Watch Out For Ticks At The Moment!

I just pulled the 4th tick of ME in the last few days. I usually don't get them myself and yet suddenly we have been swamped with them so this is a warning o everyone not to get lax with your tick preventative measures just because it's coming into the colder time of year, they are still very active. I took one off this morning which was a paralysis tick and I suspect had been on me since Sunday and may have been the cause of the nasty headache and lethargy I had for the last two days, since removing it this morning my headache has gradually disappeared whereas even pain killers weren't helping before finding the tick.

I am in the Jervis Bay area of NSW.

Thought there would still be plenty about cause it has been so warm for this time of year still. I hate them with a passion, they can cause such havic for such a tiny thing.

Hope you are ok kelpie cuddles.

Edited by BC Crazy

I'm up near Toowoomba in Queensland, and we've had huge problems with ticks. Just pulled one off a calf yesterday, so the cooler weather is definitely not stopping them. I think the very wet weather, combined with the warm temperatures has caused a huge influx of them.

I always think I'm being over-protective by keeping my fortnightly advantix all year round, especially as we aren't in a HIGH HIGH tick area, but just a 'normal' tick area. But it's not something I'd take a chance with.

Thanks for the heads up! I, too, live on the south coast.

Whitney is still wearing her tick collar, but I will Frontline both of them tonight. They are due today anyway, but I was wondering if I shouldn't bother because it's getting cooler. Now I will definitely do it. :thanks:

Yep i live in the Jervis Bay area also, I have still been pulling paralysis ticks off my cat. Im lucky he is immune to them. Im still putting frontline on the dog every two weeks and checking daily

• 6 months later...

OMG Brunobella I'm ever so sorry for your loss :(

It only takes one tick to kill. The first the signs of tick posioning can be so insignificant that they go undetected. A slight change in your dogs bark. A slight wobble in their gait.

Please don't blame yourself BB. I have always lived in tick area's & I have missed a tick on occassion while doing their daily tick check. I detest them with a passion. For such a small insect they can cause tremendous heart ache for dog owners.

Between them & snakes ,they are both a constant worry.

Thoughts are with you at this very difficult time. Be kind to yourself. Hugs to you.

Edited by BC Crazy

Yes to the Advantix. I do mine every fortnight all year around as there doesn't seem to be an " off season" with them as there was years ago.

Daily tick searches are also a must. Just using your finger ttips go all over your dog against the way his coat lies. Also check ears, anus, feet between toes & under stopper on front legs.

Edited by BC Crazy