Losing Weight

I am trying to lose weight on my spayed female SBT. It has been about a month since I have been a bitch (according to her) and put her on Royal Canin Weight Control and a couple of times a week she gets a roo bone instead of her kibble. No snacks and when we do training it comes out of her kibble ration. She also goes for an offlead run four times a week for about half an hour.

Her waist is shrinking rapidly but she is still quite fatty around her rib cage and her chest, I can't easily feel her ribs through her skin.

I know with myself when I lose weight, it seems to come off from my bust downwards. Do dogs lose weight in certain areas first? And how realistic should I be about how quickly should she lose weight?

She was 25kg, she is down to about 23kg at the moment. I am not trying to focus on the weight number though, just how she looks. Should I be able to see her ribs showing through?

You should be able to EASILY feel her ribs - not see them.

Consider how long has it taken her to get overweight, 2 kg in a month is pretty good going. They all lose weight differently (just like people) but yes I have found they do tend to hold on to the fat around their chest and brisket longest.

Thanks Sandra, was told that I should be able to see her ribs, didn't think this was correct for a SBT. The weight really fell off quite quickly around her waist, I'm sure the weight loss will regulate itself (just like in people!)

True, she did put weight on by stealth and by my not regulating what she ate properly and it did take a while to go on.

Just thinking I really varied my boy's exercise while I increased it. We have always had a fair bit of exercise but I included more hill work & swimming . Swimming is great as there is no stress on their bodies. I did exercise plus cut food by one third & tweaked his diet a bit. Added mash pumkin as a filler. No weight isues again. He looks great now, very happy :)

It's such a game of trial and error with weight loss in animals. I don't have experience with dogs, but trying to get some weight of my cat was murder. If you've got 2 kilos off her so far, you've done a fantastic job -- there's a guy at my local dog park who thinks that by clipping his overweight cocker spaniel makes him "look slimmer". *rolls eyes*

Like BC Crazy suggested, try getting your girl to go swimming; it's amazing exercise for dogs and humans. Ribs should be easily felt, but not seen (poke out) in any breed and jut remember the being a SBT, your girl will still be more strongly built in the chest area than other breeds of dog.

Maybe even have a chat to your breeder about the recommended weight range for her line of SBT.

Thanks guys. She is doing well, I might try to mix up her exercise a bit. She doesn't particularly like swimming, unlike my other dog, which is a pity as we have a pool.

Lol, Zug Zug, those pleading brown eyes are tough to ignore but we are staying strong :laugh:

Edited by korbin13

Yeah I had to diet a beagle once (my sister's dog). Hardest part was ignoring her constant whining and sulking and big sad eyes. She looked like a lactating sow at the start. It wasn't easy, although it sounds easy to feed less doesn't it? And deep down we have to make it easy by being firm in our decision to do what is best for the dog.

Wow it was so worth it in the end. It was like she was a puppy again. An amazing transformation.

You're doing the right thing!

Diet food for dogs is such a gimmick, and so not necessary. Just feed her less. Dogs only beg and sulk if they're used to getting rewarded for it, so just ignore it and they will get over it. When they give up, do a quick training session using some of their daily food allowance just to put something in their stomach.

Diet food for dogs is such a gimmick, and so not necessary. Just feed her less. Dogs only beg and sulk if they're used to getting rewarded for it, so just ignore it and they will get over it. When they give up, do a quick training session using some of their daily food allowance just to put something in their stomach.

Actually the premium weight control foods often have extra fibre to assist satiety and some have L- carnitine to help convert fat to muscle whilst the dog still receives the correct amounts of vitamins and minerals.

Reducing food can cause vitamin deficiency, and places extra strain on organs which is not what you want. There is no need for it these days and the dog is clearly losing weight on the food it is on. :)

Just steady as you go korbin13, with dogs and cats it comes off slower but that's a safer way to go. :)

Minimise food and increase exercise - same in humans :)

I used a Royal Canin weight loss kibble on my Lab x and his overall condition went down hill, his coat was terrible. I prepared a Roo BARF myself and really did minimise his intake and up his exercise and he lost weight and his condition improved.

Reducing food has to be done correctly, so often we're over feeding them anyway - well if they're overweight we definitely are so it's not like you're doing anything negative - you will actually be feeding what they SHOULD be getting. My Lab x only needs 50 grams morning and evening to maintain his weight - all dogs are different, the label is only a guide. If you're concerned about loss in mineral and vitamins then use a supplement - there are plenty around:

For example:

http://store.augusti...uperboost-220g/

http://www.greenpet....SSENTIALS-.html

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/VPORGT#.UXuEmJZ-_mI

Also consider a digestive aid so you know your dog is getting the most out of its food: http://www.greenpet....DER-CANINE.html

Edited by sas

Thanks SAS, those links are great.

She is looking quite good on the Royal Canin, although I do give her a teaspoon of coconut oil everyday as for some reason it 'deodorizes' her!

We are quite active, so exercise has never been a problem, we bush walk and do about 15km twice a month as well the four off lead walks weekly and throwing the ball, training etc on the other days.

Previously she was fed VAN with roo meat which my other dog is still on because I really do love it, and she will go back on it.

I went with the kibble option, because part of this weight loss process has been about retraining me! Previously she was getting VAN, training treats and plenty of tid bits but kibble is very visual (if that makes sense!!), I measure it out every morning and she gets nothing but the kibble, so the kibble is used as training treats, I have cut out the ad hoc feeding during the day completely.

So when I go back to the VAN, I'm hoping to be able to have more self control myself and will probably continue to use the weight loss kibble as training treats, and cut back a bit on the VAN for her main meal.

What has really surprised me though is how much she has lost off her waist!! She has quite a tuck after her ribs but is still holding a lot of weight on the chest and ribs. She actually has a six pack of fat on her chest :(