Does Anyone Ever Get This?

mr.mister

Yes, I too had some "buyers remores".

We adopted Hamish who was 6yrs old approx 6 months ago.

The remorse set in after he snapped at me on day 1, and the bit my husband on day 2, drawing blood.

I did have second thoughts, but gave him the benefit of the doubt, setting in, new surrounds and people.

As time passed he did settle but I came to realise he was allergic to "everything". Many vet visits and lots of $$$ later, I think we are getting a handle on it.

Funny thing is I didn't think I was bonding with this dog, until we were planning a short holiday, and I just couldn't get excited about it, until I realised I didn't want to leave him at home. I was worried about him. Now that I have done some research I have him booked into a lovely "pet resort" I feel a whole lot better about our holiday. Sometimes they worm their way into your hearts without you even realising it.

I have had that a few times with Murphy. Our old dog was 13 & fantastic - she had to be PTS last year & I could not bear the house without a dog. I did heaps of research on what breed of dog would be the best for our family, took ages to actually get a pup (lots of waiting lists) we were all so excited about him coming home. After a few weeks of getting here he started jumping all over the kids, stealing their toys and just being a typical puppy. I really wondered if I'd done the wrong thing getting a puppy with 3 young kids.

Often my kids will say that they miss our old dog :cry: because we could all "just be" around her (if that makes sense) but we love him to bits & I know we did the right thing and eventually he will be our old dog that we can "just be" around.

As a rescuer, I have rehomed many dogs, one of the things I used to do was counsel potential new owners - especially when they hadn't had dogs for a long time - was that they would go through a period of adjustment, as would the dog. You have had a massive change to your life, your routines and so on. It's an adjustment period.

I had sleepless nights for a week when I decided to adopt a dog at 40 - hadn't had a dog for over 15 years due to living in rented accomm. I'd been desperate to have one but then when I found one and adopted him, I was terrified instead of overjoyed and was shocked at what I felt. It's normal though, I was the same when I decided to buy a unit and with a number of other huge decisions.

Give yourself a bit of time to adjust and bond with him. I recommend just allowing him to settle, don't overwhelm him with lots of visitors or attention, even from you. Just establish normal walking routines around the area for a couple of weeks and relax ...

Get some Rescue Remedy - one or two drops for him, one or two drops for you - every few hours! :)

Edited by dogmad

G

ive yourself a bit of time to adjust and bond with him. I recommend just allowing him to settle, don't overwhelm him with lots of visitors or attention, even from you. Just establish normal walking routines around the area for a couple of weeks and relax ... <br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);"><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">Get some Rescue Remedy - one or two drops for him, one or two drops for you - every few hours! :)

:thumbsup:

:)

I'm glad that other people feel this too! When we decided to get my girl a friend last year, we spent a lot of time discussing it and a lot of time looking for the right dog. We found him and we were really excited. The night I brought him home all I could keep asking myself was "have I done the right thing?" even though they got on fine and he settled in straight away. Fast forward 8 months and I'm so glad that we did, he is a great friend for our girl and it feels like he has always been part of the family. As others have said I think it is just the realisation that it is a big commitment and your life is going to change in one way or another.

I hope everything works out for you :)

I often felt like you do MM when I brought Zeus home. He was an impulse pet shop purchase 4 years ago and the first 2 years were a battle. He's a beagle x jrt and I had no idea what I was getting myself into; he was just a sweet little thing and appeared quite quiet. Turns out, he's anything but quiet and is a real firecracker.

I was completely overwhelmed at the amount of energy he had and no amount of running ever tired him out. It took me about a year to realise that he needed mental stimuli so I got involved with training and obedience with him. I saw drastic improvement in his focus and attention and he really appeared to enjoying learning. It's been a long and hard four years, but Zeus is definitely worth all my hard work.

I guess when I bought Zeus, I couldn't remember how much hard work puppies really are -- he's actually the first dog I've ever had soul responsibility for. My family's pet was around 15 when I got him and I didn't have much to do with her upbringing. Give yourself time to settle into a new routine and you'll find you'll get into the swing of things much sooner than you think.

Hope you're feeling better about your puppy today! We need photos! :D

We welcomed our Malamute puppy home in late June last year. She was an oops litter and the breeder needed to rehome ASAP.

We were due to go overseas which was well and truly planned before we knew we were bringing her home. All was fine when she came home. But the constant toileting drove me absolutely bonkers! Actually beyond bonkers for some reason. I felt like I was having the puppy blues and just wanted everything to be perfect. I was sad when the time came for her to return to her breeders for the 3 weeks whilst we went away.

But having that break did me a huge world of good. I almost felt like there were times where I felt I wasn't bonding with her when we bought her home. Getting away from the intensity of having a puppy again did wonders for my soul.

We came back and everything was great. Now fast forward almost a year later, and we have our second puppy. I wonder why I was so uptight in the first place!

You definitely are not alone in these feelings.

I hated Scooter for a really long time. I got him when I was still grieving for Bambi, and my ex took Tucker when we stopped living together. BOY I HATED HIM.

He drove me crazy for a really long time, but I love him to death now, I miss him when he's not around, he actually perks up when he sees me. We're both broken, but we mostly understand each other now.

Pics of your new doggie please? :D