Fostering A Relationship Between Puppy And Resident Dogs

moosepup

At the moment the relationship consists mainly of avoidance and the hairy eyeball. :laugh: There has been the odd snap too.

I realise that it will take time but if anyone has any tips that have worked for them to help enable the relationships between your new puppy and your current dog/s I'd love to hear them. Even just some dos and don'ts. :)

Edited by moosepup

At the moment the relationship consists mainly of avoidance and the hairy eyeball. :laugh: There has been the odd snap too.

I realise that it will take time but if anyone has any tips that have worked for them to help enable the relationships between your new puppy and your current dog/s I'd love to hear them. Even just some dos and don'ts. :)

Tell ya in a couple of weeks. :laugh:

It's been a long time since I've introduced pups with older dogs.

I find the older dogs love their routine and so I keep puppy out of their face as much as I can until they decide he's fun. I had a very bold (lovely) young pup stay with me for a few months and it was really interesting. He threw himself on the couch and received a very restrained hiss and swipe from my eldest cat for his troubles. That cat's daughter is very sweet and pup had much less respect for her than her Mama so I had to be more vigilant. Youngest cat hissed once and then launched straight into pup-cat play/wrestle/chase mode so supervision required (to protect pup!) Entire male Dalmatian was disappointed pup wasn't a female and was very disinterested in playing. He put pup in his place several times very appropriately and pup was reasonably respectful although he continued to push his luck. Entire female Springer thought pup was AWFUL....a week of growling and barking in disgust with the pup ignoring all that and playing with her regardless. Suddenly Em decided he was FUN and they played non stop for several hours - quite brilliant to watch it all unfold :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Thanks pers, I think I have been doing that. By uninterrupted do you mean he should be in a totally separate room or is in his pen in the same room while they sit with me ok? He's noisy regardless. :o

I have been making Moose my priority as Zoe doesn't seem too fazed, she snaps at him appropriately and he backs off. Moose will let him sniff his face and crawl over him but doesn't seem entirely comfortable if that makes sense. Is it ok to allow Nacho to do this?

Thanks TSD, I'm hoping Moose has a light bulb moment lol

We had a foster dog for a while last year and there was a bit of growling/snapping in the beginning. We didn't want to make too much of a fuss with it, as often with animals they need to work out their hirachy (sp?) . (within reason of course)

What Pers and TSD has said is the wise thing to do.. they do all need their space too..

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Thanks Jules, will pop over and read your post. I'm keeping him separate most of the time but we periodically all go outside together and I let him run around on the grass with them. He's pretty good and amuses himself while out there and will just go up and give them the odd sniff or pounce. Zoe just stands there looking at him disdainfully :laugh: and Moose looks at him like this O_O.

And then in the evening after dinner when he's a bit calmer I'll let him sit on the lounge with us and they'll all have a snooze.

Moose and Zoe also get everything first, first food, first pats, first attention. Moose has stopped bristling so I'm quietly hopeful that that means progress. :)

its like us humans, we cant expect to like everyone straightaway if we are put into a house/situation together. Sometimes we are going hit it off instantly and sometimes it takes a long time, and sometimes never lol Be aware of the situation but don't make a huge fuss either imo

When Joey used to growl at Miah in the beginning, i would automatically go to tell him off, and my husband would say no let him, he needs to let her know his boundaries . and she needs to learn also. Of course we watched over them closely. Im lucky im home most of the time to supervise, atho im now going out for a hour or 2 every so often and feeling confident they are will all be ok left together.

Yep that's what the vet said to me this morning, it just takes time and be careful not to put human emotion into the situation 'ie. we like everything to be equal'. If you want harmony they need to sort their hierarchy out and you need to show him that M&Z were here first so they set the rules (after me of course). Zoe has done a bit of Nacho humping and puts him in his place so maybe that's why he's a bit more respectful of her.

I just wish we could fast forward so all the hard work was over. :D