Any Ideas? Progressive Paralysis In Puppy

THe lack of pain is a good sign as usually there is pain associated with it.

The age is a bad sign as it often becomes obvious post the first or second vaccination because the immune system cannot cope. Another indication is if the pup is small or runty compared to its litter mates - failing to thrive. If they think it might be, then a bone marrow biopsy will establish if it is TNS. Sadly there are heaps of other autoimmune problems, and of course, it is just one idea.

it fits with greyhound neuropathy, so far only discovered in show bred, but they all came from the same stock at one stage. I hope its not as it's fatal.

I looked that up, from what's been described to me, it sounds very much like what he's got. :( I've emailed his owners the page I read.

it fits with greyhound neuropathy, so far only discovered in show bred, but they all came from the same stock at one stage. I hope its not as it's fatal.

I looked that up, from what's been described to me, it sounds very much like what he's got. :( I've emailed his owners the page I read.

there is a DNA test, a cheek swab is needed, but you have to send it to America. Costs $95. If this disease has now appeared in the race bred greyhound, well ......... I really don't want to think about it. :(

there is a DNA test, a cheek swab is needed, but you have to send it to America. Costs $95. If this disease has now appeared in the race bred greyhound, well ......... I really don't want to think about it. :(

I'll pass the information on to them.

This thread follows the decline of a TNS affected Border Collie puppy. It is a very painful condition so less likely to be what the greyhound is suffering from.

Sick Border Collie puppy

Edited to add that similar conditions occur in many species so it is highly likely that other dogs breeds would also be affected with it.

Edited by dancinbcs

any further news on this pup Kirislin?

Unfortunately the news isn't good. I saw my friends today and the puppy was put down. It had got worse since I described what I knew at the time and it was in pain. The vet felt it was possibly an injury or some kind of problem with its spine that was deteriorating with age. Very sad. :( Thanks for asking.

Unfortunately the news isn't good. I saw my friends today and the puppy was put down. It had got worse since I described what I knew at the time and it was in pain. The vet felt it was possibly an injury or some kind of problem with its spine that was deteriorating with age. Very sad. :( Thanks for asking.

so sad :(

so sad :(

They're upset about it too, they're really dedicated breeders and raise their puppies on the very best food and give them the best care. They've still got 10 fabulous puppies so hopefully all will be well with them. I got to cuddle 2 that he brought inside for a while today. Diego and Tuppy. :D