Agility Question

Depends what organisation you are trialling in. ANKC a knocked bar is a 5 point fault, so no qually. (You only get a qually with 0 faults, time or course) In NADAC you can still qualify with one bar down, depending on what stream of competition you have entered (NADAC has 2 but can't remember what they are called offhand.) NADAC quallies are worth 10 points towards your title but you can get a 5 point qually with just one knocked bar.

Not sure about what happens in ADAA.

ANKC in qld we are doing. Wow I didn't know that you cant have any faults for a qually! Thanks!

Yes & that is why they are not that easy to get :laugh: Very few dogs at a trial will get a quallie, so don't feel bad or embarassed if you have a fault or two. It's all about having fun with your dog :) Most people are happy if they get round the course without being DQ'd (Disqualified). The vast majority of dogs in a trial will get DQ'd.

What sheena said - you'll find that some of your most enjoyable runs might end up being NQ or even DQ - but apart from the particular fault, you and the dog worked really well as a team. And sometimes you'll get a Q, but it won't have been a nice run. For me, it's about always trying to improve the teamwork the dog and I are doing. The Qs if they come are a bonus. :laugh:

:rofl: Kavik ... and don't you hate it when it's one you hadn't even factored in - but your dog spots it immediately :laugh: .

That happened in a couple of runs at my last trial :laugh: - I didn't think he would even look at the tunnel, but he saw it alright :laugh:

What the others have said......

To give you an idea - I used to tally the numbers of qually cards issued to ADAA clubs. Typically it comes to between 12% and 15% depending on the judge.

I agree. My favourite run of all time had a knocked bar and a refusal in it, but was soooooooo much fun. Just enjoy it and the cards will come in time.

GOOD LUCK!!

ANKC in qld we are doing. Wow I didn't know that you cant have any faults for a qually! Thanks!

Yes & that is why they are not that easy to get :laugh: Very few dogs at a trial will get a quallie, so don't feel bad or embarassed if you have a fault or two. It's all about having fun with your dog :) Most people are happy if they get round the course without being DQ'd (Disqualified). The vast majority of dogs in a trial will get DQ'd.

Oh... What constitutes a dq? It's just hard as we have to travel 10 hours to get to any comps, a qually would be nice :) but, am looking forward to it anyways, regardless of the outcome :)

Oh... What constitutes a dq? It's just hard as we have to travel 10 hours to get to any comps, a qually would be nice :) but, am looking forward to it anyways, regardless of the outcome :)

A DQ is when the dog takes an off course obstacle eg. instead of taking jump 9, he takes the tunnel or he jumps 9 the wrong way (back jumps)..that is an instant DQ & even though you finish the rest of your run, no points are scored & you cannot win a place. You can be DQ'd also for things like being dangerous with equipment, touching your dog or going back to your dog after you have crossed the start line, abusing your dog. But...hey...don't worry about it, even the best handlers & dogs get more DQ's than Q's. :laugh: it's all part of the fun. What ever you do, try not to show your disappointment to your dog...99% of faults are handler/training error & not the dogs fault.

Important about a DQ - unless you are asked to leave the ring for whatever reason you are able to finish your run. It is VERY rare that just because your dog takes an off course you would have to leave the ring.

Occasionally we will do it in ADAA for games, but other than that I don't think I've seen anyone have to leave the ring unless they have been excused for harsh handling or some other badness.

Being asked to leave the ring after a DQ will sometimes happen in huge busy trials like Nationals - but even then, handlers are usually instructed (at the beginning of the event) to just leave the ring as quickly as possible, via any combination of jumps that will let the dog have fun, but still get the show moving. (I can remember a Masters course in Adelaide where one of my cinsiderations when I walked the course, was which was going to be my way out after we DQd :laugh: . (In fact, we didn't DQ - went clear but slightly over time - and won an award for the best run by a non-titled dog on that course :D )

To the OP - in some ways, you can really use a DQ as a training opportunity - by running the rest of the course as fast and hard as you can - maybe taking less conservative handling options. For example, trusting the dog to weave independently instead of baby-sitting. So you can turn the negative of a DQ - or even an NQ, into a big positive for you and the dog.

To the OP - in some ways, you can really use a DQ as a training opportunity - by running the rest of the course as fast and hard as you can - maybe taking less conservative handling options. For example, trusting the dog to weave independently instead of baby-sitting.

rofl1.gif I do that every run! Maybe that's why we DQ so much!

:rofl: Vickie - you could be right. My DQ percentage seems to be going down a bit - maybe because my handling is getting a bit better :) - but more likely because although Kirra is still feral, she might have slowed down a fraction. :)