Is This Wrong?

There is a rescue group in Qld that I follow on facebook. I don't know why as I already haven't had a good experience with them...

They have recently posted a photo of a dog that was found - with a collar on but apparently no tags. They didn't want to take it to the pound in case it was PTS. When they were talking about foster carers I commented and asked if it had been microchiped as no mention of that so far. They wrote back and said no microchip.....

I was already annoyed as they were going to put it in foster care - if I was this dogs owner how am I meant to find it if it's in someone's backyard?? One of the first places I would look would be all local pounds. The microchip could have moved....

I've just checked the latest today and it has been re-homed! Given to a person who doesn't live in the area. What right do they have to do this? 24 hours they had this dog for and have 'forever homed' it.

Surely this can't be legal?

It is a widespread problem, people take it upon themselves to keep or rehome animals with next to no effort made to allow an owner to find them. I groomed a little dog a while back and when the owners collected it they were telling me they picked it up whilst traveling around on holidays, it was out on the street at 5am so obviously no one owned it or didn't deserve to keep it. Someone several states away lost a pet that day.

Do you need 16Ds in QLD? if so you can report them to the local government/council as breaking the law.

I don't know - I'm really not up with the in's and out's of rescue - but it just seems totally wrong to me....

Edited by Lisey

It is wrong for MANY reasons:

1) It is paramount to theft i.e. they have not gone through appropriate channels i.e taken the dog to council or RSPCA to afford the owner every opportunity to find it.

2) It has not done its legal impounding or holding time so they are reselling a dog that is legally not theirs to do so. ETA if they were worried it would be pts they could have put their name down as first to adopt/take it after legal impounding time.

3) Did they give it a chip? If not it is also illegal to rehome without a microchip.

4) Did they do all vetwork? If not they cannot call themselves a rescue.

5) How can they appropriately place an animal in the right home after 24 hours. Not only is the temperament unlikely to be accurately assessed in such a short time, what about quarantine and potential health issues they may have passed onto to a new owner?

Report them. This sounds nothing remotely like rescue. It is theft of someones pet - no consideration for a likely distraught owner, no respect for council policies and regulations themselves and no ethics to speak of with respect to responsible homing of a "foster" animal.

Edited by Just Andrea

It is a widespread problem, people take it upon themselves to keep or rehome animals with next to no effort made to allow an owner to find them. I groomed a little dog a while back and when the owners collected it they were telling me they picked it up whilst traveling around on holidays, it was out on the street at 5am so obviously no one owned it or didn't deserve to keep it. Someone several states away lost a pet that day.

This stuff makes me so sad.....

It is wrong for MANY reasons:

1) It is paramount to theft i.e. they have not gone through appropriate channels i.e taken the dog to council or RSPCA to afford the owner every opportunity to find it.

2) It has not done its legal impounding or holding time so they are reselling a dog that is legally not theirs to do so.

3) Did they give it a chip? If not it is also illegal to rehome without a microchip.

4) Did they do all vetwork? If not they cannot call themselves a rescue.

5) How can they appropriately place an animal in the right home after 24 hours. Not only is the temperament unlikely to be accurately assessed in such a short time, what about quarantine and potential health issues they may have passed onto to a new owner?

Report them. This sounds nothing remotely like rescue. It is theft of someones pet - no consideration for a likely distraught owner, no respect for council policies and regulations themselves and no ethics to speak of with respect to responsible homing of a "foster" animal.

Who do I report it to? Local council where the dog was found - council of where it is now living?

I don't know the exact details and if money was exchanged, etc. But the 'rescue' posted the original picture/story and from there it was organised through the facebook comments to firstly go to foster care - then it was advised that he is in his new forever home by one of the people commenting. Not sure if any of the rescue's carers even met the dog.

I'd also keep an eye out for people reporting their lost dog and call them with the information you know.

And particularly this - you could even put notices in vets, shelters, with radio stations that a dog of x description was found in x area...... hopefully an owner will see it - you can then pass on details of who acquired said dog to them and to police and a formal complaint, maybe even charges can be lodged if they take it further.....

It would be the best deterrant to groups doing or continuing to do this in future.......

I'm pretty sure it is illegal to do what you are saying has been done... in any state...

T.

Yep, when you dont own something and you transfer it into new ownership that's got a particular word associated with it. It starts with a T and ends in HEFT.

They could have impounded the dog, put their name on and if unclaimed, rescued and rehomed it completely legally.

There is no 16D in Qld. Animals have to be kept for a minimum of 3 days. They can be kept at your home but the local Council where they were found must be advised. After that you can legally rehome the animal. Many of the regional councils don't provide any transfer papers to rescue at all. In some cases they don't even microchip the dogs.

There is no 16D in Qld. Animals have to be kept for a minimum of 3 days. They can be kept at your home but the local Council where they were found must be advised. After that you can legally rehome the animal. Many of the regional councils don't provide any transfer papers to rescue at all. In some cases they don't even microchip the dogs.

Oh wow. OK.

Thank you for the information.

The time the animal has to be held can be different in other Council areas so you'd need to check with that Council for their rules.