing them close to show time, all the extra grooming gear and tables etc to take along, whereas my giant can be prepared a few days or more before a show, with just a beard wash the night before and a lead and brush with me at the show.

also watching what i do time wise at the shows, standing for to long hurts, so i need to remember to sit for a bit, every so often.

At the moment I only have 1 short coated breed and my back is reasonable.

I would not be able to wash two or more dogs in a row, I cramp up and it hurts a lot once I finish the first dog. Would probably be different if I had a raised bath, but I don't. I'm very glad I don't have to do a lot of grooming and clipping.

Showing itself is fairly easy, my husband helps me with everything. Even though I'm generally always in some degree of pain, I do push myself and will carry my show stuff.

Sitting for long periods hurts, but I just get up and walk around. The day itself doesn't hurt as much as the night.

But of course, very dependent on your specific problem. I've been told it's just a soft tissue injury - because they can't find anything else.

short coated dogs, lots of pain killers and a very helpful daughter! I have just started showing again (going in the ring) after a 6 month lay off. I also have a stuffed shoulder which combined with my back can make stacking my dog a bit difficult as I don't have a lot of stretch. I stack the front then have to step to nearly behind the dog to do the rear. In a lineup that can be hard if there is not much room behind my dog. I also don't have the hand strength to hold my dogs head straight so he does swivel it around a bit, thankfully he rarely moves once stacked. Just the head :D

I don't play for sheep stations so accept my limitations and do my best. I also swap around the chairs I sit in and make sure I am warmed up. Also take your time to set up and pack up. Think about how you are going to hammer those pegs in. I get down on my knees and use 2 hands. No more bending over and crouching down is also out for me.