Surviving Haemolytic Anaemia

3 1/2 weeks ago my Aussie bitch was diagnosed with Haemolytic Anaemia, she is on Prednil but, after initial good response, her blood count is still dropping slowly, we are starting her on Imuran in conjunction with Prednil today. Vet was hesitant to use Imuran initially due to side effects, now at this point it is a matter of weighing risks.

Would be interested to hear from people whose dogs have survived this disease.

Thanks in advance for any input.

So sorry to hear about your girl, Austerra. It's a horrible condition - and very hard to treat successfully. I lost my first BC to it - he went from apparently fit to death within just a few days. So it's good that your girl is holding.

If you do a search on "IMHA" in the forums - using the Search button on the top right of the page (as it displays on PC - it wouldn't show on my phone) - you'll find a number of threads on it. From what I've read, transfusions are often required as well as the immune suppression.

I hope you and your girl will be among the lucky ones.

So sorry to hear about your girl, Austerra. It's a horrible condition - and very hard to treat successfully. I lost my first BC to it - he went from apparently fit to death within just a few days. So it's good that your girl is holding.

If you do a search on "IMHA" in the forums - using the Search button on the top right of the page (as it displays on PC - it wouldn't show on my phone) - you'll find a number of threads on it. From what I've read, transfusions are often required as well as the immune suppression.

I hope you and your girl will be among the lucky ones.

Thanks Tassie, yep have already done a search, mainly interested to hear of ones that have come through and what treatment seemed to be the turning point. She is holding, caught her early but Prednil only stopping her from plummeting, it isn't enough to make her reach a turning point. So we wait and see if Imuran does the trick. At least she is eating so that is helping keep her strength up.

That sounds promising. I always think if they're interested in eating, it's a good sign.

The ones I've heard of who survived were certainly treated aggressively with Imuran and/or similar immune supressing drugs - and I think were transfused too. At least you have access to transfusion there.

What's her mdr1 gene status - does that limit your range of options at all?

That sounds promising. I always think if they're interested in eating, it's a good sign.

The ones I've heard of who survived were certainly treated aggressively with Imuran and/or similar immune supressing drugs - and I think were transfused too. At least you have access to transfusion there.

What's her mdr1 gene status - does that limit your range of options at all?

Sorry wasn't familiar with mdr1, on googling I had better clarify that I am talking about an Aussie Terrier, not an Australian Shepherd.

Edited by Austerra

I am no expert, but I have had a dog die of this disease. The two successful recovery cases I am familiar with were cases where the vet worked with the owner to treat the dog at home. Because the dogs experience even small physical efforts as something like an Everest Climb when they are ill with this disease, keeping them rested, very secure, and in a low demand environment seems to assist.

I had a dog with this - it was masked by the Pred and Imuran which was treating the IM poly arthritis.

Stress free was good but as I knew it was just a matter of time for my boy (he was not even 2) I made sure he got enjoyment from life.

I can't help with recovery case sorry.

I had a 10 yr old Groenendael survive this. He was diagnosed early, no thanks to the vet who tried to send me home saying there wasn't anything wrong with him, but I knew in my heart he was unwell and insisted on a blood test.

He was on cortisone for several weeks at home, and lived another 2 years in good health until he died of a hemangiosarcoma on the heart. I have sometimes wondered if they were related conditions.

I had a young spaniel survive this in the mid 1990's. At the time he was one of the top Field Trial performers and very fit - which probably stood him in good stead as we realised immediately that he was not well and got good diagnosis and treatment early. I seem to remember that he was on cortisone for quite some time but he went on to win more Field Trials later in his life and died of a stroke aged 13/14.

After only a few days on Imuran my girl has come up slightly, hoping that it may be good sign, see what her bloods are on Monady again. Like you, JRG, we have noticed and got her on treatment early.